Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #641
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to skishmonkey72
Default Re: Top One Handers list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
Thanks for the help. I just compared your list of requirements against my spreadsheet of personal best scores. I've gotten some of the FCs on your list, as well as a few of the low misses and X+ combos. I mainly stuck with these because I didn't think I could get the others, and some are a little hard for me to judge (e.g., combo all jumping sections). According to my count, what I do have gives me 30 points total right now.
Oh yes. Those points that are "hard to judge" are ones I need to go back on and make more clear. Thank you for reminding me.

Quote:
Right, I was aware that you only take the highest point total you can for a given song's set of requirements. Right now, that's not a problem -- I can only get the lowest one. But for example, if I were to FC Thinking Different instead of having a single digit miss on it, I'd add 2 points for that song, not 3, and my overall total would become 1 point higher.
Yep, you're absolutely right on that. It used to be that all the points added cumulatively, so an FC on Thinking Different would have been 3 points, but that can get too complicated/annoying to count for a lot of people, and also adding them normally like you were describing comes more naturally to people.

Quote:
Yes, I kind of thought that's what you were going for, and it looks good to me so far. I didn't know if we had a calculator or something like the official tier system has though. That's why I was asking about how we totalled our points. Doing it ourselves seems fine to me for now.
The reason I haven't tried making a calculator yet is because of those odd requirements such as Devotion and Desire: Combo all the parts where he says "devotion and desire" as well as "set myself on fire". That would be extremely difficult to work into a calculator, and most likely the calculator would have to have access to your replays, which wouldn't work for more than the 5 scores that you'd have saved in your replays. I'm debating whether to take those requirements out. IMO, they hit the nail on the head as far as singling out the prescribed skill, but they're hard to prove without a replay.

Now I have LOTS of ideas for improving the system, but unfortunately I need to be working on homework that I should have been doing since the beginning of spring break. :\
Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #642
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dronak Send a message via Yahoo to Dronak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skishmonkey72 View Post
Oh yes. Those points that are "hard to judge" are ones I need to go back on and make more clear. Thank you for reminding me.
Yes, some clarification may be helpful, especially if it's not obvious exactly where a certain section begins (with what note/arrow). But even if you got it precisely defined like "combo arrows 100-150, 200-300, and 400-500", it could be hard to keep track of that and know you've successfully done it. I understand that if you're testing jumps, say, nailing the jump sections is the key part of the requirement. But if that's all there is, it can be hard to track if you've done it correctly. Just a thought. There are a couple X+ combos in the list that need to be done at a certain point -- I have that combo, but I have no idea where I did it in the song. That's another thing that can be hard to track, and not easily identified from the score breakdowns in my spreadsheet. I think the easier we can make the requirements to understand and track, the better, but I'm not sure about the best way to do that.

Quote:
The reason I haven't tried making a calculator yet is because of those odd requirements such as Devotion and Desire: Combo all the parts where he says "devotion and desire" as well as "set myself on fire". . . . IMO, they hit the nail on the head as far as singling out the prescribed skill, but they're hard to prove without a replay.
Yes, I realize those would be really hard to work into an automatic calculator. You're also right that they may nail the skill, but as I noted above, they could be too hard to track well. Perhaps they can be kept for now, at least until someone else comes up with another way to test those skills in a way that's easier to track.

P.S. -- Good luck on the homework.

Essentially retired now, but still ranked on the list of FFR's Top One Handers.
One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Pseudo Skill Tokens unlocked: Numbers 21, 44, 33, 57, 26, 24, 47, 95
Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #643
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skishmonkey72 View Post
If there is more than one numbered requirement for a song in a single category, choose the number of the most difficult requirement you can achieve.
What if the higher difficulty requirement is unrelated to the easier requirement like for Aim Anthem? It's possible to combo 100 or more after the first 150 or so without comboing the first 150. Not saying that is the case for me though. Or did i just understand those requirements wrong and that meant to be added on top of the first 150 so the next one would be like first 170 for 4 points, then first 200 for 5 points, and then first 250 for 6 points?

edit: woops, you posted before I finished my edit.

Last edited by dean_machine; 03-30-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #644
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

In almost every case the easier requirements should be achieved first, so it should work. If there are some requirements are close enough so that the more "difficult" one is actually easier for some people, I'll look into it. But in general it should stay the same, count the highest difficulty you've achieved.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #645
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dronak Send a message via Yahoo to Dronak

I think you're right that some of the harder requirements on specific songs are different from the lower ones. However, I thought that as the points get higher, the requirements get harder, even if what they ask you to do changes from the lower points. I imagine you could combo 100+ arrows after the first 150 in AIM Anthem without comboing the first 150 arrows, sure. But I guess I assumed that doing that was harder, which is why it's worth more points than just comboing the first 150 arrows. I don't think I'm good enough to test these kinds of requirements shifts, especially on songs as hard as AIM Anthem. If it takes a change in what you need to do in order to make sure the requirements get harder as the points go up, I think that's OK.

Essentially retired now, but still ranked on the list of FFR's Top One Handers.
One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Pseudo Skill Tokens unlocked: Numbers 21, 44, 33, 57, 26, 24, 47, 95
Old 03-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #646
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I do believe that comboing 20 or 50 after the first 150 or so is easier than comboing the first 150 or so. I can do the first 150, but getting 20 or 50 afterwards isn't too hard if you mash really fast.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #647
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

I'm totally confused by the first post.

What do I do to be a pro :V
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #648
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

The first post is an average rank ranking list and a list of points you can try for as part of a more accurate ranking system. It works just like the tier system, just not enough people have tallied up their points to have a ranking list based on that.

To be a pro? I'm assuming you mean by the standards of the ranking system being developed in this thread. Go and do as many requirements as you can in the list on the first post, and keep track of how many points you get.

dean_machine, I'll get to that in a little bit. A little bit busy right now. But thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #649
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Maybe Torinouta (Noise Rave Mix) should be in there for a roll tier requirement.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:41 AM   #650
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I think that's been requested before, but it's all good, I don't expect people to look through 33 pages of thread to make sure they don't overlap requests, that'd just be retarded. Here is my list of suggested requirements so far that I'm working on:

JUMPS:
Hellbeat
Hellbeat V2

STREAMS:
Caprice
Summer
Neon-213
Air
Infernoplex
Vertex BETA
Endless Dream
CIA Rave
Uber Rave
Matador
Harry Potter Techno Remix
Carol Megamix
AAA

ROLLS:
Gaussian Blur 3
Torinouta (Noise Rave Mix)
Zodiac

TRILLS:
(Take Me Back??)
(VBETA?)
K8107
Science Genius Girl

JACKS:
Norgers
Stalled Out and Sushi Bars
GO!
Crystalis
(X-Dreamer?)
Cold Breath

JUMPSTREAM:
Seven
Frozen
Firestorm
Aztec Templing
Unknown Girl
Youkoso! Himitsu no bara ya!
{Red Alert}
Science Genius Girl

RUNNINGMEN:
Classical Insanity
Infernoplex
AAA
Uber Rave V2
{Frozen}
STAMINA:
CIA Rave
BB Evo
BB Revenge
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #651
Cj_leonine
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
No i don't know what you're talking about.
Smashbros threads.

=/

Best FC Before Avmiss Fix: . Be Princess . Hellbeat . End Night
Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #652
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

A new song released to the public called Guitar vs. Piano has a lot of jacks in it. The avg miss fix might make it too easy, but you might want to look into it. The avg miss fix also makes me wonder if the jacks in Aim Anthem will also make that too easy.

Last edited by dean_machine; 03-31-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM   #653
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Are you challenging me in smashbros or something because i'm completely not getting what you're saying excuse my denseness.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #654
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

I have some suggestions for the requirements.

MAX Forever would be probably the best song in all of FFR to test on for trills IMO, because of the fact that like 20+% of the arrows in that song alone are trills.

For jacks, 100 Bar Blackout is loaded with 4- 3- and 2- frame jacks, and would probably be a good way to test your ability to hit jacks. Crowdpleaser is also a good and more difficult alternative.

And finally, Maple Leaf Rag has a lot of jumpstreams in it. I think that'd be a great addition to the list, even if it isn't that hard.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/battle-tower-royale-title-theme
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #655
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

There's already something for trills for MAX Forever, but Maple Leaf Rag is a good suggestion in my opinion. I was thinking about this thread before when I played that last.
edit: I just played Maple Leaf Rag and it's mainly streams. I think it's better fitted under just streams instead of jumpstreams.

Last edited by dean_machine; 03-31-2008 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #656
Murtaug
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

i switched to 2 hand... =\

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGAMES
This is just one of those moments when your skillz that were deep inside burst out dramtically.
Best AAA: Carrousel Paradise First VC AAA
Best FC's: mmm idk... Eradication was a pretty good FC
Old 04-1-2008, 12:34 AM   #657
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtaug View Post
i switched to 2 hand... =\
Aww... oh well. Next time I update I'll take you off the avrank list.

Thanks Bynary, just two things. 100 Bar only has two 2-framers, and a few 3-framers. But there are enough jacks that are fast enough for it to be on the list. I'll add it to my list and probably add it next time I have time. And Maple flag, well, not exactly jumpstream IMO. Plenty of jumps yes. But the definition of jumpstream I use (and some others) is simply a stream (almost always a 16th note stream) with jumps. Good examples are Etude to a Dragon and the infamous Silence. I'll definitely consider it for jumps though.

I haven't gotten a chance to play any new songs yet today, just got home from work. It's on my to-do list.

Keep the ideas coming everybody, good feedback so far.

I don't have too much time tonight, but tomorrow night I should be able to get some work done on this. If I'm really lucky, a week from now the ranking system should be more or less complete. Of course songs can and will still be added after, but it'll be an improvement to this mess we have at the moment.

Thanks for all of your interest in this everybody. It definitely helps keep me going and gives me motivation to do this.
Old 04-5-2008, 12:47 AM   #658
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Slightly more depressing news than normal. If this is tl;dr to you, go ahead and skip to the summary at the bottom.

As of this weekend, I finally have time to do things. Unfortunately, with the extra time I have extra tasks to accomplish that come before this thread. So that means only the average rank list will be updated this weekend, no further work will be done on the other ranking system.

However, I have been working on it, and have already made some progress, but the next update will have to wait. My plan is that after that next update, pretty much all of the pending songs will have been added in, and we can all start counting our points. Probably for a few weeks or so I will be maintaining the new ranking list, and then I'll hand over the responsibility to someone else, along with the average ranking list updating duties.

Why? A while ago I "quit" FFR halfway - no more hardcore FFRing, being in top 10 grand totals for hours on end. Just a few casual plays here and there. Also much less forum-lurking. I'm planning on taking the quitting process to the next level, and pretty much leaving. I'll still be around, I'll check my profile, perhaps this thread every once in a while, and I'll play a game here and there, but I won't really be active. So after I've got the wheel rolling, someone needs to take over. I just don't have the time that I used to.

SUMMARY:
1. Only average ranking list will be updated this weekend.
2. Big (final??) update to follow. People can then tally up their points and post how many they have.
3. Ranking list created and maintained for a few weeks.
4. Skishmonkey72 pretty much leaves after, handing over responsibilities to another person.
Old 04-5-2008, 01:11 AM   #659
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

You'll be back.
Old 04-5-2008, 01:19 AM   #660
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

You seem so sure about that...

I seriously don't have any time for this any more though. Heck, I don't have time for a lot of things. Once this is done, I can actually do things that are productive for me in RL... stuff I really need to do.