Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #2261
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
I'm almost positive it was in the instruction manual for Mario Kart for the SNES, which is how I learned about it.
They might have mentioned slide speed boosts, but I'm confident that they didn't say "hey you can swerve from side to side along a straightaway in order to gain additional speed."

Also: I never played Mario Kart very seriously, so I don't know if I've ever actually done this slide speed boost, although, at the same time, I don't believe I ever had a particularly hard time beating the computer. Does this work automatically or what?

ps I just realized how absurd it would be to swerve using the steering wheel shaped apparatus. It's one thing to move the control stick from side to side to abuse an oversight of an intended feature, but to literally move your hands in the same way you would in a real vehicle... that would be crazy looking.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #2262
ImEric12
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ImEric12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
When you drive over zip patches in the ground, do you speed up in real life? Probably not, because they don't exist, yet you don't seem to have a problem with them being in the game.
Actually, there's a little patch of freeway near my house (I think it's between I-94 and I-75... Chris may have actually seen it before) that has lines on the road that make it look like a zip-booster patch, and I naturally speed up when I drive over it... which probably isn't good considering there's a sharpish turn immediately after.

So there's my relevant comment.
*sinks back into lurking shadows*

ImEric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #2263
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

A video showing gameplay for Mario Kart says that, for whatever reason, you cannot drive bus-driver style. You must drive car-style.

That means you must hold the wheel vertically at all times.

I see less and less use for the Wii Wheel every second.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #2264
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Mal, there's more to this than just 'fantasy worlds should be able to do what they want'.

1) The purpose of the power slide boost was to pop you out of a power slide going the direction you want. The purpose was not to repeatedly go back and forth in order to pull ahead of your opponents. You know how I know? The AI power slides. The AI does not snake. If snaking was an intentional part of the game, you'd think they'd code it into the AI to give them a chance against you. But they didn't. It's not even in the instruction manual!

2) Anyone who's played Mario Kart DS online will tell you what it's like competing against snakers. Basically they get so far ahead of you that you can't even reach them with any items, including blue shells. If the course is pretty small, they will lap you. The point of the game is a go-kart race that uses items and character differences to separate drivers.

3) Anyone who snakes removes the purpose of items and the difference in character speed / acceleration. Power slide boosts keep you at a constant speed which is not based on the top speed of the character you use. Mario Kart uses a 6-star system. 1/5 means you have a low top speed and a high acceleration. 5/1 means you have a high top speed and a low acceleration. 3/3 means you're average. Snaking with a 1/5 character puts you at 5/5. 10 > 6. Thus, this is a break in the system.
1) It's not because something isn't found in the instructions manual, that it's automatically a 'bad' thing to do it. I mean, lots of games have manuals that don't speak of certain techniques, which you have to find out for yourself. Further, I'd like to see you beat the staff ghosts in MKDS without snaking.

2) If you can't beat them, join them. Basically, what you want, is to take out something that requires skill (snaking), and give more weight to pure luck (items). What's the fun if you're obviously the best racer, but get hit by 2000 blue shells just before the finish? At least, when you're both snaking, you know you've been beaten by someone more skilled than you.

3) The max speed also applies to mini boosts. A 1/5 kart will have a slower boost than a 5/5 kart. This is why, on different courses, top MKDS players will use different karts, to have the best handling(and acceleration) vs. speed for that particular course. Otherwise, every world record would have been achieved with Dry Bones + Dry Bomber. But no, people are using the Yoshi Egg, and the Poltergust more and more, even though they have worse handling.
Magewout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #2265
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewout View Post
What's the fun if you're obviously the best racer, but get hit by 2000 blue shells just before the finish?
What's the fun if you're obviously the best racer, but someone snakes the entire race and wins?
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #2266
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post
What's the fun if you're obviously the best racer, but someone snakes the entire race and wins?
Eh? Snaking is about the only thing in MK that requires a decent amount of skill, so how can you call yourself the best racer when you can't defend yourself against a snaker?

Personally, I start regularly, but as soon as I see someone snaking, there's nothing that stops me from doing it as well (and in 90% of the cases, beat him).
Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #2267
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

How can you defend against it?

Items? Sorry. To fast to do that.
Not hitting things? Sorry, he's still faster.
Power slide every corner? He's got you beat.

Oh.. you mean by snaking too. Yeah.

What about those people who suck and don't know how to snake and people snake past them anyway just to win and gloat? Do you call that skill for beating them?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #2268
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah because I see 2,000 blue shells in a single race, let alone a single Cup match.

I think the record for number of times I've seen a blue shell hit me while I was in first place during a 16-race match in Mario Kart: Double Dash was two. And I still won both of those races. The blue shell is also a bomb, so I slowed down to make it hit 2nd place (the AI has that cheap catch-up when you're playing alone) and we both ate it.

You're one of those "items are luck" people. You have no hope. Items are part of Mario Kart, just like they're part of Super Smash Bros. They're not a factor of luck. There's an immense amount of skill involved. If it were luck, you wouldn't have to aim items or even know what they are. You just park your car on a respawning item box and use it over and over again, and you win the race! Right? Just like in Poker where you get dealt two aces every hand. You'll always win! Right?

Snaking doesn't require skill. Snaking requires a huge ego that must always win online games against random people for no reason, even if it means going outside the parameters of the game. Oh, and a thumb with callouses.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #2269
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
How can you defend against it?

Items? Sorry. To fast to do that.
Not hitting things? Sorry, he's still faster.
Power slide every corner? He's got you beat.

Oh.. you mean by snaking too. Yeah.

What about those people who suck and don't know how to snake and people snake past them anyway just to win and gloat? Do you call that skill for beating them?
Those people who suck should practice and get better, otherwise they should get used to losing. And eh, blue shells easily catch up on snakers.

Quote:
Yeah because I see 2,000 blue shells in a single race, let alone a single Cup match.

I think the record for number of times I've seen a blue shell hit me while I was in first place during a 16-race match in Mario Kart: Double Dash was two. And I still won both of those races. The blue shell is also a bomb, so I slowed down to make it hit 2nd place (the AI has that cheap catch-up when you're playing alone) and we both ate it.

You're one of those "items are luck" people. You have no hope. Items are part of Mario Kart, just like they're part of Super Smash Bros. They're not a factor of luck. There's an immense amount of skill involved. If it were luck, you wouldn't have to aim items or even know what they are. You just park your car on a respawning item box and use it over and over again, and you win the race! Right? Just like in Poker where you get dealt two aces every hand. You'll always win! Right?

Snaking doesn't require skill. Snaking requires a huge ego that must always win online games against random people for no reason, even if it means going outside the parameters of the game. Oh, and a thumb with callouses.
It's fair to say that you haven't been in a lot of MK matches then. I've played thousands of games, both online with MKDS, and offline with 1-3 friends, from SMK up to MKDD. Have 1 or 2 friends be in last place, you'll see how many blue shells you'll have to dodge.

Further, of course items are a factor of luck. Because otherwise, every item would be equally strong. 3 red shells >>>>> 1 banana. And the equation you used is eh... bad. Of course you still have to hold the A button to move accellerate, it's still a racer.

Of course snaking requires skill, otherwise everyone would be able to do it, and everyone would be good at it. In fact, PRB snaking in MKDS requires even more skill.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #2270
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
1) It's not because something isn't found in the instructions manual, that it's automatically a 'bad' thing to do it. I mean, lots of games have manuals that don't speak of certain techniques, which you have to find out for yourself. Further, I'd like to see you beat the staff ghosts in MKDS without snaking.
There's an enormous difference between an advanced technique and an abuse of an intended feature.

And the "wah, the game is too hard if we don't have this nonsensical unintended tactic". Remember: if the CPU doesn't do it on the hardest difficulty setting, it almost certainly was not an intended feature.

Quote:
2) If you can't beat them, join them. Basically, what you want, is to take out something that requires skill (snaking), and give more weight to pure luck (items). What's the fun if you're obviously the best racer, but get hit by 2000 blue shells just before the finish? At least, when you're both snaking, you know you've been beaten by someone more skilled than you.
Is there no way to race someone without items? How about this: only play seriously against people you have an agreement with to not touch items. When playing others, take things lightly and don't worry if you get beaten out of pure luck, SINCE ALL THINGS IN LIFE, YOU WILL LOSE OCCASIONALLY JUST DUE TO BEING UNLUCKY.

And who cares if it requires skill WHEN IT MAKES NO SENSE. How would you feel if they made reversing go faster than forward as an intended feature to make recovering from mistakes easier, then other people abused it by reversing through the entire map? Would you really expect the next installment of the game to not do anything about the problem of people abusing it?

Like, ok, it's one thing to embrace the tactic when it's needed just to get by in online play, but to be mad about this problem being fixed is just stupid. It's OBVIOUSLY been proven an unintended feature. I don't care if you think they secretly put it in and didn't mention it in the manual and also didn't program the AI to use it, because guess what. With them officially making it impossible in the Wii game, they're saying in as few words that they had not intended this in the previous games. The same can be said of wave dashing in Melee; unintended feature is proven to be unintended in that it is removed in the most recent version of the game.

Quote:
3) The max speed also applies to mini boosts. A 1/5 kart will have a slower boost than a 5/5 kart. This is why, on different courses, top MKDS players will use different karts, to have the best handling(and acceleration) vs. speed for that particular course. Otherwise, every world record would have been achieved with Dry Bones + Dry Bomber. But no, people are using the Yoshi Egg, and the Poltergust more and more, even though they have worse handling.
How does this matter? The tactic is has been proven to be an exploitation of the game's mechanics by the fact that it has been purposely avoided in the most recent game. Even if you can dispel the idea that it breaks game balance (which you didn't really do, by the way), it's still an unintended tactic that gives an unfair advantage compared to those who don't use it.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #2271
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Those people who suck should practice and get better, otherwise they should get used to losing. And eh, blue shells easily catch up on snakers.

It's fair to say that you haven't been in a lot of MK matches then. I've played thousands of games, both online with MKDS, and offline with 1-3 friends, from SMK up to MKDD. Have 1 or 2 friends be in last place, you'll see how many blue shells you'll have to dodge.

Further, of course items are a factor of luck. Because otherwise, every item would be equally strong. 3 red shells >>>>> 1 banana. And the equation you used is eh... bad. Of course you still have to hold the A button to move accellerate, it's still a racer.

Of course snaking requires skill, otherwise everyone would be able to do it, and everyone would be good at it. In fact, PRB snaking in MKDS requires even more skill.
My friends and I prefer to play grand prix and battle modes. 3-person races suck ass. Especially because I always win races.

Yes, red shells are better than bananas... unless you're in first place. Red shells are meaningless in first place (in Double Dash, at least, since you can't drop reds behind you in Double Dash). In fact, groups of 3 green shells are meaningless too. The only useful item you can get in first place is one green shell and bananas.

Red shells are also meaningless if you're in 2nd place and first place is snaking half the course ahead of you. Bananas help there again. Pop one in the middle of the track and bam! They have to either not snake right there, snake around it and muck with the trick for half a second, or hit it.

Yes, snaking requires "skill". So does racing for real.

You know how proud I felt when I beat Mirror Grand Prix on Double Dash? It was so hard I couldn't even get first on every race with a friend. It's not easy! I bet if I snaked, I'd've won every race. Where's the fun in that? I felt a sense of accomplishment when I won for real. You can't replicate that with snaking.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #2272
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
My friends and I prefer to play grand prix and battle modes. 3-person races suck ass. Especially because I always win races.

Yes, red shells are better than bananas... unless you're in first place. Red shells are meaningless in first place (in Double Dash, at least, since you can't drop reds behind you in Double Dash). In fact, groups of 3 green shells are meaningless too. The only useful item you can get in first place is one green shell and bananas.

Red shells are also meaningless if you're in 2nd place and first place is snaking half the course ahead of you. Bananas help there again. Pop one in the middle of the track and bam! They have to either not snake right there, snake around it and muck with the trick for half a second, or hit it.

Yes, snaking requires "skill". So does racing for real.

You know how proud I felt when I beat Mirror Grand Prix on Double Dash? It was so hard I couldn't even get first on every race with a friend. It's not easy! I bet if I snaked, I'd've won every race. Where's the fun in that? I felt a sense of accomplishment when I won for real. You can't replicate that with snaking.
Afro, I'll reply to you later, don't really ahve the time to type a wall of text right now :P

@Squeek: You're forgetting that 3 shells of any kind in MK64 helps you to protect from items. You can hold 1 shell behind you and keep Z pressed until someone hits it with a red shell, or you could just press Z once, and have 3 shells going around you like a shield. I surely find the latter to be more easy, and it's really a matter of pure luck which one you get.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #2273
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Quote:
Do you call that skill for beating them?
Quote:
Those people who suck should practice and get better, otherwise they should get used to losing.

Is that a yes?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #2274
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Is that a yes?
Kind of. Of course, playing a noob doesn't give much satisfaction, but hey, if they see you do it, they might be encouraged to try and learn the technique as well.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #2275
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Afro, I'll reply to you later, don't really ahve the time to type a wall of text right now :P

@Squeek: You're forgetting that 3 shells of any kind in MK64 helps you to protect from items. You can hold 1 shell behind you and keep Z pressed until someone hits it with a red shell, or you could just press Z once, and have 3 shells going around you like a shield. I surely find the latter to be more easy, and it's really a matter of pure luck which one you get.
It doesn't work 100% of the time. Oh, and they didn't use the 3-shell shield in Double Dash either. Seems like they figured out that mistake too! Only two characters got the chance to have 3-shell combos and they juggled them in their hands while driving.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #2276
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Kind of. Of course, playing a noob doesn't give much satisfaction, but hey, if they see you do it, they might be encouraged to try and learn the technique as well.
Except that they can't now.

Because Nintendo's official stance on the matter is now that it's an unintended exploit of the game's mechanics and has removed it from play in the most recent version.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what you think about it. Heck, it doesn't even matter what I think about it. Nintendo has spoken. You're not supposed to be able to do it; end of story.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #2277
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

HAY GUYS I SNAKE

IS THIS BAD Y/N

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #2278
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Snake is in Brawl now!
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #2279
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcom View Post
Snake is in Brawl now!
Does this mean I can wave dash in Mario Kart Wii then?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #2280
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

After much arguing with Squeek on the matter I finally picked up my Wii with Brawl on Friday and I finally got all the characters unlocked. I'm not going online yet because I am just like that. :P