Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default baq12 Singles release thread

So its been awhile since I've made any sort of file release. After again for quite a few months, I got quite a bit of motivation and decided to get some Wips done and released! They will be released here on this thread! Huge thanks to Scylax for helping out with the graphics for these releases! They look amazing. I really dig my new cd title!

Away- Plini

1 Difficulty

DIAMOND JACKAL- Akira Complex

1 Difficulty

Impulse II- An Endless Sporadic

1 Difficulty

ruin of opals- Kaminose Tsukasa

1 Difficulty

Action Boyz - Jack and Owane

1 Difficulty

Flowerguy's Pool Party - Virt

1 Difficulty

Heart - Plini

1 Difficulty

A View from the Top of the World - Dream Theater

1 Difficulty

My first Dream theater song that I've done in years. I will say, it was an absolute treat revisiting one of my favorite artists. Though it brought back many painful memories of trying to sync everything. Really fun and interesting chart with really nice solos.

Lick the Alphabet - Virt

1 Difficulty

So this chart was something that I had worked on a few years ago back in 2020 when I was working on the remaster of Stream of Consciousness and charting Kind. I had put it away for awhile because I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted to do with it. 3 years later I made a few decisions on how I wanted to use holds throughout and finally finished it up. It's a pretty straightforward chart and my first actual attempt at charting Virt.

Seaside Labyrinth - Dirty Androids

1 Difficulty

Super fun chart with some fun jump/hand sections that I think add to the feeling of playing the song. Really groovy song on top of that too. Dirty Androids coming in clutch.

Tarred and Feathered - Plini

1 Difficulty

Plini has got to be one of my favorite Prog artists out right now. I find their grooves to be really cool and interesting to not only listen to, but to play as well. Layering intensifies throughout the song, and I feel compliments what happens in the song rather nicely. Probably one of my favorite songs from Plini too.

Black Sheep - Sonata Arctica

1 Difficulty

This is one of the few Sonata Arctica files that I feel can be done quite well. When I was working on this, I originally had a hard time trying to figure out what to do with the file outside of the guitar and keyboard solo. I realized I was overthinking what to do outside of the solos and just went with some really nice and fun patterns. Nothing too challenging, but a very fun file nonetheless.

Flatline- Skifonix

4 difficulties

Oh boy, this was real fun to do. With a song as cool as this, it was a breeze to get something really cool and fun out of this. A nice straightforward and super fun file with a great groove.

The Wizard's Finale - nubbinownz

2 difficulties

Oh lovely, this song. I'm quite happy how this turned out. The big challenge in making this work were some of the bursts that occur throughout the duration of the song, which is why I made two difficulties. One with reduced bursts so that the file flows better, and one with the bursts if one is looking for a challenge. Really fun file nonetheless, and I hope you enjoy.

First of the Five Elements- Warmen

1 difficulty.

Already said everything I had to say in the post I made about this. Hope you enjoy it!

Skyscraper- Mutsuhiko Izumi

1 difficulty

Really fun and quirky song with some fun and interesting steps! Enjoy!

No Boundaries- Michael Angelo Batio

1 difficulty

Beautiful and really fun. One of my best works. A must play.

Nijiro Yuenchi- Mutsuhiko Izumi vs DJ TOTTO

2 difficulties

So this is one I decided to do for fun. One difficulty is relatively doable and the other one is just a lot of pain. A fun upbeat song that I think definitely has good replay factor to it.

Fukasetsufukasetsuten- OSTER Project

1 difficulty

This was a really fun one to put together. Some of the choices I made in some of the nuances include leaving out some of the flams that were present in the drum part as they were so fast and awkward and would break the flow of the song. I've slowly been enjoying stepping more jazz like songs, as they provide an interesting and unique rhythmic variation to what I usually put out. Enjoy!

War of Worlds- Warmen

1 difficulty

So this was a file originally made back in 2013 for ODIpack 3. I had put it away for awhile because I was having problems finding ideas on how to make it more engaging to play. I came back to this around January and have been tinkering with it for the past two months, and I think I came up with something that's fun and artistic. The solos in here are very free and don't really fall into the tempo as consistently as their other songs, and I decided to take advantage of that factor. I layered in the drums in the solos wherever I could, which resulted in some really interesting rhythms that are not in the norm. The song isn't as fast and hardcore as some of their other songs, so it's not a particularly difficult file, but I think it is super fun to play and very beautiful. I hope you enjoy it!

Kind- Plini

1 difficulty

So this was one of the more complicated files I've worked on in awhile. I think it really emphasizes cool and unique offbeat rhythms and cool hold effects in relation to the sounds in the song. Enjoy!

Stream of Consciousness- Dream Theater

1 difficulty

This is a remaster of a chart that I worked on back in 2010 for the Community Keyboard Megapack Volume 4. I think the changes done to the chart have modernized it and really brought out the cool elements in the song. See the latest post in the thread for a full explanation of the changes made. Cheers!

Last edited by baq12; 06-19-2023 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Updating download links
baq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: baq12 Singles release thread

You make cool files, definitely checking those out.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
ferrarizzzz
FFR Player

love ur files
ferrarizzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

:0
lofty rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad

A - great idea, ima steal it one day

B - I am fan girling over these
Old 07-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #6
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

pls all the baq12 files, gimme um
Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

god12
L.B.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-2-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Updating the first post with a new Warmen file! I'll leave all the general comments about the file here.

There were quite a few challenges when it came to stepping this file. The first being the intro. There were a total of 23 notes played at the beginning before the groove starts, and trying to make that transition as smooth as possible was tedious. I decided to go with two groups of 5, a group of 4, and three groups of 3, to make my life just a little easier. It looks neat and it definitely flows well.

The next challenge was the guitar and keyboard solo. I wanted to make them different in style of how the notes were laid out. So I went with how each solo sort of felt. They keyboard solos for the most part have very quirky looking patterns that are very fun to hit, while the guitar have very nice and straightforward patterns that are really pleasing to the eye and are nice to hit as well.

In regards to the bass guitar solo, its so bloody difficult to step bass guitar accurately, so there are probably mistakes in that solo in some of the fast licks. I tried to go with whatever felt right to the ear, so its nothing to hard.

You'll be surprised to know that there really isn't any baq12 syndrome outside of the solos. Shocking right? I tried avoiding that as much as possible by changing the tempo from certain points to where it would sync as constant triplets, that way it would look good and feel good to play rather than be awkward. I used that method quite a lot on the drum solo, which is what I'll be talking about next.

Finally, the damn drum solo. This was by far the hardest part. Syncing this was an absolute bitch. I decided to not make this a complete rainbow fest here and went with stepping it as accurate as I can without having to resort to rainbow notes, and what resulted was a very tedious time of having to change the tempo constantly. In the second half of the solo, there were measures where I had to change the tempo on every single note, and they weren't like 8th notes or 4ths, they were 16th notes. Yeah.... that took some time there. The solo came out really well though. Feels amazing to play. Probably one of the best parts I've ever stepped.

Overall, its a really challenging and super fun file. Perhaps one of my best files in recent years (though I haven't had too many releases since ODIpack3). Hope you enjoy it! Stay tuned for more files to come soon!
Old 08-3-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Kalre
FFR Player

All of them are awesome good job !
Old 08-4-2016, 08:12 AM   #10
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

New file being added to the first post! Info about the file will be here in this post.

Skyscraper

This is a very quirky addition to all the files I've released thus far. The song is very weird and quirky to the ear , and so I decided to base the patterns on the overall mood of the song, with super weird and quirky patterns that look weird to the eye, but are extremely smooth.

The biggest challenge for me when I was stepping this was the guitar solo. The reason being that it was so weird and very random in its improvisation that there would be times where the steps to the guitar solo would be very uninteresting. But, if I tried to layer drums consistently throughout the file, it would become too dense, and not very fun to play. Fortunately, the drums had little fast filler parts throughout the solo in the parts that aren't too interesting to step, so I filled in those parts with the drum filler, to bring a little more interest in the solo.

Near the end of the solo, I decided to just go with 24th notes instead of trying to meticulously step it because it just felt better as 24th notes rather than the rainbow mess I had before.

Its one of the easier files here in this group of single releases, and a really fun one too. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Old 08-4-2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Kalre
FFR Player

New file was neat ! But definitely not my favorite from you, some i felt most of the jumps where unjustified but i can see why you would add them, but then again i suck at playing sm and stepping and at life overall, so yeah
Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

New file added to the first post! I think this is one of my finest works in a long time!

No Boundaries:

I've actually kept this chart on the shelf for over a year, mostly because I forgot about Stepmania for months, but I also was saving this for a time when I make a big return and get motivated to step again. And I feel that this time is now. Some notes about the file.

There were many challenges that I had to overcome while charting this. I think the biggest thing was how I was going to layer each solo. Stylistically, they are very different from each other, and I wanted the arrows to represent each sort of style. For example, in the very fast section, I layered in snare with the guitar and filled in bass drum when the guitar wasn't playing fast, to add some more intensity to the section, but at the same time, not trying to over layer the section. I did that on purpose because if I was trying to layer everything in there, it would be a hot mess.

Something else to keep in mind is that I really only layered in the snare and toms in select solos. The solos that had 24th notes or faster I purposely did not layer in drums, due to past experiences with layering in snare and toms during those fast runs and they did not feel good at all. (Looking back at some of my older files, I did do that from time to time... Whoops).

The syncing was surprisingly tame this time around. Setting the beats did not take too long and there very very few times where I had to put in any sub beats (I don't think I really had to either, but I could be wrong). The guitar solos were relatively easy to do (besides the ending), but I took a lot of time judging what would make the best patterns for each part, not just to reflect the song, but to also make sure it isn't bad to hit for the player.

Finally, pattern choice. Each part of the song had a very distinct sound to it, and the overall look and patterns reflect that. As I stated earlier, the much faster section had some funky and intense patterns, while some of the more distinct and not so fast sections had very lush and nice patterns. This was to give it some variation rather than having the same thing over and over again.

Overall, this was a really time consuming file, but all the work was definitely worth it. A really fun and beautiful work. Hope you enjoy!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Slight bump to tell everyone that I'm working on a few new files, and should hopefully be finished within the next week or two. I'm also looking for someone who can do background and banner work for the files I'm working on. If you have the time, please message me about it. I have quite a few files that really could use some sweet backgrounds and banners!

Stay tuned.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #14
Pazzaz
FFR Player

Damn, these are some nice files. I really enjoyed playing through them.
Keep it up 👍
Pazzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #15
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Slight bump so I can say that I'm still looking for someone who can do Background and banner work for some of my newer files that I've recently finished. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Bumping since I have been rather busy in the past couple of weeks. Just got a big pocket of free time to start making more files. Still looking for someone to do some background and banner work for some of the finished files! Please let me know asap!

Currently I have these as Wips

Constant Motion- Dream Theater

War of Worlds- Warmen

Commander Yammark Stage - Capcom and friends

I'm also looking into some Blotted Science to see what I can do among others. Stay tuned for more info.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

hype as fuuuuck for commander yammark
Old 12-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

hella bump

So its been a hot minute.

I've gotten some motivation to work on some new files, and have some stuff ready to go soon. Here are some songs I'm working on. Graphics for the following files would be greatly appreciated if someone could contribute!

Warmen- War of Worlds (old file from ODIpack3 submission days that I've had some new ideas for)
OSTER Project- Fukasetsufukasetsuten
Plini- Kind

I'll keep everyone updated whenever. Just getting some fun out of stepping again.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:01 AM   #19
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Tis the season for a bump and a new file!

I updated the first post with the new file and updated all of the download links with new links. The new file is a bit of a chop buster, so I hope you enjoy.

On a side note, if there is anyone who is good with making graphics, please send me a message. I'd love to get some of my completed files paired with a background and banner so I can get them uploaded as well.

Happy holidays and enjoy!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

i guess you could say... baq is baq
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote