Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions

Old 03-9-2015, 05:47 PM   #181
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Skill Rating & Leaderboards Discussion [Updated Feb 17]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
What is Skill Rating?

Skill Rating is a new skill-based ranking system that assigns a rating to each player based on their performance on public songs. The following graph describes the relationship between the number of goods in a score and how well the difficulty of the song represents your skill:

This formula was created using data accumulated by the Official Tournament division placement team. Using this information, each qualifying score with less than 28 goods can be changed into a AAA-equivalent score, giving you the difficulty of the song on which you have essentially played with 0 goods. This difficulty is multiplied by one hundred to yield your rating.
I think this curve falls off too steeply to accurately gauge a player's skill.

A) Why have it decrease all the way to 0? Why not cut it off at 75% at the 28g mark? Someone could get 28g on RATO and it be beaten out by a Free Space AAA.

Then again, someone could get 20g on RATO and have it beaten out by an 80 AAA

B) The curve simply drops off too steeply, adding 1 point of difficulty adds more than 1g to your score. This will underrate players who don't whore for AAA's and overrate players than do.

Ex. 16-18g on an 80 is about equal with a 64 AAA - just no way in hell those are in the same ballpark.

For instance in my own, I would consider the more difficult song here the better score -

#7 63 None Would Escape 6,243 1372 0 0 0 2 59
#8 67 Oops 6,237 1394 5 0 0 4 13

Adding 4 points of diffuculty should theoretically add more than 5-0-0-2 to your score on any given song.

C) This system overrates a player's strengths and completely neglects weaknesses. Then again, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. However this system really shows how good someone is at their strengths, and not a measure of all around skill. For example, my jumpstreaming ability is just plain bad compared to my scores on non-JS charts in the FMO range.

D) Suggestions - Fix the difficulties on many errant charts, especially in the lower range. The D2-D3 range is very off because of just a few charts (please fix party4u now that you can record a score without a background). Also because of this new skill system, I think there should be a mixed consideration for difficulty to AAA and Difficulty to SDG. I know OWA currently has spoken against this, but if our skill ratings are going to show this balance, why wouldn't the song difficulties to some extent? ABCDeath is a perfect example, and if it's showing up on many, multiple players top 4 songs, it's clearly overrated.

I like the system, but it can certainly use some tweaking. It doesn't need a major slope change as the difficulty/PA drops, but it needs to be propped up some at least.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-9-2015, 06:01 PM   #182
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

My Paint skills are lacking, but you get the idea

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 03-11-2015 at 10:24 PM..
Old 03-9-2015, 07:05 PM   #183
FF_rules
FF Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
And yet you're still somehow D2 in tournaments.
Get outta here.
I still haven't AAA'd a song in D40, let alone D50. We can be D2 rivals 4lyfe (I have a problem with consistency; but I can generally play in Division 3 I suppose)

Also my skill rating is getting dangerously close to D4 atm according to just P4u and ABCDE lol.

FF_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #184
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

WHY DON'T TOKENS CONTRIBUTE TO LEADERBOARD RANKING FUCK YOU !!!! ok
Old 03-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #185
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

mfw my #5 rank is my 7-0-0-1 on dead & direct I got when i was high d3/low d4
skeletor as my #1 FTW

how does the ranking work for same lvl songs? ex i've AAA'd UC, fast asleep and eternal drain, all 67, yet ordered as UC > fast asleep > eternal drain.

edit oops i noticed same rating on all 4 of those

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Suggestions:
Add skill points section on results screen in R^3 for every score.
Upon searching, display a player's rank within their division as well to assist with tournament placements.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderFlip View Post

Kappa
except you fail to recognize that you didn't actually play any song between your two rank changes. thus meaning it was either people passed you, or (more likely) the formula was tweaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.

Last edited by popsicle_3000; 03-12-2015 at 08:07 PM..
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #186
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

I suggest a readjustment to some of the divisional cutoffs for skill ratings.
Right now it looks like it's set at
8650 for d7
7600 for d6
6450 for d5
5550 for d4
4650 for d3
2300 for d2
0001 for d1

I think D1-D3 is awkwardly grouped right now. You have to AAA or better level 23 to get to D2, and 47 or better to get to D3. I might be a bit out of the loop on the lower divisions actual skill but maybe something a bit more linear leading up to D4 would be nice. I suggest the cutoffs at:

8650 for d7
7600 for d6
6450 for d5
5550 for d4
3700 for d3
1800 for d2
0001 for d1

what do you guys think?

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 03-18-2015 at 07:21 PM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #187
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Did a small alternate account purge today. 2 D6 alts, 13 D5 alts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
I suggest a readjustment to some of the divisional cutoffs for skill ratings.
Right now it looks like it's set at
8650 for d7
7600 for d6
6450 for d5
5550 for d4
4650 for d3
2300 for d2
0001 for d1

I think D1-D3 is awkwardly grouped right now. You have to AAA or better level 23 to get to D2, and 47 or better to get to D3. I might be a bit out of the loop on the lower divisions actual skill but maybe something a bit more linear leading up to D4 would be nice. I suggest the cutoffs at:

8650 for d7
7600 for d6
6450 for d5
5550 for d4
3700 for d3
1800 for d2
0001 for d1

what do you guys think?
Thank you for your suggestion! I agree that an average AAA-equivalency of Difficulty-23 across four songs is too steep for D2. I will lower the cutoff for Division 2 tonight. However, I feel an average AAA-equivalency of Difficulty-37 is far too low for Division 3. As a general rule of thumb, a player should be able to meet two of the following criteria to qualify for that division:

Division 3
46 AAA
47 Flag
53 SDG
58 10-14g
60 15-19g

Division 2
23 AAA
24 Flag
29 SDG
34 10-14g
36 15-19g

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 03-19-2015 at 02:36 PM..
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #188
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

hmmm, thats actually pretty smart. it did seem like the d2 range was way too large how it was before, with some being barely able to keep up with the songs with their 15-20 AAA's and others AAA'ing all the way up to like, 45 lol. nice fix guys

edit: on another note, its scary how close im getting to being last place in d5 xD everyone is improving and im here staying stagnant atm.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal

Last edited by PhantomPuppy; 03-19-2015 at 03:59 PM..
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #189
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher

tokens need to count for rank ok look at the 88s there are 5 public ones and 7 tokens alright and look at the public ones like music (for kirby) and xanthystrauma OK i'm at the point where i have to play these files to improve where's my motivation : - (
Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #190
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

So it has just dawned on me about something. The new leaderboard system makes it slightly easier to sandbag in divisions.

Case in point: I have several low D7 scores; some that could easily be in my top 4 and bump me up to around that area. Specifically my 5-0-1-1 You Time score, had I not missed, it would be in my top 4. I want to say same to my 11-0-1-3 but probably top 10 rather than top 4.

Players who intentionally miss or boo on purposely such as players like aarrgghh are easily capable of sandbagging when people use the new skill rating system to place people (This would never be the problem in the OT but it's slightly a problem in the current user tournaments).

I know that a change to this would require raw scoring instead of combo scoring which lolwon'thappenforayear because of obvious asinine coding involved into combo scoring and I already know staff is somewhat working on unravelling that code.

Any thoughts?

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #191
Deidara837
For a New Beginning

lol aarrgghh

_9th OT: D2 - 13th Place
10th OT: D5 - 45th Place
11th OT: D6 - 12th Place

EMG Rivalry | EMG Spreadsheet
Deidara837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2015, 10:56 PM   #192
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Skill Rating & Leaderboards Discussion [Updated Apr 3]

Another leaderboard update for you all~

Skill Rating now includes token songs! One Winged Angel has moved any token songs containing zero framers, gimmicks, or short (< 30 note) intense difficulty spikes to Difficulty-0. The following token songs will not affect skill rating: Crowdpleaser, OMGWTFT0k3N, party 4u "holy nite mix", The Wises Were Wrong, and PWND!.

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 04-3-2015 at 11:04 PM..
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2015, 12:43 AM   #193
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

oooh, tokens affect rank? i might actually try to unlock some now lol

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2015, 01:55 AM   #194
FF_rules
FF Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Crowdpleaser, OMGWTFT0k3N, party 4u "holy nite mix", The Wises Were Wrong, and PWND!.
#1 63 party 4u "holy nite mix" v2 5,622 657 9 0 0 2 60

what about v2?

Quote:
Division 3
46 AAA
47 Flag
53 SDG
58 10-14g
60 15-19g
Wasn't D3 supposed to AAA a D50 as a minimum? filling just 2 of the criteria is also pretty vague; 10-14 on D58 and 15-19 on D60 for example (These type of songs have varying range of difficulty; Party 4u v2 has 10 seconds of "d60~ difficulty" and the rest falls very short). What i'm trying to say is Song length isn't factored in at all.

Note the difficulty system was designed to rate a song's AAA difficulty. Using that number to determine it's "~20g margin of error" is overlooking this key issue.

-I'm just putting in my many cents into this issue. Also according to this system I should be nearing Division 4 but I can't even play certain D50 songs and get a SDG. (Sandbagging? Maybe; but my top scores are just easy songs and stuff with inflated difficulty because of jacks).

----

Edit3: Also; I feel there has always been a gap between D2 and D3. As I've skated in between these two divisions and I feel the introduction of D2 and D2.5 in the double tourney was a step in the right direction. There are players who can get up to high D30s~ with a AAA and there are players who can get to D50 with SDG in the Division2 description atm; this is a huge gap of skill. We could probably do with expanding the amount of divisions + altering the formula for weighted scores on top 4 (or more).
-weighted score suggestion: Change the formula for how scores are weighed; the 4th highest shouldn't be worth a fraction of your highest, it should drag your overall score down a little harder. Possibly add more than just top 4; this should change how the system rates scores from people who can score high in a few outliers vs very consistent players. Alternatively; add a system to diversify difficulty of each song by labeling them as part of a play style.
(Streams)
(Jacks)
(Jumps/Hands)
(Rhythm) -mini streams with pauses, 123 break 123 break, etc
(Free Style) -a very diverse song with all of the possible patterns while maintaining difficulty throughout.
The system will categorize songs by scoring each difficulty as 2 different sets (The standard difficulty and each of the 5 difficulties it scores in the categories stated earlier.) Let's say a song is all jacks/jumps and sparse streams (hellbeat); when someone scores 5,000 points on it, they'll fill the category of Jacks/Jump with 5000 point score ~This process continues for songs that are stream heavy (AAA for example) and such until we have a diversified list of at least 10 songs that all fill different categories as their highest scores. Scores will be weighted evenly between their #1song in each category and can be viewed by everyone (Let's say a player has almost all of their scores in Streams and a big gap compared to anything with just jumps or jacks; this can be easier to distinguish what needs work -for the player- too).

Last edited by FF_rules; 04-4-2015 at 02:34 AM..
FF_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2015, 08:48 AM   #195
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_rules View Post
#1 63 party 4u "holy nite mix" v2 5,622 657 9 0 0 2 60

what about v2?
iirc v2 doesn't contain 0 framers.

The token songs he is talking about either contain 0 framers, intensely fast trill sections (CP in particular), and songs that even the best players have a 1/100 chance of actually getting a decent score.

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2015, 09:20 AM   #196
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Party 4u's difficulty was based on the background being in the way, now that no background scores record it needs to be nerfed to somewhere in the 50's.

I think what FF_Rules is saying is that the system puts all its weight on our strengths and ignores weaknesses. For example, I get D5 level scores on songs like Boot, Going on Spring Wind, Gynandromorph (overrated file), Goatstep (why is this not a 64), Oops, ETERNAL DRAIN [Heavy], The Divine Suicide of K [Heavy] (How is this still an FMO) and so on, but when it comes to endurance jump stream charts I still score like a mid D4 player.

Also, because the difficulty is based on difficulty to AAA, factors like song length and difficulty density aren't factored either. The best example of this is the song 300. The Jumpstream becomes manageable as a high D3 player and the slop comes from the jack transitions. Sure it may be a 70 in AAA difficulty, but even low-mid D4 players can teens the chart without too much problem, while getting over 100+ goods on most other FMOs. Not factoring for this can overrate players. The solution is simply adjusting some of the difficulties to at least factor difficulty to SDG/Teen instead of just difficulty to AAA.

Old 04-4-2015, 10:46 AM   #197
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I have no intentions of changing the way difficulties are determined, but if SDGs are producing skill rating scores that most players don't deem to be entirely accurate, I'm assuming the formula can easily be tweaked to reflect this.

There's no way to say with absolute certainty that 7g on a 60 is worth specifically the equivalent of a 50.XXX whatever AAA, they're just approximations (someone like prawn or trumpet could elaborate more on how these numbers were achieved). Just know that in terms of official tourney placements and what not, players will still be placed on a case by case basis with individual combing through levelranks. I wouldn't worry a great deal about being misplaced because of one or two outlier scores that are outside of your general skill range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2015, 11:12 AM   #198
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

That makes sense, and if anyone sees a problem with a chart's difficulty, it needs to be taken up in the [Contested Chart Difficulties] thread. I agree it's important to run through everyone's level ranks for placement, only using the ratings as a guideline, but as I've said above, I think the formula for the rating needs to be tweaked slightly.

In terms of difficulties, the mid FMO+ Range has been vetted quite thouroughly, but imo the low FMO/VC/C range has a lot to be desired in fixes.

Is there any way to run a query to see which songs are showing up the most in player's top 4 or top 10? If certain charts are appearing waaay to often, we can use that as a starting point for difficulty discussions? I really would like to see data on that.

Edit:// Sorry it keeps double posting because for some reason my internet connection is crap today

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 04-4-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-4-2015, 07:12 PM   #199
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Another leaderboard update for you all~

Skill Rating now includes token songs! One Winged Angel has moved any token songs containing zero framers, gimmicks, or short (< 30 note) intense difficulty spikes to Difficulty-0. The following token songs will not affect skill rating: Crowdpleaser, OMGWTFT0k3N, party 4u "holy nite mix", The Wises Were Wrong, and PWND!.
ty
Old 05-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #200
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Rank 9 is currently Velocity, and: "Velocity has insufficient games played (< 250 games played and < 50 unique songs passed)" Is this right?
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 05-17-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote