Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
moches
FFR Player

Default To This Day

as somebody who spent much of elementary and part of middle school marginalized and hurt, I teared up watching this. incredibly visceral video: even if you're not interested in seeing a PSA about bullying and cruelty, I'd suggest watching this just because it's absolutely beautifully made--think slam poetry crossed with Tim Burton's style.

just thought I'd share this with everybody and get some thoughts. has anybody here ever been part of an effort to combat bullying? where do we even begin with a problem this big? does this video resonate with you?
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

Default Re: To This Day

you never really know how bad it was till you look back at it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Pretty damn intense..

the only way I made it past the bullying imo was by luck.
I did have a strong determination to be something great, and I guess that's what kept me going, but there was such a thin line to becoming insane.

Last edited by Frank Munoz; 02-21-2013 at 01:05 AM..
Frank Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I went through mid-school with some struggle like everyone else in his or her own little way. Got over the bullying and name-calling. But it doesn't matter how far in life you are, something else will always compensate for what is no longer a problem.
Bullying becomes stress, name-calling becomes your superior or being the superior yourself. You analyze and become aware of all your flaws and try to correct them one by one, in the end trying to become a "civilized" person; someone to fit in with the masses.
Aren't we ever how we want us to be? Are we cycling through a loop in which we try to adapt ourselves to our environment? Or are we doing this to ourselves?
Perhaps... perhaps we all want to be equally unique.

P.S: Olol I love making these posts at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Xiz
TWG Chaos

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

I cried... holy fuck.

I went from being the bullied kid in elementary school to the popular kid in high-school. I've seen it all. I've lost friends due to sticking up for those being picked on. Only because I know how it feels...

(Moches ~ Great great find. Thank you)

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

Given the replies, I don't think I want to watch this video. All I'll say is that I've long been a victim and only got out as I rolled into university, and that bullying as a whole is one of those traits of the human race that I simply don't understand, and don't even want to understand. Anyone who is going through being bullied (regardless of its severity) has my support.

Unfortuntately it's more or less impossible to combat the issue.

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Izzy
Snek

For some reason I couldn't get emotional about this. I thought it was going to be a funny story and it kind of amused me at first and then it got boring with what I assume was supposed to be empathetic tragedy.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

I was lucky to have been sent to a small private school by my parents. the worst cases of bullying I witnessed were akin to picking on a little brother or sister. physical altercations were essentially nonexistent.

in the (distant) future, I would like to teach at a high school. I hope that I could impart some wisdom on a group of kids and make them think twice about preying upon their peers.

will watch the video and edit in my response when I get the chance.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I was never bullied in school, but I did fight a kid because I saw him bullying someone (I didn't know the kid getting bullied, either)

I guess I'm lucky for always being "popular", but I will never be a bystander.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
For some reason I couldn't get emotional about this. I thought it was going to be a funny story and it kind of amused me at first and then it got boring with what I assume was supposed to be empathetic tragedy.
He's just telling you to be your own moderator of what you choose to believe, when you're called something you don't have to allow it to have validity.

I thought this was very good, put together extremely well, and the speaker has chosen vivid imagery with his words. Excellent and motivating as well.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Kinda this
Not like depression/bullying/judgement/etc is a new thing haha
Respect the good intentions of the vid producer though
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Sweet Angel
\(o.o)/ ~(e.e)~
FFR Veteran

This was very moving... I remember in school I wasn't picked on directly, but kids were always whispering things about me being weird or too quiet, it got to the point where I hated going to class or made up some excuse to miss school all the time. When I did go however, I use to help out other kids that might have been picked on and tried to help make them feel better knowing what they were going through. They were all really nice too. Its a shame some people have to act so harsh, whether it be mental or physical abuse, in the end its all the same :/

8th Official - Top 209th Official - Top 16

Sweet Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
moches
FFR Player

replying to everythin' one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGames View Post
Given the replies, I don't think I want to watch this video. All I'll say is that I've long been a victim and only got out as I rolled into university, and that bullying as a whole is one of those traits of the human race that I simply don't understand, and don't even want to understand. Anyone who is going through being bullied (regardless of its severity) has my support.

Unfortuntately it's more or less impossible to combat the issue.
all the power to you, man.

I think the basic problem stems from a lack of compassion. this is a really interesting story my friend posted a few days ago on Facebook:

Marina Abramović is best known for her performance pieces, in which she tries to explore what is possible for an artist to do in the name of art. Her best known piece was the recent “The Artist Is Present,” in which she sat motionless for 736.5 hours over the course of three months, inviting visitors to sit opposite her and make eye contact for as long as they wanted. So many people began spontaneously crying across from her that blogs and Facebook groups were set up for those people.

Her bravest piece, however, is my favorite. This piece was primarily a trust exercise, in which she told viewers she would not move for six hours no matter what they did to her. She placed 72 objects one could use in pleasing or destructive ways, ranging from flowers and a feather boa to a knife and a loaded pistol, on a table near her and invited the viewers to use them on her however they wanted.

Initially, Abramović said, viewers were peaceful and timid, but it escalated to violence quickly. “The experience I learned was that … if you leave decision to the public, you can be killed… I felt really violated: they cut my clothes, stuck rose thorns in my stomach, one person aimed the gun at my head, and another took it away. It created an aggressive atmosphere. After exactly 6 hours, as planned, I stood up and started walking toward the public. Everyone ran away, escaping an actual confrontation.”

This piece revealed something terrible about humanity, similar to what Philip Zimbardo’s Stanford Prison Experiment or Stanley Milgram’s Obedience Experiment, both of which also proved how readily people will harm one another under unusual circumstances.

This performance showed just how easy it is to dehumanize a person who doesn’t fight back, and is particularly powerful because it defies what we think we know about ourselves. I’m certain the no one reading this believes the people around him/her capable of doing such things to another human being, but this performance proves otherwise.

but from personal experience, getting people to put themselves in your shoes goes a long way. sadly, a lot of teens struggle to find empathy; I find myself being unnecessarily cruel sometimes and I'm trying to change.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
He's just telling you to be your own moderator of what you choose to believe, when you're called something you don't have to allow it to have validity.

I thought this was very good, put together extremely well, and the speaker has chosen vivid imagery with his words. Excellent and motivating as well.
That's the message I got from this, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohaider View Post
Kinda this
Not like depression/bullying/judgement/etc is a new thing haha
Respect the good intentions of the vid producer though
definitely not new, but definitely something we can work to change too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Angel View Post
This was very moving... I remember in school I wasn't picked on directly, but kids were always whispering things about me being weird or too quiet, it got to the point where I hated going to class or made up some excuse to miss school all the time. When I did go however, I use to help out other kids that might have been picked on and tried to help make them feel better knowing what they were going through. They were all really nice too. Its a shame some people have to act so harsh, whether it be mental or physical abuse, in the end its all the same :/
I'm sorry you had to go through that. as a (technical) foreigner living in Korea, I feel similarly sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
you never really know how bad it was till you look back at it.
very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Munoz View Post
Pretty damn intense..

the only way I made it past the bullying imo was by luck.
I did have a string determination to be something great, and I guess that's what kept me going, but there was such a thin line to becoming insane.
awwww <3 I think that's what the video gets at, too. it sucks, but it's okay because we're still here, and that's proof that what people told us we were isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
I went through mid-school with some struggle like everyone else in his or her own little way. Got over the bullying and name-calling. But it doesn't matter how far in life you are, something else will always compensate for what is no longer a problem.
Bullying becomes stress, name-calling becomes your superior or being the superior yourself. You analyze and become aware of all your flaws and try to correct them one by one, in the end trying to become a "civilized" person; someone to fit in with the masses.
Aren't we ever how we want us to be? Are we cycling through a loop in which we try to adapt ourselves to our environment? Or are we doing this to ourselves?
Perhaps... perhaps we all want to be equally unique.

P.S: Olol I love making these posts at times
bullying is a problem at any level. I'd actually say the real problem is the culture of cruelty we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
I cried... holy fuck.

I went from being the bullied kid in elementary school to the popular kid in high-school. I've seen it all. I've lost friends due to sticking up for those being picked on. Only because I know how it feels...

(Moches ~ Great great find. Thank you)
I'm glad to hear that you powered through it (strangely, all of my bullying issues were in elementary/middle, too). it's great that you're sticking up for friends, too. all the power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I was lucky to have been sent to a small private school by my parents. the worst cases of bullying I witnessed were akin to picking on a little brother or sister. physical altercations were essentially nonexistent.

in the (distant) future, I would like to teach at a high school. I hope that I could impart some wisdom on a group of kids and make them think twice about preying upon their peers.

will watch the video and edit in my response when I get the chance.
so inspiring !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
I was never bullied in school, but I did fight a kid because I saw him bullying someone (I didn't know the kid getting bullied, either)

I guess I'm lucky for always being "popular", but I will never be a bystander.
awareness is key in any case
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

What this video briefly brought up was parental bullying as well. The "get over it" bullshit and abuse from parents makes the situation even worse.

I'm able to get along with others, but relating to this video's title: to this day, I have a deep anger towards my family that made me lie to myself and destroy my self esteem. And nobody in my family is going to apologize, and any "compliments" mean essentially nothing at this point considering the damage that's already been done.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 02-20-2013 at 11:09 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I will say this video was deep and I enjoyed watching through it. I don't wish to fully share my life story on here though but it wasn't easy going through school, I'll put it that way.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Izzy not having feelings, what else is new.

I got my fair share of name-calling and whatever else from the kids I grew up with in my neighborhood because I was the little nerd who would rather read a book than go outside and play, but it never really ate me up in all honesty. I would always choose to talk to the adults in the neighborhood rather than the kids and a lot of the shit that was said to me/about me rolled off of me for the most part. I was a confident kid. As it turns out, I was the only one among all those kids I grew up with that even amounted to anything. They've all become losers. Got pregnant or had kids in their late teens, are drug users, work menial and unsatisfying jobs, never left home, etc. Usually the ones who do the bullying and seem like the big shots when we're growing up turn out to be the societal scum when they're older. I don't think it's a coincidence.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

I never got picked on because I was always the class clown/funny one. s:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
Dorby
fake plastic deez
FFR Veteran

Being bullied just made me feel even more strongly about myself and actually boost my self-esteem rather than the opposite. I'm older now and none of that childish stuff has happened in a long time, and I guess I've kinda forgotten all about it. There's just so much more in the world than being a victim and holding on to it... Instead, it's best to help others. We can't rewind, but we also can't just be mad our whole lives just because what happened was unfair. There just comes a time when you have to be like "Wow wtf this is stupid as hell but I really need to just concentrate on myself and focus on my future and making the best out of the cards I've been dealt" I mean, sure it's easier said than done, but a right mindset helps a lot in the path. I've noticed since I'm older that a lot of the bullying that goes on is really just out of jealousy, out of someone who isn't happy who wants to drag everyone else down with them. For you to become depressed yourself is only telling them that they've won. Don't be the loser, don't be the victim... Just keep on doing whatever the hell you want to do. I'd much rather respect the one person being themselves than the thousand people acting like they aren't human and have no personalities because they don't want to be vulnerable... But anyways, I'm sure I'm just rambling now. Hopefully someone out there got some hope out of this.
And so it was, with this thread that, in 2014 Robertsona will be placed in history via the Legendary Thread section. He will be respected as a self-proclaimed master of TGB. A feat so uncared for and ignored that he himself committed suicide in early 2013.
Dorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Very cool, Dorby. Your thoughts are highly relevant to the video and the topic.

That video was produced really well. It's not my favorite kind of anti-bullying message, though. The symptoms of bullying can be serious, and helping past victims cope would be helpful, for sure. However, I think we might be better served by trying to prevent bullying from the get-go.

A lot of what the narrator mentions might be unrelatable to those who haven't had similar experiences. Kids who do the bullying need to be told explicitly and convincingly why making fun of "weird" behavior can permanently damage a victim's psyche. (Just my opinion, of course.)

Anywho, props to all of you who suffered through this type of nonsense and were able to move on. I'd wager that all of you are stronger people than I.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorby View Post
Being bullied just made me feel even more strongly about myself and actually boost my self-esteem rather than the opposite. I'm older now and none of that childish stuff has happened in a long time, and I guess I've kinda forgotten all about it. There's just so much more in the world than being a victim and holding on to it... Instead, it's best to help others. We can't rewind, but we also can't just be mad our whole lives just because what happened was unfair. There just comes a time when you have to be like "Wow wtf this is stupid as hell but I really need to just concentrate on myself and focus on my future and making the best out of the cards I've been dealt" I mean, sure it's easier said than done, but a right mindset helps a lot in the path. I've noticed since I'm older that a lot of the bullying that goes on is really just out of jealousy, out of someone who isn't happy who wants to drag everyone else down with them. For you to become depressed yourself is only telling them that they've won. Don't be the loser, don't be the victim... Just keep on doing whatever the hell you want to do. I'd much rather respect the one person being themselves than the thousand people acting like they aren't human and have no personalities because they don't want to be vulnerable... But anyways, I'm sure I'm just rambling now. Hopefully someone out there got some hope out of this.
coming from the biggest ass this site has ever seen. just saying.