Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Default Torrent's Semi-Daily Music Recommendation Thread!

Long title xd !!

My musical tastes have grown exponentially throughout the ten years or so that I can remember listening to music as heavily as I could. And I thought I'd share my favorite albums with you all. Because, well, I can.

Note: I'm not going to upload anything. Nor am I going to tell you where to get the albums I recommend. I am merely recommending. How you get the music is entirely up to you. I WILL, however, link a youtube video of a track from the album, as a sampler.

ALBUMS OH MAN

10OCT10

Jacaszek - Treny (2008) [Modern Classical/Ambient]
Taniec

This album was recommended to me in a thread over at ODI. Whoever gave me this, thank you so much. This album is amazing. Haunting, yet beautiful. It starts off slowly with "Rytm To Nieśmiertelność I," with psuedo-wind instruments, a mellow harp, and a great violin, building into "Lament" and "Orszula". "Lament" has somewhat of a beat, with a dreary violin and ambient background noises that give it the sadness the title mentions. "Orszula" is very slow-paced and downtempo. Track four, "Żal," incorporates a bit of a beat, like "Lament," but also has some kind of vocals, as well as the ambient sounds that are apparent in every track. "Powoli" builds very well into "Taniec," which in my opinion, is the best song on the entire album. I wish "Taniec" was much longer than the 5 minutes it stands at. Haunting vocals that fade in and fade out, a sharp noise that appears at seemingly random moment, piano, and the same ambience. The next few tracks kind of taper off the peak that occured with "Taniec," finally ending with "Rytm To Nieśmiertelność II," which is noticably more upbeat than the rest of the album. It has also uses more percussion than any other songs, and it wraps this album up nicely.

I would give this album a 9/10.

15OCT10

Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders (2009) [Progressive Metal]
The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing

Now, I'm not one for progressive metal, as most of it is kind of (ok, really) pretentious. But Animals as Leaders created an epic debut album that everyone should listen to, even if you're not one for prog. What makes this album a bit different than your average prog album is the usage of glitched drum loops and heavy usage of changing time signatures. I've linked what I feel is the best song on the album. A lot of the songs have very different feels and emotions attached to them. The Price of Everything has a clean feeling and portrays somewhat of a melancholy emotion, while Throughly at Home is a lot darker toned and hectic, using numerous filters. In the middle of Tempting Time, the first track, there is a section that starts with a breakdown, then goes into a solo, and then something I can't describe at all because it is too bad ass. The last track, Song of Solomon, is a fast-paced, intense ride that leaves you wanting more.

I give this album 8/10.

21OCT10

Tapage - Fallen Clouds (2009) [IDM]
What I Wish Upon None

I found out about Tapage through a netlabel named Fools Forest (which I highly recommend). He did a small release with another ambient artist, and I loved the release. Intrigued, I searched at discogs for anything else that he had released. I have to admit, when I saw that it was IDM and not the dark ambient I was expecting, I was a bit anxious about searching for it. But I did. And I'm really glad now. Fallen Clouds is a great IDM album that I've been listening to nonstop for about a week now. Think a mellow mix between Squarepusher and Xanopticon, riddled with influences from the dark ambient spectrum, and a bit of hip-hopish beats and you'll get Tapage. What I Wish Upon None is definitely one of the best songs on the album, as well as Short Dresses, which is entirely different from What I Wish Upon None but still amazing in it's own right. Note: This was really ****ing hard to find, probably because it's relatively obscure. I won't be uploading, but you can definitely PM me about it *wink wink etc etc*

This is a 9/10.

04NOV10

edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason (2004) [Glitch]
Laundry
This is a simply amazing album. If you've heard of edIT (or Ed Ma), you've most likely seen him in the Glitch Mob. He is indeed a part of the Glitch Mob, and this release, while old and much different than his newer stuff, is a great testament to why he's part of the group. Crazy hip hop beats that flow very well, and glitches that very rarely repeat themselves make for a great album. It starts off strong, and builds up to Twenty Minutes, which is one of the best songs on the release. From there, it goes down in craziness until it hits the last track Mildew, which is a short acoustic guitar piece. Mildew wraps the whole cd together quite nicely, leaving you with a mellowed mood. One of my favorite albums that I have on my computer.

This gets a 9.5/10.

Bring me the Horizon - Count Your Blessings [Metalcore]
Black and Blue
I had heard a bit about BMTH, and I decided to download this album. Not much singing in this one, which is a good thing. When he does sing, or attempt to, it's good in small batches. That aside, this is a pretty cool album. Starts off crazy with Pray for Plagues, followed by another crazy and fast-paced song. It kind of plateaus until it hits (I Used to Make Out With) Medusa, which has a fairly decent guitar solo in the middle of it. After this, it dies down into Fifteen Fathoms, Counting, which is a short ambient-esque song. Finally, it ends with Off to Heezay (lol), which is a long track filled with tempo changes and a bit more instrumental sections. All in all, a very good album with plenty of breakdowns for punching bunnies.

This gets a 8/10.

8NOV10

Motohiro Nakashima - We Hum On The Way Home (2009) [Modern Classical/Folk]
A Few Minutes Before The Dawn
I believe I found out about this dude browsing Youtube, but I never listened to this album in it's entirety. I'm glad I did, this is probably the most emotional album I've listened to in a while. It can be kind of overwhelming at times, but it's generally an amazing album. I absolutely love it and I don't think I would tell anyone to skip any of the tracks. I would, however, recommend that everyone (that downloads the album) listens to "A Few Minutes Before The Dawn" last. It's simply beautiful. I wish I knew how to play an instrument, because I would love to write/compose/play anything with this much emotion. I could just be a sucker for sad sounding music (I was listening to a sad piano piece when I found out my grandmother died, so yes). Definitely check this out.

10 out of a motherfucen 10.

Last edited by AsphyxZero; 11-8-2010 at 11:02 PM..
AsphyxZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Torrent's Semi-Daily Music Recommendation Thread!

Cool idea. Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but any recommendations in the realm of hardcore, post-hardcore, etc.? I'm a huge indie-head myself, but I've been making an effort to branch out in all directions, and it's going quite well thus far.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Got any light UK dubstep? I can only seem to find real heavy ones ):
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

your taste in music isnt all that great considering your song selection for stepping : x
Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
Cool idea. Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but any recommendations in the realm of hardcore, post-hardcore, etc.? I'm a huge indie-head myself, but I've been making an effort to branch out in all directions, and it's going quite well thus far.
Hardcore as in Bring Me The Horizon? Or as in Evil Activities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
I would definitely recommend the UKFDubstep channel on Youtube. That channel is one of the only places I go for my dubstep needs, because it has a ton of great new and upcoming artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
your taste in music isnt all that great considering your song selection for stepping : x
Wait, my taste in music is bad because my song selection for stepping is bad?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
PhaeL v2
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to PhaeL v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphyxZero View Post
Hardcore as in Bring Me The Horizon? Or as in Evil Activities?
I think he's talking about the BMTH-ish bands, since there's no "post-hardcore-techno" thing.

Well, I could give out some recs, but this isn't my thread, lol. Anyway, good idea for a thread, I love to discuss music. To test you: What band can you recommend me that sounds like Menomena?
PhaeL v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Dreddshott
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dreddshott Send a message via MSN to Dreddshott

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8gHtJPQxSQ

Songs like that?
Dreddshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaeL v2 View Post
To test you: What band can you recommend me that sounds like Menomena?
Listening to Wet and Rusting on youtube, they have a Beatles vibe to them when it isn't crazy. Maybe Queens of the Stone Age? I don't listen to much stuff like that haha.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
PhaeL v2
FFR Player

Quote:
Listening to Wet and Rusting on youtube, they have a Beatles vibe to them when it isn't crazy. Maybe Queens of the Stone Age? I don't listen to much stuff like that haha.
Haha, they're really far from QOTSA, seriously. I dl'd the "Friend And Foe" album, which has, aside of Wet and Rusting, a great track named "Weird". The curious, and wonderful, about this band is the kinda offbeat drumming style and the vocals, that's why I wanted some artist that sounds like them.

Oh, and about soft Dubstep, maybe OHN should try Skream and Eskmo.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Listening to a pretty cool IDM album right now. If the whole album is solid, I'll update with it.

@dAnceguy: Bring Me The Horizon, Suicide Silence, TDWP (their new EP is so much better than Branches Below). I would say A Skylit Drive but they're kinda gay.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
PhaeL v2
FFR Player

Quote:
Listening to a pretty cool IDM album right now.
Squarepusher all the way, man. All the way.

Edit: Post-Hardcore = Enter Shikari, Asking Alexandria, Funeral For a Friend...

Last edited by PhaeL v2; 10-18-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Hehe, IDM like this.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
PhaeL v2
FFR Player

Quote:
Hehe, IDM like this.
Damn, Torrent, nice IDM you got there. Seems like a slow Xanopticon for me, haha. Where did you find it?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

everyone should listen to chris clark the dude is crazy **** badass

also torrent i was under the assumption you step what you enjoy listening to
Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

I enjoy listening to a huge amount of music that I would never step.

@phail, I had a free mini album he released under a netlabel. Did a bit of searching, found out that he made IDM, did some hardcore searching, found his stuff.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #16
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Already been through UKFDubstep's channel & the more famous (main) artists..

I need some reallllll underground ones

Although Borgore / Mt Eden and stuff like that is fine too..
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I've heard of most of the bands you guys suggested but haven't really checked them out. I will now though, thanks oh, and I do already listen to Enter Shikari. their new album is so sick imo.

phael: not that pandora's recommendations are flawless, but everyone in their list of similar artists - Radiohead, TV on the Radio, Pixies, Spoon, and RJD2 - is pretty awesome. I've heard a little Menomena and really liked it.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Haven't heard much Radiohead, but I've heard of them. From what I've been told, they're not bad.

@dAnceguy: Also, maybe Attack Attack? Again, this is based purely off of what I've heard lol.

@OneHandNow: I totally forgot about this dude, I have his discog on my computer haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoabV...eature=related
He mostly does dark dnb/darkstep, but he has a few light dubstep tracks.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
PhaeL v2
FFR Player

Quote:
@phail
oh you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
phael: not that pandora's recommendations are flawless, but everyone in their list of similar artists - Radiohead, TV on the Radio, Pixies, Spoon, and RJD2 - is pretty awesome. I've heard a little Menomena and really liked it.

I listened to RJD2 once, pretty decent hip-hop artist. And Menomena is an incredible band, found out about them these days.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Finally updated with that IDM album I found.