skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to skishmonkey72
Default Re: Top One Handers list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo View Post
I condemn this thread for how pointless this is! like c'mon, super lame

also, I'm still here .... I just don't post a lot and I've got no skillz... so yea :/

good luck reviving this skishy... and Zageron, whenever he gets back.
(The 29th is when Zag gets back.)
Yeah, I expected people to call it pointless, but it's worth it to me, and maybe a few others, so if it's pointless to you, then feel free to ignore this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Barista- View Post
I haven't played in a while period.

I hate school.
lol. That's been me for the past month or two, but it's been getting a bit better (and Spring Break helps too), so I actually have time to do this again. Also my wireless adapter isn't screwy anymore... which is why I left this thread in the first place.

Nice to see people are still around.

Just about out of time for the night... reviewing the point requirements list will have to wait for tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #562
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

This thread is dumb because the obvious #1 doesn't have my name by it. :P
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #563
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

I want to be on ze list...though I dunno how well I'd do exactly.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #564
Mezo
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

lol skish I don't think its pointless... sry for my lame attempt at sarcasm

anyway, I got CIA rave down to 8 misses on my best attempts . god one hand sux super big time for those up down variation streams
Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #565
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

It's okay. Lol, I can never tell when someone is being sarcastic over the internet unless it's REALLY obvious.

Yes, I totally agree with you. One-handed, just up and down is okay, but when it gets randomly mixed into weird patterns all the time it gets really messed up. At least it feels really good once you get it down.

I'll put you on the list Bynary, but the list won't be on the front page until Zag comes back. Do you want me to put you on now with your current average rank or wait a few days until you have it down to where it should be (if you're planning on working on it). If you're not going to be working on your average rank for a bit, I'll put you on. But if you're going to work on it, might as well put your better rank on, seeing as I usually try to update the list once a week or so.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #566
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skishmonkey72 View Post
It's okay. Lol, I can never tell when someone is being sarcastic over the internet unless it's REALLY obvious.

Yes, I totally agree with you. One-handed, just up and down is okay, but when it gets randomly mixed into weird patterns all the time it gets really messed up. At least it feels really good once you get it down.

I'll put you on the list Bynary, but the list won't be on the front page until Zag comes back. Do you want me to put you on now with your current average rank or wait a few days until you have it down to where it should be (if you're planning on working on it). If you're not going to be working on your average rank for a bit, I'll put you on. But if you're going to work on it, might as well put your better rank on, seeing as I usually try to update the list once a week or so.
You might as well make another thread with 'revival' in the title if Zageron totally lost motivation in updating.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #567
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

lol CIA was an ass to me up until about 5 months ago one handed. I could NEVER get a FC, and my first FC on it was like 50 goods or something insane. Once you get used to it and train your hand for up down things, Its very easy to SDG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #568
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishknight View Post
You might as well make another thread with 'revival' in the title if Zageron totally lost motivation in updating.
Probably. If I make significant progress (ie: have a FINAL version of this ranking system complete, including new songs) a while before Zageron comes back, I might make a new thread so we don't end up waiting a week. We don't want any potential interested one-handers turning away because the front post is so out of date. I'll link back to this thread, for reference purposes as well as continuity.

Speaking of SDGs... I need to work on my PA. It's gone down to 1:20 from 1:10, but that's still bad, lol.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #569
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dronak Send a message via Yahoo to Dronak

I like these one-hander rankings, because it lets me compare myself to others who play the same style. However, I still don't think I can do many of the specific tasks to earn points. The average ranking list might be my best chance at a good placing. I do appreciate all of the time and effort people put into the tier-style rankings though.

Essentially retired now, but still ranked on the list of FFR's Top One Handers.
One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Pseudo Skill Tokens unlocked: Numbers 21, 44, 33, 57, 26, 24, 47, 95
Old 03-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #570
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I've been thinking about that, and I guess I'm not alone in my thinking then. I was thinking that many of the requirements, even the one-point requirements, are too hard for most one-handed players to get. Even I can only get most of the one-points, and not very many two-points. Basically only players like Zageron and orlando2k7 can really get the higher point requirements. So I've been seriously considering introducing easier requirements for all the categories... that way the list caters to a larger audience of one-handers, which is what we want to make the ranking system more effective.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #571
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

If a number of other people agree that many point requirements seem high, it might be worth putting in some lower ones and adjusting the points for each requirement. It would give more people a chance to earn points and get on the board. To maintain the current spread in tiers, the points required for each tier could be changed or a tier (or two) could be added to help spread things out. In general, there should be more people with less points and fewer people with more points, and only a handful at the very top. If some adjustments would make that happen, it seems like a good idea to me.

One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #572
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I was thinking of disregarding the tiers until we have a sufficient amount of people in the ranking system. For example, for five people, it wouldn't make sense to split them into three tiers. Once we have more of an idea of how many one-handers can rack up certain amounts of points, then we can set tiers to more accurate values that will create a proper "pyramid" of skill levels.

Instead of completely redoing the entire system to make the point requirements easier, I had a different idea. We can keep the set of requirements we have now, and call it something like "Advanced." Another set of points would be created, called something else. The second set of points would have significantly easier requirements, allowing newer or less skilled one-handed players to gain points. Points from both sets would go towards their total.

It sounds complicated, but the alternative is more so. Adding easier requirements to the existing system would throw things askew. For example, if I added a Breaking the Common FC (1 point) to the existing set of points, it would be equal to a 50 combo on EHHS. Not even close to the same. I'd have to go in and make every requirement worth an extra point, and that would only account for one new difficulty of point requirement.

Now, you might say that the same problem comes up with my idea anyways. With two sets, the problem could resolve itself, relying on the fact that by the time most players are able to earn points from the Advanced set, they've already earned all the points from the easier set. Or, if that turns out to be not quite true enough, then we can add a point multiplier to the Advanced set of points to nudge it into more accuracy.

Last edited by skishmonkey72; 03-18-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #573
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yes, you could have two sets of requirements, and it's possible that most people would be able to get (nearly) all of the basic set points before getting points from the advanced set. That's a reasonable assumption to make if all of the basic set requirements are easier than the advanced set, which I'm sure would be the idea.

However, as you realize, if you don't change the points on the advanced set, you can end up with the same number of points (e.g., 1) being awarded for both a very easy and a very difficult requirement, which doesn't seem right. I think you'd need to at least multiply the advanced set by some factor to indicate that everything in it is considered harder than what's in the basic set. And if you're going to do that, you'll clear out space to just add the basic set requirements into the same scale/set as the advanced set. Keeping two sets might work better if they're kept separate -- separate totals for basic set and advanced sets, each with their own rankings. Then you don't really worry about the exact points in each because they're not being combined and compared to each other.

So I don't know. Either way will probably work and be basically the same thing in the end. I'd suggest thinking about what will take the least amount of work overall for everyone involved and do that, even if it takes a little extra work now. If you wait until later, there could be a lot of people using the system who will have to make changes. Good luck with it.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #574
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Sounds like you're thinking on the same wavelength I am.

You have a point though, that I didn't consider as of yet. Now that I think about it, it'd be quite a bit more work for me to integrate easier requirements into the existing system, but it would make things SO much simpler and easier for everybody using the ranking system. I think I'll go with that. Having two sets of points brings up too many faults and factors to deal with. Guess I'll be busy for a while...

On my to-do list:
1. Review existing point requirements, and make necessary changes.
2. Go through existing songs and add easier requirements where they fit logically.
3. Redo points so that each requirement has a point value consistent with other requirements of similar difficulty.
4. Add songs currently in consideration for addition to the system.
5. Since there will be an obvious lack in easier requirements considering the difficulty of the existing songs, add easier songs to the list to facilitate more easier requirements.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #575
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Hmm, some of those requirements, like FC'ing Vertex Beta and AIM Anthem are nigh on impossible one-handed, even with mashing. It's alright that they are there, but I would not expect anybody to get them.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #576
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yeah, there are a few insanely difficult ones on there. I figured that some one-handers may be able to grow their skill level into being able to attempt those. It's not completely off the radar, just only within reach of the top players. I guess the same is true with the original tier system, with stuff like CP FC. Ha, I'd love to see someone get that one-handed.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #577
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission View Post
Hmm, some of those requirements, like FC'ing Vertex Beta and AIM Anthem are nigh on impossible one-handed, even with mashing. It's alright that they are there, but I would not expect anybody to get them.

~Bynary Fission
I agree with you. I don't see how it's that possible to retain speed whilst moving your middle finger upon the up and down arrow keys. However, there are certain techniques to configure when you play in order to shoot down this common problem.

(e.g. using index for the down key and switching off from left key to up depending on the set of stream you're given.)

I find the beginning set of stream in VB simple since it has a lesser amount of up-down arrow streams -- some streams having the same BPM are easier than others.

Last edited by irishknight; 03-19-2008 at 03:15 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #578
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I've been busy in the 32bit rgb forum section and forgot about this thread, but now that's in my last 10 forum posts, I'll be visiting back.

I think having a basic point system and an advanced point system is a great idea. It would help us better compare to those that are not so talented at one handed playing like me.

I've gotten quite a bit better since I last tried all the tier requirements, I'd bet I would be able to get a few more points now.

edit: I'd also like to be on the avg. ranking list when it's next updated.

Last edited by dean_machine; 03-22-2008 at 11:09 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #579
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission View Post

~Bynary Fission
PS I could easily SDM VB and the up down trill was actually the only easy one IMO. kthxbi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #580
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Easily? Then in the next 5 minutes you'd have a screenie proving it.

~Bynary Fission

Closed Thread