Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-6-2014, 08:27 AM   #781
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Speedrunning Thread

Thanks for the tips and videos. I'll probably never get terribly fast at this, given how difficult it is and how little time I actually have to practice, but it's fun none the less and helps me appreciate top tier runs a lot more haha
Old 07-6-2014, 06:58 PM   #782
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

How's your MMX speedrun, Reach? (Any%)

Last edited by Reincarnate; 07-6-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2014, 07:12 PM   #783
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Speaking of MMX1:

igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #784
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
How's your MMX speedrun, Reach? (Any%)
40ish? (100%).

Honestly I don't remember exactly though because I haven't ran the game in a few years. My mario 64 was just over 20 minutes (16 star run). Was always really bad at using the bunny to get through the wooden door.

Don't have my SNES set up currently but think that I should, not sure I love the controller I'm using for speedrunning on emulator. It's alright, but the D pad isn't the most responsive and it makes hitting walljumps and stuff in SM a bit harder than it should be. I'm hitting stuff like alkatraz decently frequently now and skipping kraid here and there now which isn't bad.

Biggest hiccup now is Phantoon. It's not awful on emulator because I can just reload the fight but if I get a bad pattern I die a lot. I pick up an extra energy tank after Kraid but even then I always find I'm low on health and it makes me wanna not shine spark across the water to get into the ghost ship. It's also really hard to hit that little shit sometimes with X beam.

I think the thing I suck at the most right now is actually damage boosting. Just never seems to work. Shine sparking Draygon is pretty easy now and Ridley is alright assuming I pick up two extra energy tanks.

Did about an 8 minute Spore Spawn RTA for shits and giggles. I think I waste the most time on the long chamber climb before bomb because I randomly miss walljumps, which is is why I think I'll set up my SNES when I get time.

Last edited by Reach; 07-11-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #785
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Spore Spawn RTA is best category I use it for warmups a lot since it's nice and quick.

Phantoon is where I lose a lot of time as well. I don't know the most up-to-date strategy since it requires memorizing exact movements and timings based on which pattern you get so it'll take a lot of practice to get it right every time. Even with the old strategy hitting the x-factor is really tough sometimes. I wouldn't worry too much about that though until much later. Just get good enough that you don't die to him and worry about speed later.

EDIT: We should organize some SM races with all the people on FFR that run it. Would be fun

Last edited by shenjoku; 07-11-2014 at 02:43 PM..
shenjoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #786
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Would be fun.

Though w/o save states anything other than spore spawn RTA will be me dead at phantoon likely unless I skip the ghost ship shine spark and dick around a bit to keep my health up

i.e. I won't be much competition yet hahaha
Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #787
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
.I play with a keyboard though so fast/precise wall-jumping might be a lot easier than with a SNES controller (I can execute The Climb relatively well and my best bomb time is about 5 mins flat).
I play SM64 with my keyboard and nobody can tell the difference :P

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #788
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Would be fun.

Though w/o save states anything other than spore spawn RTA will be me dead at phantoon likely unless I skip the ghost ship shine spark and dick around a bit to keep my health up

i.e. I won't be much competition yet hahaha
If nothing else it would be good practice for surviving without save states Pretty sure I did that my first race. Spent a lot of time farming energy outside phantoon with those little atoms and the ghost by the green door.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #789
intensez
FFR Player

hi i don't post that much but i did a run of mario golf (??!!??) a week or two ago, was proud of it so i thought i'd share it here too. starts @ 1:02

video has a description with random details about this xd
intensez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #790
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Thread was a good laugh: http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/com...in_a_nutshell/
Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #791
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Not sure if predicting the future or designers getting inspiration from the cartoon
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #792
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Quote:
lmao that's amazing.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #793
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I've been doing the speed runs on Rayman Origins (They implemented speedrunning into the game). Any of you also doing this?

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #794
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
I've been doing the speed runs on Rayman Origins (They implemented speedrunning into the game). Any of you also doing this?
Wait, really? I'm actually into running a game like Rayman Origins, I'll check that out.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #795
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Yeah, it's fun and decently challenging. If you mess up and pop, you have to start all the way back at the starting point, so make sure you run with agile and a heart

Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #796
DarkbearX
Shimose
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

A bit late to respond on this but it could help someone else here so w/e:

Quote:
Things that gave me the biggest problems:

Kraid fast kill (I'm like 1 in 100 for this trick right now. Is there a consistent way to do it? Sometimes the second missile doesn't hit OR I hit him with two supers and he just randomly closes up).
Your position on the blocks is important for the 2missile/3super quick kill. if the second missile misses your position on x axis is wrong

Quote:
Quick shine sparks. How the hell do you do this? Couldn't get the one in norfair...not even CLOSE. Same with Draygon.
http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/S...horterDistance <-- Pay really close attention to that image of Samus, that's when you want to tap run. having run held on that frame tricks the game into thinking you're gaining speed. it ticks 4 times so if you have run pressed on those specific frames 4 times you'll turn blue. you can walk then press run a little bit later (read: on that magic frame) and that'll be good enough for anything you need to do in any%. learning shorter charges of course helps at a high level of play.

Quote:
Maridia shine spark before boss...how is this possible? Lmao
fast/optimal walljumping.

Quote:
Draygon and Ridley...man. I know Phantoon is considered the worst because of RNG but technically speaking he wasn't bad. Even I killed him pretty fast and I SUCK. Those bosses though. Save states galore. Shine sparking Draygon and manipulating Ridley are 100x harder than they look in runs.
shinesparking Draygon takes some good practice but manipulating Ridley is the easiest thing to do once you understand his AI. Here's a video i made that looks into his AI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBrbkd8zico

Quote:
Rest was OK. Mostly me botching shit that doesn't look that hard in runs (omg the wall jump up into ball after you get bombs...100+ tries for sure).
Pressing down just once right out of a walljump will instantly morph samus so long as you have jump held down. retry this trick (alcatraz) with this in mind and it should be much easier.

Quote:
Everything is literally 1000x harder than people like Zoast make it look. I couldn't even figure out how to do the damage boost thing where you take a hit to get a speed boost in the air.
to damage boost you face the opposite direction you want to travel in, take damage and right after getting hit you hit the direction you want to go with jump held down. after you take damage you have 4 frames to dboost so it's pretty lenient, though each boost has sort of a different outcome.

Last edited by DarkbearX; 07-13-2014 at 09:08 PM..
DarkbearX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #797
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
Yeah, it's fun and decently challenging. If you mess up and pop, you have to start all the way back at the starting point, so make sure you run with agile and a heart
Oh, it's the stage time trials? They were already there when I got to play the game, they are fun and a reasonable challenge when playing the first time around. I thought it was something like a speedrun overlay or even leaderboards, I generally like those as I'm too lazy to setup everything for RTA haha

Some games I messed around recently were Escape Goat 2 and Freedom Fall, I found them really fun for running though I only did ILs so far.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #798
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutotelicBrown View Post
Oh, it's the stage time trials? They were already there when I got to play the game, they are fun and a reasonable challenge when playing the first time around. I thought it was something like a speedrun overlay or even leaderboards, I generally like those as I'm too lazy to setup everything for RTA haha

Some games I messed around recently were Escape Goat 2 and Freedom Fall, I found them really fun for running though I only did ILs so far.
Ahh sorry, yeah they don't have leaderboards, and they should've came out with some sort of online feature for that game. It's already split screen 4-player, they could've expanded that and brought leaderboards as well as other modes for other gamers. Freedom Fall is very fun, great choice

Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #799
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Freedom Fall sure is fun, I'm planning on doing a full game speedrun on the new hard mode, already routed up to the Waterway level. The steam leaderboards are still dead for the hard levels though, so far it seems I'm the only one who has put some effort optimizing stuff.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 AM   #800
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

So I went and got myself Minesweeper X 1.15 after getting a sub-90 on Expert. Took me a couple days to get used to the old-school look (hell, I'm still trying to adjust) but I'm getting some decent times.

How is it better? Timekeeping to two decimal places, plus it automatically saves a video replay when you get a PB.

Now, keep in mind that over about 8000 games on vanilla, I have a PB line of 4-25-89, good for top 600 US (how do 1.5 click). Here's my line on the new one:

Beg 5.24
Int 27.04
Exp 95.70

I'd say that's pretty consistent, at least when I manage to not misclick.