Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default Fitness board

Fitness thread is nearing 2,000 replies. That's more than the "Bits and Bytes" subforum.

If it's approved, it should be located (on the forum menu) either near Chit Chat or as a subforum of Chit Chat, since that's how most people got to it.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski
Default Re: Fitness board

How about you split it up into multiple threads in the newly created sports sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

I like the idea of moving it to the sports subforum myself.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

dude no.

The sports forum should be a subforum of a fitness forum, not the other way around. Fitness encompasses so much more, science-wise, that you'd want to talk about; sports are just a particular type of fitness activity.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

does it really matter? The fitness thread is like 4 people anyways, rename the sports subforum the athletics and fitness board, who cares, def no need for another separate subforum lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow

Last edited by j-rodd123; 10-14-2013 at 09:27 PM..
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

The main reason I think this may be a good idea is because if people want to come in and ask questions, they can simply make a thread, rather than try sifting through that massive fitness thread for information.

Also it would be a cool place for people to even discuss physiology, mental health, etc. Fitness is a broad subject. I agree with j-rodd though. They can easily just rename the sports sub-forum to athletics and fitness.

Last edited by SCWolf; 10-15-2013 at 01:30 AM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I think it's a great idea. Fitness is such a huge subject that you can have threads dedicated to a variety of subjects.

Who do we have to contact to get this shit going? Velocity? bmah?

Sent a PM to both

PS: IMO, I would not have "fitness" and "sports" be the same forum, but that's just me. I'd like for the fitness forum to be dedicated to things like dieting, nutrition, exercising, bodybuilding, weightlifting, health, etc.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-15-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Naw if anything they should be combined, no need for both a sports and a fitness subforum on this site. Athletics and fitness would more than suffice, don't really see any way both subforums independently would thrive, together it would definitely be more active.

Quote:
wow
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
don't really see any way both subforums independently would thrive
Right, so, there are several reasons people have posed here for why it's viable as a single forum and maybe you didn't read them, but your ignorance of these reasons (intentional or unintentional) has no bearing on the actual viability of this forum.

To name a few:

* The Fitness Thread, as a single thread, has 2,000 posts. This is more than the "Bits and Bytes" subforum.

* The Sports subforum has 200 posts.

* In order, the largest threads ever made on Chit Chat are 1. Post Your Picture 2. What Are You Listening To 3. You Laugh You Lose 4. Google/YouTube 5. Fitness Thread. The Fitness Thread is soon to overtake Google/YouTube and could overtake You Laugh You Lose in a few months. In terms of demonstrated interest it is the most to ever hit Chit Chat.

* The purposes of the two are different: sports are generally for entertainment with physical betterment as a secondary purpose, while fitness is primarily for physical betterment with entertainment as a secondary purpose.

* The search compatibility of the function, both manually (sifting through threads) and automatically (using a search algorithm) would be destroyed by combining the two in one large forum. Fitness questions include questions like "cholesterol in eggs beneficial for testosterone levels?" and "anabolic effects of sleep?". Sports questions include questions like "what's your favorite play in the NBA finals?". They relate to very different intents and subject matters.

* People who want to look for diet advice, exercise technique advice, and so on would be constantly having to sift between threads of conflicting intent.

* People who are new to the forum may see a cluster of threads toward the top about one subject (diet, teams, physiology, reputable certifications) and not know that they can post about multiple subjects.

* There is limited sticky space, and fitness has far more "required reading"-style posts than sports. Meanwhile, sports may want to have a sticky thread for fantasy football, a sticky thread for the world cup, etc.

* Once you've merged them, you can't un-merge them. If it turns out that you do need a separate subforum, and I've given a lot of reasons why you could, you will have the unfortunate task of manually moving all threads about that subject matter to the specific board for that subject matter.

I could go on. The distinction does matter in terms of the organization of information, the user experience, and the functionality of the forum. They are related subject matter only superficially, and merging them would be a nightmare in the long-run.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

who says i'm ignoring them? i didn't deny the topics were different, you have to put it into the context here on FFR.

the sports subforum has 200 posts in just 2 weeks, the fitness thread has been open for a year and 2 months, 2000 posts isn't overwhelming (given the poster distribution-5 people have over 60% of the posts, same thing goes for TWG) that arguement is invalid. guess we also need a photography subforum, a comedy subforum, etc. not saying that's bad but just because a thread is sticky and has people posting doesn't mean it will make a huge, active subforum. do you honestly think that a fitness subforum will have pages of threads, rather than what is necessary --> a combined subforum where the important threads (i.e nutrition/diet/weightlifting, etc.) will be stickied. I don't think you do

The truth is this forum does not need both, these staple fitness threads you keep ranting about can be stickied. People aren't coming to this site looking for these things, i mean look the fitness thread may have 2000 posts, but look at the distribution of those posts, it's mainly 5 to 6 people.

You are just delusional and are looking for ways to get power and you're ignoring the most sensible solution that makes the most sense here, on FFR. Obviously sports and the many aspects of fitness are different, no one is denying that. They can co-exist simply because this is a flash rhythm gaming site. Most people I talk to find threads on the front page before entering the main forum page anyways.

Quote:
wow

Last edited by j-rodd123; 10-16-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

like at the end of the day i dont care, you're just delusional and are ignoring the solution that would make the subforum the most active. if this was a bigger forum i would 100% agree with you, but it really is not a big deal and they would be more active together.

Quote:
wow

Last edited by j-rodd123; 10-16-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
like at the end of the day i dont care, you're just delusional and are ignoring the solution that would make the subforum the most active. if this was a bigger forum i would 100% agree with you, but it really is not a big deal and they would be more active together.
Arch pretty much hit all the major points that needed to be said so I don't have much to add, but fitness really should be its own forum. Sports can be its own thing.

The fitness forum would be plenty active, and I'm sure many would welcome the change.

Quote:
guess we also need a photography subforum, a comedy subforum, etc. not saying that's bad but just because a thread is sticky and has people posting doesn't mean it will make a huge, active subforum. do you honestly think that a fitness subforum will have pages of threads, rather than what is necessary --> a combined subforum where the important threads (i.e nutrition/diet/weightlifting, etc.) will be stickied. I don't think you do
Well, there isn't much demand for such forums, so there's really no reason to make them. In this case, there are quite a few people who would love a dedicated fitness forum.

And do I think it'd have pages of threads? In all honesty: Yes, absolutely. You could easily have entire threads dedicated to macronutrients, micronutrients, questions about sodium intake, creatine, counting calories, exercise tips, equipment questions, steroid questions, progress pics, diets, cooking tips, bodybuilding competition discussions, social impacts of fitness, lifestyle changes, supplements, multivitamins, broscience, nutrition, etc. The list goes on. There are *lots* of things to talk about and it would be a huge help to have it all separated out.

I'd find it a huge pain in the ass to sift through posts about the NBA or football team rosters or whatever when they have nothing to do with the implications of a given fitness thread.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

I only brought up the photography and comedy point because arch0wl was saying how it was the 5th biggest chit chat thread behind those 2. I honestly think ur being unrealistic about ur hopes of activity and these great threads on macronutrients, vitamins, steroids, whatever it just doesn't seem likely, ur probably tunnelvisioning.

Also the pain in the ass scrolling through sports threads is hyperbole like come on lol, this isn't some extensive forum with new threads and posts every millisecond. If you want a thread chances are it's on the home page or close to the front of a subforum, the pain in the ass is trying to use that as a legit reason haha.

Like I'm fairly confident if u put a poll up, more people would vote to combine them than to not, like reaaaaally confident. But I do know there's a very small user group who wants this so go for it, like i said I don't care. It just still makes more sense to combine them on FFR with its current active usergroup and lack of new forum goers

Quote:
wow