Old 10-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #101
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: 2016 TWG Rules Thread

ok, maybe i should rephrase

i would favor threads locked at night as the default, and if the host doesn't want it for some reason, they can say so
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #102
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If [twgv][/twgv] tags had an unique font that cannot be replicated, that would be ideal for forcing everyone to use only [twgv][/twgv] tags without having to deal with people using [color=red][/color] to potentially fake votes.

This is assuming that [twgv][/twgv] become a standard and the only way to vote someone. Exceptions should be mentioned too like [twgv][/twgv] into a quote or into [spoiler][/spoiler].

Another possibility that's a lot simpler would be to make [color=red][/color] modkillable if it's used to fake a vote, but that sounds a little extreme unless it's directly mentioned in the game.

It's just a matter of how you want to force standards for voting at this point.

---

I'm also in favor of locking the thread for night phase as it would end my complains about being possibly modkilled for posting late.
It would end any form of hesitation and anyone could just post how they want until it's locked.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 10-27-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #103
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inDheart View Post
nighttalk = off for me entails "don't post" rather than "you cannot post", even if the latter interpretation would have a net positive effect on games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I'm also in favor of locking the thread for night phase as it would end my complains about being possibly modkilled for posting late.
It would end any form of hesitation and anyone could just post how they want until it's locked.
If nighttalk being off is listed as one of the mechanics for the game, it's a rule. Not something that should be missed either as it's usually also posted in the sign-up thread as well which everybody should be reading if they're planning on playing. Thus if they feel the need to nightpost even after knowing that nighttalking being off is a rule, they should know there's going to be consequences.

I have no problem if the host themselves wants the thread locked when nightphase starts though, but if there's a case where the thread doesn't get locked soon enough and somebody posts beforehand after the dayphase ended, there should be consequences as I've said above.
Gradiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #104
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm fine on the [twgv] tag being the official voting method but also denote that typos should count because sometimes you just DO NOT have time to proofread or you do and gloss over a simple but stupid typo.

On the locking thing, as long as it can be done consistently I think it's a good idea, and certainly make it so hosts have the option for that not to be the case.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #105
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

if you want to be like haku and be like "OH BUT I CAN BE LIKE COLOR=#FE0000 AND GET AWAY WITH AN ILLEGAL VOTE" then you're actually stupid. If you're actively trying to stick your toe out past a line and try to be cheeky with that crap, then don't play twg.

easy wording -
votes need to be bolded and red. This can be achieved easily with the [twgv] tag. The text should allow the host to understand without question or assumptions exactly who you're voting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #106
Hakulyte
the Haku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradiant View Post
If nighttalk being off is listed as one of the mechanics for the game, it's a rule.
I guess I didn't word myself properly.

What happens EoD is usually "Stop Posting" -> tallying votes from that post -> locking the thread for starting nightphase etc.

I'm suggesting to directly lock the thread and then tally votes as usual which would remove the danger of posting too late and being possibly modkilled for it.

The same could happen with nighttalk on, the only difference is that the thread would be unlocked the moment the host is done posting flips.

It shouldn't be particularly hard to time, you can just look at the computer clock and click the moment it reaches the time limit.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #107
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

you should not be making posts past the end of the phase regardless, and the thread being locked is more for prevention of people who actually forget nighttalk is off.

The mod locking the thread will not have perfect timing and still may cut off people who would have actually had a valid post. If the mod is a little late, then that defeats the purpose of your locking procedure, because it allows posts to slip through that may be after the phase end.

You normally do not get modkilled for a post that was submitted just a tiny bit too late. Even then, it's usually a rush vote, and at that point, the vote is just nullified.

If you're posting like 1-2 minutes after the day end, the player is in complete fault as they did not look at their clock before clicking post. "not refreshing" is not an excuse for that.

Quote:
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #108
Hakulyte
the Haku

Ah thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. I didn't consider it that way.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #109
thesunfan
Role Tide
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to thesunfan

my big problem with all of this is that locking threads during the night phase will usually have to be unlocked so the mod can post the flips, which will mean there is still a window, no matter how small, for people to post.

Instas also throw things off sometimes

That and its not timed perfectly. Personally, my clock is not synced perfectly with FFRs, and I'm not sure how to sync it or how long it would stay perfectly synced, etc.

It seems the vast majority of people are in favor of locking threads at night if nighttalk is off and the mod wants the thread to be locked so, if I don't see some more people talk about never wanting this to be the case, I'll at least see how possible it is for me to do this.
Did you get a chance to kill that deadbeat sonuvabitch boyfriend of danceguys', "sunfan"? i hate that fucker. he's a stupid head. i'm way smarter and funnier and prettier and richer and more sensitive than him, and like i can get drunk and still hold complex logical conversations n shit and i bet that fucker cant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
(Someone helpfully lectured us in postgame that we voted out the wrong inactive player with COVID on Day 1.)
thesunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #110
thesunfan
Role Tide
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to thesunfan

my big problem with all of this is that locking threads during the night phase will usually have to be unlocked so the mod can post the flips, which will mean there is still a window, no matter how small, for people to post.

Instas also throw things off sometimes

That and its not timed perfectly. Personally, my clock is not synced perfectly with FFRs, and I'm not sure how to sync it or how long it would stay perfectly synced, etc.

It seems the vast majority of people are in favor of locking threads at night if nighttalk is off and the mod wants the thread to be locked so, if I don't see some more people talk about never wanting this to be the case, I'll at least see how possible it is for me to do this.
Did you get a chance to kill that deadbeat sonuvabitch boyfriend of danceguys', "sunfan"? i hate that fucker. he's a stupid head. i'm way smarter and funnier and prettier and richer and more sensitive than him, and like i can get drunk and still hold complex logical conversations n shit and i bet that fucker cant.
Quote:
I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
(Someone helpfully lectured us in postgame that we voted out the wrong inactive player with COVID on Day 1.)
thesunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #111
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
Only if the host really wants the thread to be locked in the nightphases if nighttalk is of, I'd say. I don't think there'd be a whole lot of hosts that'd absolutely want that to be done
Gradiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #112
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I think, because it does seem that hosts like to use an automated counter alot of the time, that [twgv] needs to just be the standard. I'm for [color][bold] not counting---I don't want a game where the counter missed a vote and then people call fouled.

I don't think the "fake vote" argument is something that comes into play here enough to deter me from favoring only [twgv] vote.

As for locking threads, I'm actually for not locking them. People should know the rules of the game and if they get modkilled by clearly not paying attention then so be it. I don't think we need to have our mods have to find the time to essentially babysit our players because they're afraid people can't refrain themselves from posting correctly, especially when they may not always be able to. Consistency is key and I'm in favor for one rule to rule to them all.

Quote:
I'm fine on the [twgv] tag being the official voting method but also denote that typos should count because sometimes you just DO NOT have time to proofread or you do and gloss over a simple but stupid typo.
Disagree for a couple of reasons.

1 If the host is using a counter it's very depended on if the host notices in time. If the host doesn't, that compromises the game. If the host happens to notice it that's fine bit that's extra work you're having them do on top of running the game.

2 If you're trying to pull some sneaky shit at the end of the game and mess up because of timing on your part, it should just be considered a part of the game like a slip or dumbtell.
Plus you should have your vote well in time to make another post if there is a typo, and if you can't be bothered to arrive at EoD timely enough to legit cast your vote then oops you better stop sucking at the game son. Making a rule that puts any type of burden on the host (no matter how small) when the root cause is the player probably isn't playing the game correctly is not something I care to support.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #113
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
1 If the host is using a counter it's very depended on if the host notices in time. If the host doesn't, that compromises the game. If the host happens to notice it that's fine bit that's extra work you're having them do on top of running the game.

2 If you're trying to pull some sneaky shit at the end of the game and mess up because of timing on your part, it should just be considered a part of the game like a slip or dumbtell.
Plus you should have your vote well in time to make another post if there is a typo, and if you can't be bothered to arrive at EoD timely enough to legit cast your vote then oops you better stop sucking at the game son. Making a rule that puts any type of burden on the host (no matter how small) when the root cause is the player probably isn't playing the game correctly is not something I care to support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
votes need to be bolded and red. This can be achieved easily with the [twgv] tag. The text should allow the host to understand without question or assumptions exactly who you're voting for.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #114
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Does the counter that is used around here count [color][bold]? I was under the impression that it only counted what was wrapped in [twgv]

EDIT: Actually you're quoting me when I was referring to typos so I think I understand what you are trying to say to me less.

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 10-28-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Old 10-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #115
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

what are you even arguing at this point

it makes it so easy. votes must be red and bold. this is easily done in [twgv] tags. host must unarguably understand who you're voting for. that's it.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 AM   #116
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Ok.

What if there is a typo that prevents the vote from being red and/or bold?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #117
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

That's exactly the point, intentionally adding a typo can be an easy way to angleshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #118
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Then it doesn't count, silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #119
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

exactly. if you fuck up the tags and it comes out like [twgv[mml[/twgv]
it's not a vote

look, if you're intentionally trying to fuck with the voting system, you're subject to being modkilled. simple. voting is voting, not a point of contention based off of the fact that forum twg has a certain functionality to work properly.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #120
AragakiAyase
Waifus
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to AragakiAyase

I don't see why this is a discussion, if you don't format it right then it doesn't count. This is like saying any sort of form should count even when not filled out correctly, the solution is that you discard the bad format and do it again so that there's no room for ambiguity. If someone fucks up their voting tags, then they can hopefully fix it, and if they don't then that's tough.

pikakirby123 reincarnated

AragakiAyase is offline   Reply With Quote