Old 07-1-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default 2017 March/April Set 3 (Complete)

Ever So Sweet
Youth of the Nation
Losing My Religion
Ocean Floor
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: March/April 2017 Set 3

DarkZtar finished the primary judge task for March/April Set 3. The notes can be seen below; this thread is being moved over to Completed Sets.

[0/10] Ever So Sweet {The Early November} (Travis_Flesher)
-Wrong bpm, steps don’t go to the music, layering is completely random.
-Ctrl-R file. You could at least use the right bpm.

[0/10] Youth of the Nation {P.O.D.} (Travis_Flesher)
-Wrong bpm, steps don’t go to the music, layering is completely random.
-Ctrl-R file. At least the first 5 seconds worth of notes kind of went to the music.

[1/10] Losing My Religion {Scary Kids Scaring Kids} (Xtreme2252)
All of these random white notes need to go, they don’t go to anything.
Jump choice is pretty poor with regards to pr. (eg. 2.379 where you have [34][12][34] when the last 2 jumps should have an anchor for the repeated synth pitch.
-12.614 repeated jumps to the guitar is super lazy, especially when you have the synth still going.
-Layering in general is suuuper lazy just giving the rest of the file a playthrough.
-16.144 layering inconsistency, you have jumps to the guitar and vocals (not a very interesting layering scheme since those are the only two elements here to be honest) but a single note for this guitar note.
-16.673 why the delayed 32nd? Note fits fine onto the 8th
-17.114 all these 16ths here are ghost notes
-21.261 ghost note
-22.408 this 16th jump should be on the 8th before it
-22.761 same thing with this 16th jump
-alright, not much point going on past here, this is not close to being ready. Slow the song down, make sure you’ve got accurate note placement to the sounds that are present, remove all of the ghost notes (there are a ton throughout this file), and make sure you’ve got a consistent layering scheme going since what you have now is all over the place.
-35.202 as a rule of thumb, funky color stuff is alright for dicksyncing or color gimmics or highlighting stuff, but not for stuff like this where the rhythms are straightforward and the colors are just a result of poor syncing

[2/10] Ocean Floor {The Bunny The Bear} (Xtreme2252)
-24.959 some of the 32nds in this intro are super sketchy, but this one is a blatant ghost note.
-28.119 Alright, I’m all for glossed over streams to facilitate jumpstream memes, but when you’ve got an obvious hi-hat rhythm you can follow, this just doesn’t work. Hi-hat rhythm follows triplets, so the 16ths at 28.440, 28.869, etc are ghost notes.
-31.546 and then the 16ths stop even though the hi-hats keep going…
-32.831 you wut m8. Edit: oh ok, these jacks are supposed to go to the filtered synth in the background. Why on earth do you have jacks to acknowledge this faint background synth but have several blank sections where the hi-hat 16th triplets are present.
-sync has also drifted noticeably by this point, I suspect the bpm is incorrect
-44.827 in general avoid using jacks when they don’t specifically go to anything, or your layering scheme forces you to.
-46.755 im guessing this jack goes to the same background synth as 32.831, which shows this as another inconsistency since that jack was 4 notes and this jack is 2 notes.
-48.254 it almost feels random at this point where you have 16ths and where you don’t.
-69.247 alright this whole section is a mess. Missing notes, weird jump transitions, you name it.
-looking over the rest of the file, the same problems persist. Ending the review here
-Much of the 16th handstreams are ghost notes that are filled in, while a lot of the 8th jumpchain sections are the same music wise but treated entirely differently.
-I really implore you to just tone down all of the layering so that it is easier for you to keep track of what is going on in this file. Start off simple and work your way to more complex/progressive layering.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 2017 March/April Set 3 (Complete)

Quality stuff right there~
Old 08-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Quality stuff right there~
Why would you make this comment?
Old 08-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nkeyz View Post
Why would you make this comment?
Don't be mr.goodguy here it'll give you nothing; a best note of 2/10 on a 4 files set is extremely poor.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

And btw Monkeyz I hope you're trolling because if you're ok with Ctrl-R files to be in the batches you should probably think for a second.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default Re: 0/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ositzxz369 View Post
What's a Ctrl+R file?
CTRL-R is the hotkey in stepmania editing to start freely recording arrow presses. ctrl-r is usually the foundation and sometimes the only method i use to do Stepmania charts. i am not being biased, i truly believe that ctrl-r is the best. it is the original method and still my go-to but there is some new school stuff out there that involves more mathematics and structure aesthetics that lots of other peeps use all the time and ,to my surprise, have exceeded ctrl-r in popularity. many schools of thought on this, which just adds to the value of this great game.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 08-20-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What's a Ctrl+R file?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #9
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ositzxz369 View Post
What's a Ctrl+R file?
When you hit Ctrl-R in the editor (at least in DDream), you enter Recording mode where you simply hit the keys however you want while the song plays and it adds notes where you hit. This results in very poorly synced/quantized files and is basically a way to create dumpfiles. If you take a look at Travis' files (linked in the OP) you will see clearly what that does.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #10
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Even though im pretty sure Travis_fletcher is trolling judging from his comments in this thread, I think every new stepfile creator should be encouraged even if they still got alot to learn.

Whether it's to properly make use of DDReamstudio or structure their files properly.

Also the comment you made came off slightly snarky and unnecessary to me, especially since we have to wait several months for these notes. A low score speaks for itself.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nkeyz View Post
Even though im pretty sure Travis_fletcher is trolling judging from his comments in this thread, I think every new stepfile creator should be encouraged even if they still got alot to learn.

Whether it's to properly make use of DDReamstudio or structure their files properly.

Also the comment you made came off slightly snarky and unnecessary to me, especially since we have to wait several months for these notes. A low score speaks for itself.
Tbh I hope you'll understand where I come from when I say that it sucks to see this when we clearly have way less quality content than before, the judges' time is being wasted (for Travis' case it's pretty voluntarily), there are good files that have been waiting for months/years, and there's help all around for stepping files.