Old 11-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
de1337
FFR Player
 
de1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Default Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

My question to all who are religious and not is short and blunt:

Why aren't you agnostic?

You can't prove God is real, you're just faithful.
You can't prove that God does NOT exist either, you're just doubtful.

Seems as if everyone should turn to Agnosticism, because you can't be sure of someone else's belief of the presence of an omnipotent being, nor can you be sure of someone else's belief in no supernatural force at all.
de1337 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
Infrastructure
Retired StaffDeveloperFFR Veteran
 
Zageron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,395
Send a message via Skype™ to Zageron
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Or you could adopt Synthizm.

I personally don't even give half a **** about religion. I have Christian friends, Gothic friends, Jewish friends, Buddhist friends, Shinto friends. They're all the same.
Zageron is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
de1337
FFR Player
 
de1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Yeah but are you doubtful of religion, religious, or don't know what to believe?
de1337 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
Infrastructure
Retired StaffDeveloperFFR Veteran
 
Zageron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,395
Send a message via Skype™ to Zageron
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Quote:
Originally Posted by de1337 View Post
Yeah but are you doubtful of religion, religious, or don't know what to believe?
As I said. I don't care whether a giant fat green dude spat me out, nor if some big white guy made me with lightning. I'm completely fine with any of it.
Zageron is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
de1337
FFR Player
 
de1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Good
de1337 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Tokzic
FFR Player
 
Tokzic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TGB
Age: 29
Posts: 7,109
Send a message via AIM to Tokzic
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

You didn't word it really well, but yeah, the nature of the argument is why I'm an agnostic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron
I personally don't even give half a **** about religion. I have Christian friends, Gothic friends, Jewish friends, Buddhist friends, Shinto friends. They're all the same.
gothicism sure is a religion and not a fashion style
__________________

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Sectional ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 7,462
Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Quote:
Originally Posted by de1337 View Post
My question to all who are religious and not is short and blunt:

Why aren't you agnostic?

You can't prove God is real, you're just faithful.
You can't prove that God does NOT exist either, you're just doubtful.

Seems as if everyone should turn to Agnosticism, because you can't be sure of someone else's belief of the presence of an omnipotent being, nor can you be sure of someone else's belief in no supernatural force at all.
Well, you can not believe in God but recognize that God *could* exist. I think that's weak atheism? The same could apply to theism (belief in god without claiming to know absolutely that God exists).

You can't prove God doesn't exist but again, the classic counter argument comes from the burden of proof. You can't prove a magic invisible monkey isn't dancing naked in your room right now either, even though you would probably not believe in it.
__________________

Last edited by Reach; 11-10-2007 at 02:24 PM..
Reach is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
de1337
FFR Player
 
de1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

The way I see it is no one can be sure of anything (regarding religion) today because nothing has been proven. Everything is based on what we want to think instead of cold hard facts.
de1337 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Grandiagod
FFR Player
 
Grandiagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Feaefaw
Age: 30
Posts: 6,122
Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

I'm an atheist, not an agnostic because god is exactly the same as the invisible pink unicorn under my bed.

You can't disprove it's existence, but it's definitely not there.
__________________
He who angers you conquers you. ~Elizabeth Kenny
Grandiagod is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
de1337
FFR Player
 
de1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
I'm an atheist, not an agnostic because god is exactly the same as the invisible pink unicorn under my bed.

You can't disprove it's existence, but it's definitely not there.
It's not there, but then again neither is my dog. Does that mean my dog isn't real? It's not under your bed but she does exist. Just because it isn't there doesn't mean you can't be open to the fact that it could be there.
de1337 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Branman123
FFR Player
FFR Veteran
 
Branman123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Age: 29
Posts: 138
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

How about this?

There are so many different religions only one can be true if even that?
__________________
Branman123 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
de1337
FFR Player
 
de1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branman123 View Post
How about this?

There are so many different religions only one can be true if even that?
That's what I've believed for a long time, and I still continue to. Who knows which one it could be. Keep in mind along with all those religions, the "5-feet-beneath-the-ground" theory is still among them.


Only one is right
de1337 is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Community Manager, Global Moderator, User Support
Global ModeratorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 35
Posts: 9,866
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Agnosticism-Why we aren't all one

How about this? Rule 5. No unfalsifiable claims.

de1337 has misrepresented agnosticism, misrepresented theism, and provided a false dilemma on the topic of religious thought. He's made a hasty generalization on the subject of philosophy of mind which, while very cartesian, misses the point entirely.

Zageron man...you keep posting in CT with completely non-CT content. If I weren't closing this thread, I'd have to delete basically all the posts you made in it. If you "don't give a ****" about the subject at hand, you just don't post. You do -not- chime in letting us know that you don't give a ****.

Reach for future reference, the logically strong way to make your point is to phrase it that you cannot disprove a negative. A such, the burden of prood in that situation can only rest on the person claiming a positive.

Branman, insofar as all religions could be said to be mutually exclusive (which is not the case) you could argue perhaps that since none of them could coexist, if any are correct, only one could be. However, most religions are at most, slightly different interpretations of roughly the same thing, so some number much greater than one could be "mostly" correct. just because there are a lot of them doesn't incline them to be utterly false.
devonin is online now  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution