Old 12-5-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Blazing Phoenix
FFR Player

Default eyes need the unfocusing

Ooook. What's the best way to explain this. Basically I am trying to find a way to get my eyes to manually unfocus when I play songs so that I can read the notes better. Now this is not the eyes crossing unfocusing, but the "I just put on the wrong glasses and now everything is blurry" type. I've been noticing over the last few weeks that this really improves my ability to play pretty much all songs, but mostly 55-60 and up.

The problem is that so far I have only been able to do this when the song actually gets to the part of the song where the arrows are the most crowded. Even then, it takes about a second to adjust to the new view and in that time I could have missed an arrow or two so I need to be already in that state of having blurry vision.

Years ago on my first account I figured out that looking toward the bottom of FFR's box and making my eye balls look up from a down tilted face helps bring about this state. I assume this has to do with quicker reaction time in your peripheral vision. Because of this I even end up looking at the bottom left corner of the box and it helps too.

I've looking around and so far I can't find anything that is very helpful for learning how to blur your vision manually. Once again though, what I am trying to do here is not the same as what it takes to look at those 3D fuzzy pictures where you cross your eyes, I can do those just fine.

Anyway, I hope that was enough detail for something so weird and meta. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. Also I play on R^3 with a 2.7 speedmod if that helps. Also just now when I went to check my speedmod, I realized I could change the framerate from 30 to 60 so I did that and it made a ridiculously huge difference that I'm not really sure I like. I like the smoothness of it but it makes my accuracy go way down for some reason.
Blazing Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: eyes need the unfocusing

I know exactly what you're talking about, and it helps me a lot when trying speed charts.
If you're not good at transitioning from being focused to unfocused, try magic eye puzzles or even just typical eye strain exercises. For example hold one thumb near your nose and one thumb at arm's length and alternate focusing between them.

Ultimately though, I think it's a sign you need to increase your speedmod.
I've found my need to do this goes away as I raise my speedmod.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
Red Blaster
Bridge Burner
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: eyes need the unfocusing

I just kinda space out.
I don't focus on one arrow individually, rather just stare at them all in a general sense. Nothing particular is in focus, but it's not exactly what I'd call blurry. It's kinda like if you were looking at a background..the foreground is fuzzy. Look past the arrows
It's hard to explain how to do it, but it really feels like I just switch off or something. It usually happens when I play lazily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
what's a milky christmas :O
Red Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote