Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Batch Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #5061
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submissions CLOSED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamon88 View Post
Actually, I learned the opposite of this in psych class (I just had a test yesterday, go figure).

It turns out that when people do a task expecting a reward, their intrinsic motivation for that task decreases as opposed to if they had been rewarded after the task without being notified of the reward prior to finishing it, or if they had not been rewarded at all.

Here's an article explaining the study that the effect originated from: http://explorable.com/overjustification-effect.html

Basically, the researchers went to a nursery school and observed the children’s intrinsic interest in various school activities. The 3- to 5-year old children were made to play and draw using felt-tipped pens and were at the same time, put into one of three different conditions for the experiment:

- First Condition: The Expected Award Condition
In this condition, the children were promised to receive a “Good Player” ribbon for participating in the activity where they will be drawing with the use of felt-tipped pens. Take note that the kids have already been doing this activity ever since, and with pure intrinsic interest.

- Second Condition: Unexpected Award Condition
In this condition, the children were not told about the reward they would be getting until they actually finished the activity.

- Third Condition: No-Reward Condition
Lastly, in this third condition, the children were not told or given any kind of reward. This group of kids served as the control group, since extrinsic rewards were not involved either before or after the said activity.

Later on, the children were again observed in a free-play setting to find out whether there is a significant difference in the number of children participating in the same activity, this time, without any promise of a reward. Here's a graph of what happened when they let the kids play:

As you can see, the kids who were originally given an incentive to drawing spent considerably less time doing it by themselves without reward, thus illustrating the decline of instrinsic motivation with the presence of rewards.

It's a really interesting effect, and if you want to do more reading into I suggest you do - psychology in general is really interesting.
I'm not denying the results of that study, but is this also applicable to building a career?
I would think a lot of factors have a result on this (like wether you want to grow in that particular activity you're doing), and children have a different mindset than adults about this.
I also mean reward as in achieving a personal goal and congratulating yourself for it, or simply getting a "great job".

Last edited by Nullifidian; 11-28-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #5062
megamon88
aka Assertive
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
I'm not denying the results of that study, but is this also applicable to building a career?
I would think a lot of factors have a result on this, and children have a different mindset than adults about this.
I also mean reward as in achieving a personal goal and congratulating yourself for it, or simply getting a "great job".
It really depends, but on an overall basis research shows that the presence of a reward decreases motivation by a significant amount. There were many other studies done after the original one. From Psychwiki:

"Meta-analyses and the Conclusion to the Controversies
With so many studies into the overjustification effect, meta-analyses of these studies were eventually done. In one significant meta-analysis in 1995, psychologists Tang and Hall sufficiently concluded that physical rewards which were made contingent upon completing an activity, did in fact undermine intrinsic interest in the activity.
Twenty-five years after Calder and Staw (1974) published their firsts doubts, another meta-analysis was performed in 1999 that confirmed that extrinsic motivation has a negative impact on intrinsic motivation. This meta-analysis is the work of Deci, Koestner, and Ryan (1999). It examined 128 carefully conducted experiments and found that tangible rewards do, indeed, greatly weaken intrinsic motivation.

Relevance for Everyday Life
The overjustification effect, as stated in Deci, Koestner, and Ryan’s meta-analysis, has significant consequences for many people. When control is placed on individuals by offering them incentives, the long term effect will be a loss in intrinsic motivation, accompanied by negative performance. This applies to classrooms, sports teams, as well as other environments. Should a reward be present, there is a risk of losing the enjoyment of the activity for itself."

I know it's not necessarily an "academic" source, but they do cite a lot of works on the page.

EDIT: I think personal goals and rewards would count as intrinsic motivation, but once outside motivation comes in (even things like receiving praise for your work), then that's when motivation starts to decrease.

Last edited by megamon88; 11-28-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #5063
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
It really depends, but on an overall basis research shows that the presence of a reward decreases motivation by a significant amount. There were many other studies done after the original one. From Psychwiki:

"Meta-analyses and the Conclusion to the Controversies
With so many studies into the overjustification effect, meta-analyses of these studies were eventually done. In one significant meta-analysis in 1995, psychologists Tang and Hall sufficiently concluded that physical rewards which were made contingent upon completing an activity, did in fact undermine intrinsic interest in the activity.
Twenty-five years after Calder and Staw (1974) published their firsts doubts, another meta-analysis was performed in 1999 that confirmed that extrinsic motivation has a negative impact on intrinsic motivation. This meta-analysis is the work of Deci, Koestner, and Ryan (1999). It examined 128 carefully conducted experiments and found that tangible rewards do, indeed, greatly weaken intrinsic motivation.

Relevance for Everyday Life
The overjustification effect, as stated in Deci, Koestner, and Ryan’s meta-analysis, has significant consequences for many people. When control is placed on individuals by offering them incentives, the long term effect will be a loss in intrinsic motivation, accompanied by negative performance. This applies to classrooms, sports teams, as well as other environments. Should a reward be present, there is a risk of losing the enjoyment of the activity for itself."

I know it's not necessarily an "academic" source, but they do cite a lot of works on the page.
Ah yeah, it talks about extrinsic rewards that are a "given" just for completing a task (pay every month etc I would think). I can see why that diminishes intrinsic motivation because why motivate yourself when you're getting it anyway? I would think that that's a signal that that particular activity isn't giving you meaning because for me, money is an extra (and a means to pay the rent, buy food etc.), but the joy I get from recognition and meaning I find in what I'm doing for career is what makes me keep on doing it.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #5064
megamon88
aka Assertive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Ah yeah, it talks about extrinsic rewards that are a "given" just for completing a task (pay every month etc I would think). I can see why that diminishes intrinsic motivation because why motivate yourself when you're getting it anyway? I would think that that's a signal that that particular activity isn't giving you meaning because for me, money is an extra (and a means to pay the rent, buy food etc.), but the joy I get from recognition and meaning I find in what I'm doing for career is what makes me keep on doing it.
Yeah, it's not really set in stone that you'll hate something if you get paid - if you really enjoy doing it, then you're right, your motivation wouldn't be affected too much. However, I've noticed this effect too; I find myself slowly losing motivation for producing music, and this effect could be the partial reason for it. For me, I think my reward for music is gaining fans, because who doesn't like it when people like stuff that you make? The more I get though, the less motivation I have to produce music - I know it sounds weird, but it's happening. I might just be in a slump though, so we'll see how I feel in a month or so. It might just be confirmation bias after learning about this in psych class. :P

Speaking of which, I have a psych paper due tomorrow that I haven't started. This got me warmed up though, so hopefully I can finish it somewhat fast.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #5065
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

whats a simfile

Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #5066
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I was about to lock this thread because it was going all haywire, but the end result doesn't seem entirely poisonous now.

I'll catch up to all of this later tonight. What you can expect in the near future though are applications for more judging positions. Will also get into that later.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #5067
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
I was about to lock this thread because it was going all haywire, but the end result doesn't seem entirely poisonous now.

I'll catch up to all of this later tonight. What you can expect in the near future though are applications for more judging positions. Will also get into that later.
just give us time, fiffer can always sort things out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #5068
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Scin 4 judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #5069
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."

I saw Arch0wl was back a while ago

Arch4judge
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #5070
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

notes where?
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #5071
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Notes MIA
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #5072
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Actually, I learned the opposite of this in psych class (I just had a test yesterday, go figure).

It turns out that when people do a task expecting a reward, their intrinsic motivation for that task decreases as opposed to if they had been rewarded after the task without being notified of the reward prior to finishing it, or if they had not been rewarded at all.

Here's an article explaining the study that the effect originated from: http://explorable.com/overjustification-effect.html

Basically, the researchers went to a nursery school and observed the children’s intrinsic interest in various school activities. The 3- to 5-year old children were made to play and draw using felt-tipped pens and were at the same time, put into one of three different conditions for the experiment:

- First Condition: The Expected Award Condition
In this condition, the children were promised to receive a “Good Player” ribbon for participating in the activity where they will be drawing with the use of felt-tipped pens. Take note that the kids have already been doing this activity ever since, and with pure intrinsic interest.

- Second Condition: Unexpected Award Condition
In this condition, the children were not told about the reward they would be getting until they actually finished the activity.

- Third Condition: No-Reward Condition
Lastly, in this third condition, the children were not told or given any kind of reward. This group of kids served as the control group, since extrinsic rewards were not involved either before or after the said activity.

Later on, the children were again observed in a free-play setting to find out whether there is a significant difference in the number of children participating in the same activity, this time, without any promise of a reward. Here's a graph of what happened when they let the kids play:

As you can see, the kids who were originally given an incentive to drawing spent considerably less time doing it by themselves without reward, thus illustrating the decline of instrinsic motivation with the presence of rewards.

It's a really interesting effect, and if you want to do more reading into I suggest you do - psychology in general is really interesting.
STEPMANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
caps
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #5073
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

i'll take batch notes for $200 please Trebek

Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #5074
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

"The sentiment of something urgent, which requires waiting"
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #5075
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

What are blue balls
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #5076
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
What are blue balls
/discussion
Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #5077
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Really happy with Beatrice's outcome (: Glad the judging team enjoyed it!

Beautiful Arrhythmia passed as well. (:
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #5078
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

Wow. Was not expecting those ratings. This outcome is better than expected

EDIT: 44 Edit - 7 / 8 / 6 / 8 [7.25]

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.

Last edited by FissionMailed1; 11-29-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #5079
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

uruguguigrghi

Challenge: 6.75
What Lies: 7

@Comments for Challenge the final mission!:

Yeah, I'll have to go fix up that fake 12th trill part lol, which I'll do if it gets in. I dislike it myself actually, but had no better idea at the time. I did contemplate putting straight 24ths, but the the rest of the file is like a 62-64, and straight 24ths at the part is like 17nps for 6 seconds iirc

Last edited by VisD; 11-29-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #5080
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Alright guys, I'll be judging the passed files, just for your information I did not open the review thread, I will do that only when I'm done. Best of luck to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Closed Thread