Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Default Too fat or attention-seeking?

Have any of you ever noticed that it seems like a lot of our world tends to revolve around looks and/or how much they weigh? If so, you should read this:

http://41010.deviantart.com/art/I-m-Too-Fat-106416404

I personally think that everything in our world that people see, is revolving too much around looks. Example: Next time a commercial is on, take a look and see what the people in the commercial look like. If it's a commercial that is supposed to be funny, well, that's a different story. However, say it's a commercial for a new drink. I've noticed that the people in the commercial tend to be what most people consider "hot" or some other form of good-looking. Yes, they make the soda sell better, but why is that? This comes back to my original statement. Everything revolves too much around looks. People would rather buy something that has been advertised by a better looking person then, say, an average looking person.

It's the same thing with clothing and what-not. You've seen ads in magazines for clothing and accessories. What do the people who are modeling the clothing normally look like? Once again, good-looking, usually pretty slim people. I would like to hear all of your opinions on this.
Cold Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
TK_goelo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Too fat or attention-seeking?

You're obviously fat

On Topic: I totally agree with this, thay alwas put ¨hot¨ people in the ads and stuff, but when its trying to ridiculize something they put ¨fat¨people for us to laugh.
Society is sh*t.

Last edited by TK_goelo; 05-24-2009 at 12:54 AM..
TK_goelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Sex sells, ladies and gentlemen.

That is just how the world works.

And yes, I hate very attractive girls that say "Oh I am fat, look at me, I am so hideous."
I don't know why they do it, attention, or other reasons but it's highly annoying.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 05-24-2009 at 12:59 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Sex sells, ladies and gentlemen.

That is just how the world works.

And yes, I hate very attractive girls that say "Oh I am fat, look at me, I am so hideous."
I don't know why they do it, attention, or other reasons but it's highly annoying.
We already knew that's how the world worked. You might hate very attractive girls saying for attention, but would you hate if someone you personally thought was fat/hideous, just for attention? No, you probably wouldn't, because you, also, care about looks more then anything. I am not judging you, but that's what it seems like from your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_goelo View Post
You're obviously fat

On Topic: I totally agree with this, thay alwas put ¨hot¨ people in the ads and stuff, but when its trying to ridiculize something they put ¨fat¨people for us to laugh.
Society is sh*t.
Thank you for judging me on something you know nothing about.

On topic: Exactly, the "hot" people end up making millions because they're good-looking. Wonderful. The "fat" people make millions because they let the world laugh at them. Even better.

Last edited by Cold Kitten; 05-24-2009 at 01:22 AM..
Old 05-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
[TeRa]
FFR Player
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

There's nothing to this thread other than sex sells, which you say you already knew, so I don't see what you're asking for us to give opinions on.

We're naturally attracted to good looking people, it's human nature, so they, the media, use it to their advantage. The main point of using an attractive individual to advertise is to draw attention to the product, after they have your attention, then there's the advertisement.

Last edited by [TeRa]; 05-24-2009 at 01:33 AM..
[TeRa] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TeRa] View Post
There's nothing to this thread other than sex sells, which you say you already knew, so I don't see what you're asking for us to give opinions on.

We're naturally attracted to good looking people, it's human nature, so they, the media, use it to their advantage. The main point of using an attractive individual to advertise is to draw attention to the product, after they have your attention, then there's the advertisement.
Yes, I did already know the sex sells. That is not what I was asking for an opinion on. I was asking if you thought that the world cared too much about looks and what-not.
The media does use it, yes. But they tend to use it throughout the whole advertisement, which is distracting to the actual product. I'm not saying it's wrong to use good looking people for that reason, just that the media uses them too much throughout one advertisement.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
We already knew that's how the world worked. You might hate very attractive girls saying for attention, but would you hate if someone you personally thought was fat/hideous, just for attention? No, you probably wouldn't, because you, also, care about looks more then anything. I am not judging you, but that's what it seems like from your post.

Thank you for judging me on something you know nothing about.

On topic: Exactly, the "hot" people end up making millions because they're good-looking. Wonderful. The "fat" people make millions because they let the world laugh at them. Even better.
I believe every human being cares about what he/she looks like and what other people look like, it's just how we are wired.

I would say it's odd to find a person who does not care.
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I believe every human being cares about what he/she looks like and what other people look like, it's just how we are wired.

I would say it's odd to find a person who does not care.
Yes, everyone cares about what they look like. Does that mean we should post pictures of ourselves and say, "Oh, I'm so fat and ugly"? No. It doesn't.

I never said you wouldn't find someone who didn't care. I said, it seemed like you were the type of person who ONLY cared about looks. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm just stating what I thought.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Everybody has insecurities, and some people are just a little less in need of reassurance than others. That marketing has developed in such a way to offer products that claim to reassure you about your looks and body and self-worth should be a surprise to nobody.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]

unless you have an illness, being fat is a choice and is seen by society as something unpleasant. of course commercials are going to put people who are more appealing to the public rather than showcasing the average consumer of their product.
kommisar[os] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Mech Dragon
Banned

Quote:
Sex sells
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TeRa] View Post
We're naturally attracted to good looking people, it's human nature
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Everybody has insecurities, and some people are just a little less in need of reassurance than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar[os] View Post
unless you have an illness, being fat is a choice and is seen by society as something unpleasant.
Nothing more need be said. It's simple, don't make it complicated, seriously
Mech Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

None of you are seeing the point I am trying to make, or the question I'm asking.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar[os] View Post
unless you have an illness, being fat is a choice and is seen by society as something unpleasant. of course commercials are going to put people who are more appealing to the public rather than showcasing the average consumer of their product.
A lot of it is body type. I used to be 210lbs but then I started eating right and exercising religiously. I still do that to this day but I can never drop below 175 and I still look a little pudgy.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Mech Dragon
Banned

Quote:
None of you are seeing the point I am trying to make, or the question I'm asking.
Then make your point, the only point/question I see is why is society using so much looks, and the posts already answered that
Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

The actual point I was trying to make was that I thought that the world revolved too much around looks. If you disagree with that, then say so. But don't post something that we already knew. And as for the question I was asking, do you agree with that?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Mech Dragon
Banned

Quote:
The actual point I was trying to make was that I thought that the world revolved too much around looks. If you disagree with that, then say so. But don't post something that we already knew. And as for the question I was asking, do you agree with that?
Ohhh, I apologize. Actually, yes, I do think the world is too revolved with looks.... as a matter of fact, humans themselves are too revolved around looks. For example, most people if you ask them what they look for in a relationship, more than half would say looks first. There sooooo many aspects you have to look at before you get into a relationship, looks are a plus, but there are many more important aspects you have to look at first before you get into a relationship.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech Dragon View Post
Ohhh, I apologize. Actually, yes, I do think the world is too revolved with looks.... as a matter of fact, humans themselves are too revolved around looks. For example, most people if you ask them what they look for in a relationship, more than half would say looks first. There sooooo many aspects you have to look at before you get into a relationship, looks are a plus, but there are many more important aspects you have to look at first before you get into a relationship.
Exactly. Thank you. You have made a post pertaining to the actual thread. Congrats.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
dballin4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dballin4 Send a message via MSN to dballin4

Quote:
Oh... I'm sorry but the 90% of your post dealing with looks in advertising and lack of a clear cut question led me to believe you wanted opinions on looks in advertising. My bad.

Quote:
don't post something that we already knew
Then why did you post this thread? Look at how the beauty industry flourishes and then ask anyone if they think people are obsessed with how they look. There are always ads for a new cream to make you look younger or makeup for young people to look glamorous. The common definition of "attractive" is set by society and since that definition is what it is, you can offer up the opinion that society is currently (the definition of beauty is different depending on where in the world you are and has changed over time) obsessed with skinny people and that is how you should strive to look if you want to be beautiful. Does everyone think this way? No, but you asked if the world revolved around looks. While I don't think it REVOLVES around looks, it's pretty damn conclusive that you wouldn't be doing harm to yourself by fitting into the societal version of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=512621
Mobius’s study, published in The American Economic Review last month, builds on data that shows that workers labeled physically attractive earn about 10 to 15 percent more than their plainer peers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech Dragon
For example, most people if you ask them what they look for in a relationship, more than half would say looks first.
Time to be a devo: Where are you pulling these numbers from? Sure, people in high school who might just be looking to get off probably want to do so with someone they find attractive, but as you get older certain things become more important than beauty. Things such as money management, will they be a good parent, do they have a job, are they at least a little bit intelligent, do we even get along, etc? Looks don't matter nearly as much when you're considering living with someone and having kids together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD
I'm damn sexy.
Right on brother!

Last edited by dballin4; 05-24-2009 at 04:10 PM..
dballin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
You've said "Everyone is too concerned with their looks, here is a basic marketing issue that we're all aware of that shows we're too concerned with our looks, now...do you think we're too concerned with our looks?"

As a question, the response is "yes" with no real room for any further debate. I understand your potential frustration that the discussion deviated slightly from people saying "Yes, you're right" into a very related side issue, but that's also something that happens in this forum, discussions develop and evolve.

If all you wanted was a yes/no response to "Do you think we're too concerned with looks" you could have made a poll.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
Mech Dragon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin;3084032Y
you could have made a poll.
And you could have asked people to post why they said yes/no etc.