Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #1421
Senip
Forum User

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

You're also 19, there's a world of difference between your body and someone like me and reincarnate, unfortunately.

Unless you eat like a pig 24/7 and sit on your ass, you'll probably stay skinny regardless.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #1422
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
You're also 19, there's a world of difference between your body and someone like me and reincarnate, unfortunately.

Unless you eat like a pig 24/7 and sit on your ass, you'll probably stay skinny regardless.
i actually come from a really obese family, and was pretty chubby up until age 16. began running and changed my diet up a bit and lost ~50 pounds in about two or three months (but that was also eating very little)

i have absolutely terrible metabolism and need to exercise often to not gain weight. basically.. i eat healthy because it helps me with running and other sports and feeling good, but if i ate the same caloric amount with greasy, fatty foods and did the same workouts, i'd be just as fine. it'd be harder to do the workouts, but if the will is there, it can be done.

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #1423
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Metabolism only accounts for a small portion of energy expenditure variance.

And even then it's not entirely genetic. On my last cut I had to keep my calories at like 1700 to get lean, my maintenance was hovering at around 2200-2300.

Now it's somewhere over 3000, just by changing lifestyle and gaining muscle.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #1424
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

might have re-injured my knee at work last night. got down to 215. clothes are starting to fall off, but I can't see any change personally.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #1425
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

So I've decided to take my fitness routines more seriously now, and I need some advice. Right now I've been doing 5 minutes on the treadmill, walking at 2.0mph but at the steepest incline (12.0 on reebok treadmills) 2-3 times a day. What are some other good cardio/fat burning exercises I could do? Also, what are some good nutritional recommendations? Right now I've been drinking 2 muscle milks, a 3oz piece of grilled chicken breast, and lots of water (both in the forms of regular water and Crystal light), on top of taking 2 multivitamin's a day. Is there anything more I should do?
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #1426
Senip
Forum User

>_>that's not much. I'm eating 4 meals of 7 oz chicken/beef, and 2 meals of a cup and a half of egg whites.

What's the ratios in 2 muscle milks? surely not enough.

Bump your cardio to like 30 minutes, do 5 days a week.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #1427
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
So I've decided to take my fitness routines more seriously now, and I need some advice. Right now I've been doing 5 minutes on the treadmill, walking at 2.0mph but at the steepest incline (12.0 on reebok treadmills) 2-3 times a day. What are some other good cardio/fat burning exercises I could do? Also, what are some good nutritional recommendations? Right now I've been drinking 2 muscle milks, a 3oz piece of grilled chicken breast, and lots of water (both in the forms of regular water and Crystal light), on top of taking 2 multivitamin's a day. Is there anything more I should do?
Meh, cardio is for cardiovascular fitness. Fat loss is all diet.

Are those standard size muscle milks? How many calories are in the ones you're drinking? The ones I have are like, 180 calories each. So 360 + 250 would put your daily caloric intake at 610 for the day if that's all your eating.

You'll drop weight like a wrecking ball but I recommend two servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables on top of that for your dietary fiber + minerals. Plus that will bring you closer to 1000 calories so you don't feel like you're starving to death 24/7 :P
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #1428
Senip
Forum User

I'm not sure if he'll feel like he's starving, he got one of those lap band things, as far as I recall.

But I agree, he's eating way too little. Especially if he's like 300+ which I seem to remember. kick your loss into overdrive by doing some exercises.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #1429
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

How often do you guys go shopping (for food)?
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1430
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
How often do you guys go shopping (for food)?
Once every two weeks @ Costco.

I'll stop at a local supermart if I need to during the week to pick up misc stuff like milk.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #1431
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

omg thank god. my knee feels back to normal. wanted to kill myself that night and the next day. i'm surprised i still have a knee. iced it so much it should have just fallen off

i'll be back on the gym grind in a few. just want to really make sure i'll be okay.

big question: does diet matter that much? or is it just calorie deficit? would it be better to clean and continue eating the same amount of calories or eat 500 less calories in junk food?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #1432
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Just dropping by to say I've beaten my class objective of achieving 6000m in 30 minutes on the rowing machine (which for me is an awesome awesome fulfillment) ^-^
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #1433
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
omg thank god. my knee feels back to normal. wanted to kill myself that night and the next day. i'm surprised i still have a knee. iced it so much it should have just fallen off

i'll be back on the gym grind in a few. just want to really make sure i'll be okay.

big question: does diet matter that much? or is it just calorie deficit? would it be better to clean and continue eating the same amount of calories or eat 500 less calories in junk food?
For weight/fat loss? No, just calorie deficit.

Though, if you want to maintain muscle mass, you should keep your protein intake high. If your protein intake is high, you can get the rest of your calories from wherever you want, including junk.

Is that *healthy* though? No, probably not.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #1434
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

so I just started using a foam roller and those things are AMAZING. I've had a slightly messed up shoulder for quite a few months now. It started around September, around then I was benching 205 for sets of 8 so basically around a 250 max. After my shoulder acted up I was back down to about 165 for sets which was pretty sad but obviously there was still a ton I could do and I did of course. I was benching 185 for 8 reps right before I bought the foam roller exactly a week ago. I've been using it and not only has my shoulder pretty much healed up in the short time of a week but I benched 225 for 5 solid reps yesterday, a ridiculous jump in a week. I would definitely recommend getting a foam roller to all of you and if you have an injury, work that spot on the roller about 2-3 times a day. Anyways I'm pretty stoked that I can finally work on that aspect, improvements to come
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #1435
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Rubix: I visit a grocery store at least twice a week. Lots of fresh produce gets icky after a few days. But I also live next door to a grocery store and I don't eat out ever anymore, so a trip often consists of only a couple items. And I get meat from the farmer's market every week in winter and spring, but buy a ton of produce there in summer/fall too. I love leftovers the next day. Only thing I've frozen in the past year has been chili.

A2P: Fibre, produce. Nothing will make you feel fatter than full bowels. And manufactured vitamins are often a different form than what nature has made, making them less effective, although unless you suffer from health issues that could be vitamin deficiencies, your multivitamin probably isn't necessary.

"i typically don't eat after 7 when i eat a late dinner" Regular dinnertime for me is 6:30. Late dinner is 8. If you only get home at 6, and you cook for yourself, dinner will be 7.

Last edited by Cavernio; 03-27-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #1436
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

i try to swing by a grocery store on my bike ride home from work every day. i don't drive, so usually i just buy what i feel like eating that day or over the next week and put it all in my backpack or w/e i have with me to carry stuff.
my wisdom teeth were removed on monday, so i'm only eating smoothies and tomato soup (i would rather spring for cream of mushroom, but beef stock and cream aren't vegan. i put at least 1 tblsp of brown rice protein powder (1 tbsp=5g protein) in the soups and at least 3 tbsp into each smoothie (i make at least 3 smoothies a day, and protein from the fruits complete my DRV of protein)
the smoothies are made of banana, pineapple, strawberry, almond milk, and agave nectar. so there is some protein in that too.

this means that nearly 80% of my protein intake is from this powder, and i'm looking to find other means of acquiring protein in a liquified form. whey is not an option because it is not vegan. the only thing i can really think of is blending together spinach and kale.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #1437
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

According to my broke-ass scale, I lost 10lbs in 2 days so I think it's time for a new one.

Last checked I was 158.5, 13% body fat. decided I'm not cutting and may just be a fucking man and bulk for 2 years straight.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #1438
Senip
Forum User

I try to make it at least a weekly thing, but sometimes shit comes up and gotta go earlier.

Gonna start buying beef liver and whole chickens. Liver's only 2.99 a pound and doesnt have all the shit that ground beef comes with, so it's about the cost of chicken breasts. whole chickens are like 10 bucks for 10 pounds, cant beat that shit. I got 2 10 pound bags of sweet potatoes and went through them in less than a week, was like "da fuq?"
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #1439
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

ahhh i need to start being less picky about sweet potatoes... there are so many good thai and indian recipes with them

following up on my search for liquified vegan protein, i remember that silken tofu is easily blended and has a yogurt-like texture. 1 whole package mixes nicely and provides 16g protein.

today is my first 8 hour shift at my new job (bike delivery) so i started the day with a smoothie that had 1/3c of the brown rice protein powder (~27g) and 2 large handfuls of raw spinach. for lunch i'm planning on going to Qdoba and eating tortilla soup, which is vegan. if it weren't for that, i think i would be shit out of luck, as i still am uncomfortable chewing anything more-solid than potatoes

also, does anyone use Strava? i fucking love that shit. according to it, i burn 344 calories on my ride to work, which is 6.1mi. my ride home has a 150ft gain in elevation, and the wind pattern in my area tends to blow in my face, so rides home are often more strenuous. lets say 400 calories, i'll track it on strava today and edit in an update when i find out for sure what that number is. whenever i go run errands or hang out, the ride TO there is usually 3-5miles, by my calculation that adds at the LEAST 338 more calories. let's not even consider the calories i burn when i go on group rides or ride my bike just to ride my bike for the fun of it. i burn a minimum of 1000 calories a day. how does that compare, and what should my caloric intake be if i want to maintain weight?

edit: i didn't factor in the calories burned while i'm working. usually deliveries are within a quarter mile and i make 2 or 3 every hour and just to get my heart pumping i flat-out sprint all the way if the stoplights allow it. so work adds a trivial amount of calories being burned as well.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut

Last edited by Aldentron; 03-29-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #1440
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

<3 IIFYM

Down to 175.0, not even dry. Not sure where that weight went, but calipers are reading under 10% already. Starting to look lean as hell.

Haven't even been eating well either. Ice cream cake every day this week (birthday), pizza, pastas...jesus. Just been trying to fit it into my macros as good as I can.

And it has been working. Losing weight anyway, retaining muscle. Success. Serratus coming in, oblique strations, quad striations coming in nicely...diary queen diet ftw.