Old 11-7-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
Matrixdude
And She Screams My Name
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Matrixdude Send a message via MSN to Matrixdude
Default Re: Paranormal Activity 2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogsworth View Post
tl;dr: American horror, WTF? Start being decent again outside of campy horror. Drag Me To Hell was wonderful and all, but come on.
This man is pretty much a genius. Except it seems to me that I'm the only one who didn't enjoy Drag Me to Hell.

OT: I finally went out and saw Paranormal Activity 2 at midnight last night. It was about a hundred times better than I though it was going to be. There were a bunch of things wrong though, in my opinion.

First off, the acting in this movie was sub-par compared to the first one. I could really tell they were struggling to make it look real, especially the guy who played the dad. The first movie, although it had very few actors, did great on the acting and I could definitely relate with the characters' emotions easier. Not to mention I found many parts in PA1 quite humorous (when it was supposed to be), whereas the only parts that made me laugh in this movie was when the person behind me kicked my friend in the arm after a jump scare.

Which leads me to my next point: The horror. The movie mainly relied on jump scares to create fear. I enjoyed the first movie because the tension just kept building and things kept getting worse and worse. While this is sort of true in this movie, it's hardly effective at all and it made it much clearer when something was about to happen which actually made it less scary for me.

They also reused a lot of tricks for this movie, i.e. woman being dragged. Thus, I felt as if the scares were much less effective as I had seen it all before.

tl;dr, In my opinion, the first Paranormal Activity was much better than Paranormal Activity 2, although PA2 greatly exceeded my expectations.

Oh and I did really like how things tied together at the end, although the way it played out was a little silly and unimaginative. Other than that the movie really wasn't bad, surprisingly. It was, at the very least, enjoyable.