Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania

Old 03-8-2019, 10:37 PM   #21
Shireen_dg
Banned

Default Re: How do i get good at this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
Play my files B)
Okay!!
Shireen_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #22
cetaka
Dark Chancellor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to cetaka

very carefully op

cetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:50 AM   #23
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
Play my files B)
non sarcastically, this is actually good advice

not because of anything other than they teach pretty much the most vital skills for high level play though from as far as I can tell, just make sure to find some files that dabble in bursts to supplement them
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:49 AM   #24
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

A game is a game and a person is a person, there's nothing we can do to change that. Contemplate that music has a mind of its own... then give up.
Moria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 AM   #25
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

Live and promise nothing.
Moria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #26
Blackskull305
Sippin' tea in yo hood
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I recommend checking out this useful beginner's guide posted by Etienne (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jz-b7qo9nyo).

A lot of people don't like the idea of playing things that require you to 'mash'. However, in my experience, once you get to a certain level of play (high D5 / D6), I have found that systematic mashing on extremely hard stamina files (with the goal of dropping 0 misses) helps build the physical strength required to actually hit insane streams. Once that physical strength is in place, it becomes easier to gradually learn how to read really dense patterns.
Blackskull305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #27
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Masturbate a lot so yr wrists r storng

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #28
Shireen_dg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackskull305 View Post
I recommend checking out this useful beginner's guide posted by Etienne (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jz-b7qo9nyo).

A lot of people don't like the idea of playing things that require you to 'mash'. However, in my experience, once you get to a certain level of play (high D5 / D6), I have found that systematic mashing on extremely hard stamina files (with the goal of dropping 0 misses) helps build the physical strength required to actually hit insane streams. Once that physical strength is in place, it becomes easier to gradually learn how to read really dense patterns.
I like this advice and it goes against the advice everyone else is giving me, but i find that i improve a lot faster when i play like this
Old 03-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #29
V-Ormix
Banned

Maybe try tapping a long to a video or replay so that you feel like you are hitting things perfectly just to build up you're stamina and then play things for real after you have warmed up??

It's weird how invincible you can feel when you play along with some thing and the things that would stress you out like missing or bad accuracy aren't there to mess you up.
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #30
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

set goals on songs that are actually relevant files and challenge specific skillsets and work towards them by playing similar files or by downrating them and slowly working up to the rate your goal is

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=676813288

heres a list of decent files that are D5, theres tabs at the bottom.. id suggest just skipping D4 and downrating D5 files, goals for D5 shit would be like

jacks - flower dance 1.5 in Mina Megapack 4
jumpstrem - Grief and Malice 1.0 in Fullerene Shift
speed/streams - Hospital 1.0 in Skwid 3
chordjacks - KISS CANDY FLAVOR 1.0 in Yolomania 2
handstrem - Bird Spirit - Awakening of Light- 1.1 in FFR Community Pack 4
stamina - idk, maybe Cyber Induction 1.0 in nuclear blast 4

or dont do that and just play worthless overrated long jack files that train nothing, either way probably works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 03-24-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #31
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shireen_dg View Post
I like this advice and it goes against the advice everyone else is giving me, but i find that i improve a lot faster when i play like this
You think because nobody else thinks it's a good idea it might not be?

(I hit a huge skill plateau and got myself RSI from doing that)
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMaple8 View Post
You think because nobody else thinks it's a good idea it might not be?

(I hit a huge skill plateau and got myself RSI from doing that)
From my experience, I went from mid D5 to low-mid D7 in one year after I adopted the 'mashing hard songs with the goal of building stamina/speed and reading capability' training regimen. It is possible to do incorrectly though, if you don't know what to look out for.

You could have pushed yourself too hard, or your body might not have been able to handle that type of training. Either way, I've coached several players using this training regimen and the three that stuck with it long enough to see results, said they did in fact gain from it (Blackskull being one of the three).

If anything, it's worth a try, but be careful.
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 03-25-2019 at 01:41 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #33
Shireen_dg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
set goals on songs that are actually relevant files and challenge specific skillsets and work towards them by playing similar files or by downrating them and slowly working up to the rate your goal is

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=676813288

heres a list of decent files that are D5, theres tabs at the bottom.. id suggest just skipping D4 and downrating D5 files, goals for D5 shit would be like

jacks - flower dance 1.5 in Mina Megapack 4
jumpstrem - Grief and Malice 1.0 in Fullerene Shift
speed/streams - Hospital 1.0 in Skwid 3
chordjacks - KISS CANDY FLAVOR 1.0 in Yolomania 2
handstrem - Bird Spirit - Awakening of Light- 1.1 in FFR Community Pack 4
stamina - idk, maybe Cyber Induction 1.0 in nuclear blast 4

or dont do that and just play worthless overrated long jack files that train nothing, either way probably works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for the list, I'll check it out!

But I don't understand the last bit, should i play worthless files that train nothing? why is that good?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #34
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shireen_dg View Post
But I don't understand the last bit, should i play worthless files that train nothing? why is that good?
Probably sarcasm
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #35
IwasAsquidOnce
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to IwasAsquidOnce

I'll throw my 2 cents in here why not

1) Playing files that are above your level is good, but make sure you're actually trying to hit the patterns and not just mashing. otherwise, you might as well just jump straight to 110 if you want to mash.

2) Mashing is not bad though, it is basically exercise for this game in my opinion. If you can't FC a file, you definitely cannot AAA it Mashing builds tappy speed

3) So in conclusion make sure you play files that you can play well, as well as files that are hard, but not so hard that you can no longer read any of it. But hey throw some mashy files in there from time to time to get the blood moving.]

4)Improvement takes a long time. You're probably just plateau'ing, something you better get used to. Given your 11 im sure you'll be improving soon but, thats pretty standard on this game. #skillboosts

Last edited by IwasAsquidOnce; 03-26-2019 at 02:39 PM..
IwasAsquidOnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #36
Shireen_dg
Banned

ye i'm level 15.78 now so i improved a little since then but i still got a long way to go
Old 03-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #37
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

play in mp. join tournaments. competition keeps you playing
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #38
11brendon
Jesus on the dashboard
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Thumbs up Re: How do i get good at this game?

all doz sm tourneys and mpers (competition is good i dont disagree but not in those currently inactive forms)

my best advice:

play every day at least 2 hours, more if you can. its extremely important for developing muscle memory and stamina.

when the game pushes you, dont back down, push back. eg dont back down from files that seem too hard for you, play them through anyway until you are fast enough for them, and when youre fast enough for them, rate up and go even faster, push harder.

practice sucks and is boring. and i might not have mentioned it, but practice sucks and is boring. if you want to get better, you need to put up with long boring sessions where you feel like youre accomplishing nothing. the results will show in a couple weeks and you will be thankful you practiced and trained for that.

training more than one skillset at a time isnt really good for you unless the skillsets have synergy (jumpstream/stamina, tech/jack as examples).

consistency matters. consistent what? not consistent gameplay, but consistently playing the same way every time matters. dont change up your cmod, receptor position, keyboard placement, hand position, whatever the hell variable is possible to change when you play. it is a lot harder to diagnose issues and develop consistency if you change something every time you play. set up settings youre completely comfortable with at the time, have your game window be placed in the same exact place every time if youre not on fullscreen, chair in the same exact place, arms, hands, keyboard, pay attention to where you put everything.

find a rival. my periods of fastest improvement were when i had someone else there pushing me. if you completely outpace your rival or they stop, get a new one asap. you dont even need to have direct communication to your rival. if you just find someone that is close to you in level, try to pass them as much as possible.

DONT VIBRO JACKS dont vibro jacks, if you cant vibro then good for you, if you vibro jacks then you are setting yourself up for complete failure. instead, focus your technique on either wristjacking or elbowjacking (if you dont understand those, the wrist/elbow is the fulcrum point and you move them up and down to hit jacks. for wristjacking, same motion as drawing a line up and down real fast with a pencil or picking a guitar fast)

along with my last point, every single skill falls back on three points: one hand trilling, jacking, and reading. balancing these three skills is hard but if you practice these and get good at them you can take on anything.

lastly i would say take everything i said with a grain of salt. improvement in this game seems to be completely random based off the person and everything i listed worked for me, but a lot i listed doesnt work for others. try out things i listed and if they work for you, they work for you. if they dont, then dont do them. some points like dont vibro and dont change your setup are pretty concrete though, listen to those.

also i noticed people saying things like you have to look out for doing things wrong when it comes to not hurting yourself. the only pains you should worry about at all are sharp pains. those are bad pains. if you have burning sensation pains in your hands or arms while youre playing (not after), thats good, youre building stamina n shit. if you cant feel your thumbs and or pinkys after a session and a few days after, you probably have carpal tunnel and you should buy some wrist splints and see a doctor or something.

i wrote a lot but im assuming a lot of people will read this and hopefully take the time to think about the points ive listed as they are the core points i follow for improvement at sm. i wrote this all off my head within like 20 minutes so it might be hard to follow and if so too bad deal with it
Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #39
11brendon
Jesus on the dashboard
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

forgot to mention, dont grind files. play them once and be done with it for at least that session. you can try it again next session or after, but grinding files can form habits and bad muscle memory and can really stunt your improvement. always try to play new shit. probably also going to drop more advice in here as i remember shit if i do
Old 03-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #40
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

Personally I'd develop a skill set that you feel like you're REALLY good with then add in things you can improve as you build your skillset

For example my biggest skill sets are accuracy and jumpstreams. I'm not very good at handstreams and I'm okay with speed. So what I do is when I play a session I find a song that I've not played in order to read new and different patterns and to build on my skills.

I would focus on improving jumpstream because MOST songs have some form of jumpstream in them and it's a skillset you'll need if you want to get better at everything else overall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote