Old 10-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #961
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson
Default Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Not a 2019 album, but you need to check out Descartes a Kant - Il Visore Lunatique

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #962
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 636: Sonic Citadel by Lightning Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Day 124: Fantasy Empire by Lightning Bolt

Nice to know that Lightning Bolt still sounds like Lightning Bolt.
The exact same review would apply here, except I want to say that this is hands down the best thing they've done since Hypermagic Mountain. Structurally, prior to the last track and maybe a couple other late ones this is the most pop-oriented they've ever been in terms of songwriting, but also the aggression on display in some of the best tracks here rivals anything else they've put out.

My only complaint is that it's a bit front-loaded, but for a band that's entire gimmick is basically sounding the same every album this is a remarkably engaging, breezy listen for its entire 53 minutes, and y'all know I have self-diagnosed ADD! Hopefully very soon it's legitimately diagnosed.

Best Track: Air Conditioning or Hüsker Dön't
Rating: 9/10

RANDOM EDIT: Music Has The Right To Children autoplayed after this album for some godforsaken reason. Geogaddi will always be better.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 10-16-2019 at 10:27 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #963
rayword45

Day 637: Halve by Hibou (Album Choice: inDheart)

Well, it's really quite same-y, and that honestly felt like a lot more than 40 minutes, probably not helped by the fact that every track's production is just "hey reverb at 11 please".

That being said, it served the purpose I was looking for and it was mostly pleasant. Not complaining but I won't spin this often at all.

Best Track: An Hour Of Vision
Rating: 6.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #964
rayword45

Day 638: Loveworm by Beabadoobee

I first learned of this intriguingly named artist on one of the pretentious hipster Facebook music groups my friends added me to. The discussion was whether or not she was an "industry plant" because of the YouTube recommendations (hoo boy) and it quickly devolved into a shitshow about the term itself and sexism. My take is the concept of an "industry plant" does exist (sorry, but you're not gonna convince me someone like Clairo whose dad orders death squads against his subordinates in Africa trying to unionize, or someone like Nick Kroll who came from billionaire money, or someone like Jaden Smith who (oh come the fuck on) came up "organically") but fuck it, I'm willing to bet over half of the music I end up listening to from last millennium is from "industry plants" and if the music is good, who cares? Also, after doing some reading I'm thoroughly convinced this girl is an actual bona fide indie starter, if not her current "discovery" period. That will have no bearing on my opinion on this music, for which I've heard only an unrelated song from her, that Stephen Malkmus song. I didn't like it or hate it, it was just there. Anyways, enough of me making myself look even dumber, onto the EP review!

Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen

I'm blue Beabadoobee ba daa
Beabadoobee ba daa, Beabadoobee ba daa, Beabadoobee ba daa

I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

Oh yeah the music, it was alright. Quite pretty actually. I don't care if she's an industry plant, I want more. That being said, I can see this style getting annoying pretty fast, so here's to hoping she diversifies her sound a bit.

Best Track: Angel
Rating: 7/10

Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #965
rayword45

Day 639: 2020 by Richard Dawson

Didn't I review this guy a year or two ago? What did I give him? I'm not gonna check again. This sucks. Or at least it's not my cup of tea. I know dude wouldn't give half a shit that I don't like this, and good on him.

Best Track: meh
Rating: 4/10

Old 10-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #966
rayword45

Day 640: ITEKOMA HITS by Otoboke Beaver (Album Choice: Psychotik)

This kind of stuff really isn't my cup of tea usually (fuck Midori, both the band and the liquor), but the energy on display makes this a fun, short listen, though any longer and it would get annoying REAL fast. Performances here are admirable, songwriting is just kinda meh. There's a bit of experimentation here and there but it's either barely noticeable or drags the album down, this is best when it's just straight hardcore punk aggression. Also the mixing sucks. Still, I think it mostly accomplished what it was going for even if it's not really my thing.

Best Track: The first one
Rating: 5.5/10

Old 10-17-2019, 02:10 AM   #967
rayword45

Day 641: replicr, 2019 by 65daysofstatic

I forget once again if I've reviewed these guys before. Let's assume I did and gave them something between 5.5-7 because that's what I always do because these numbers are completely fucking arbitrary. I'm PRETTY sure I reviewed them before.

Oh yeah I guess I reviewed The Fall Of Math and found it meh. Okay well let's hope this is better!

It's, uh, better I guess? Some of these songs are really quite pretty, but mostly I was just bored. I'll give it the RYM equivalent of half a star higher because it's late and I don't give a fat fuck! And I'll return to this later, unless I don't. I want to but I might forget.

Best Track: Five Waves
Rating: 6/10

Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #968
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

lmao yeah that makes sense
i like hibou as music to zone/work to, so i can easily see them not standing up as much when listened to more...intentionally? some word
them being higher energy than other similar genre groups is what draws me, i think

midori is ok liqueur i think but i wish it weren't in the category of "everything you see and do is now green"
although i now have the horrible thought of either just having bols blue and midori in the same room, or using them as art supplies
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #969
rayword45

Day 642: American Football by American Football

This is the third album of theirs I'm listening to, since, y'know, 2019. I'm pretty sure I heard their first album many years ago but I forget what it sounds like or whether or not I liked it, and I couldn't have been assed to listen to this in like, what, half a decade at least? So this is basically a blank slate.

I like some dream pop. I like some math rock (albeit not very much). This... This is just fucking boring TBH. Like, it's competent, but it's painfully uninteresting. A few songs are pretty in parts then they just draaaaaag. Also I have no idea why the Paramore chick is a feature here but lol

Fuck /mu/.

Best Track: Heir Apparent
Rating: 5/10

Old 10-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #970
rayword45

Day 643: Legendary Member by Thaiboy Digital

This isn't bad, kept me interested even if a bit corny feeling pretty often. I hope in the future if random people say I look like some Asian rapper they say this guy instead of fucking Filthy Frank. I look like neither.

Best Track: Kit Kat
Rating: 7/10

Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #971
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

I found American Football LP3 to drag a lot too (a lot of songs just blend into each other, which is usually an issue with dream pop/post-rock like this), but I found Silhouettes and Every Wave to Rise to be two of American Football's best. I personally don't think that LP3 has much math rock to it, at least nowhere as much as you would expect from a band who released LP1 (which was a hallmark for math rock); it felt more like a midwest emo/dream pop affair without the campy feel that made LP1 so relatable to others.

I haven't listened to replicr yet, but the preview sounded like a far stronger release than anything that 65dos has released since One Time For All Time. Not surprised that you didn't like it though

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 10-18-2019 at 07:12 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #972
rayword45

Day 644: As If It Were Forever by Anna Wise

It's good and the features are good too.

Best Track: What's Up With You?
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 10-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #973
rayword45

Day 645: Between Here and You by BT

I listened to This Binary Universe for my 2013 thread. That was good. This isn't as good, it's kinda boring, though some pieces are pretty. Fuck putting effort into this shit.

Best Track: Subroutine

Old 10-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #974
rayword45

Day 646: There Existed An Addiction To Blood by clipping. (Album Choice: my roommate)

Another band that I always associated with memes and have barely listened to outside of a few popular songs on YouTube many years ago.

Why these guys are frequently compared to Death Grips is not apparent to me. Well, no, I get why they're compared considering their more esoteric beat choices, but the delivery and tone of the whole thing is worlds away from MC Ride's shoutiness. This is more in line with the other artist these two get compared to (just guess who that is) but this is definitely more frequently aggressive than his work. This album wasn't bad! The subject matter of most of the songs didn't do all too much for me, but the beats and flow on most of it kept me engaged, and I can appreciate their experimental approach while maintaining a cohesive flow to this thing. I suppose I should check out some of their other work.

Ending with an 18 minute field recording of a burning piano was dumb tho.

Best Track: La Mala Ordina
Rating: 8/10

Old 10-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #975
rayword45

Day 647: 1000 gecs by 100 gecs

It's like if the dudes from BrokenCYDE decided to record an album on MDMA then release it only in a sped-up form.
It's like MySpace culture came back with a vengeance, but this time the self-harm is inflicted on the ears.
It's like a group of white kids decided they wanted to take nightcore versions of trap songs then add more trap and more nightcore to it.
It's like the people behind those stupid Happy Bunny stickers that were popular in 2003 decided to release an album sung by Happy Bunny but they could only afford bootleg AutoTune, ImmediatePitchShift.
It's like a hipster wanted to make something akin to "deconstructed emo nightcore" except nobody gives a fuck about emo nightcore and also he had never used GarageBand before.
It's like if Vocaloid was cringy in a different way that was Ameri-centric instead.
Fuck you PMC.

Best Track: I Need Help Immediately
Rating: 2/10

Old 10-21-2019, 01:30 AM   #976
rayword45

Day 648: The Plugs I Met by Benny The Butcher

This was #2 for best EPs of 2019, and most of the rest of the chart was metal that I didn't want to listen to. I guess I'm biased to hip-hop EPs because I honestly bumped this shit hard, to the point where it fucked up my last half-hour of studies! The two standout features are obvious (Black Thought,Pusha T) but every song here smacks. Yeah, EPs are better than 70 minute albums for sure. Quality control motherfuckers. Fuck you Eminem.

If I don't get help for my broken brain soon I'm gonna lose college. I hate my life. I need to fucking play more dance games and get healthy exercise where is my impulse. And I need therapy. Help me plz college sucks.

Best Track: 18 Wheeler
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #977
rayword45

Day 649: All Mirrors by Angel Olsen

Okay PMC you're not really forgiven for that atrocity yesterday but I can't lie, this is great stuff. Once again, front-loaded, but not a bad song in the bunch.

Best Track: The Title Track and it's actually called All Mirrors but I'm bolding this because I want to

Old 10-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #978
rayword45

Day 650: LφVE & EVφL by Boris

I love it when the title tracks are the worst tracks except goddamnit the first track is the best one here. I found LφVE to be a chore and EVφL to be annoying, but the rest is usual Boris. Lone exception is the first track which is almost dream pop. Anyways, this is average.

Best Track: Away From You

Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #979
rayword45

Day 651: Atonement by Killswitch Engage (Album Choice: Deadlyx39)

Last one was surprisingly decent. This one just half bored me, half gave me a headache. Not revisiting. Sorry.

Best Track: As Sure As The Sun Will Rise
Rating: 4/10

Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #980
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Day 646: There Existed An Addiction To Blood by clipping. (Album Choice: my roommate)

Another band that I always associated with memes and have barely listened to outside of a few popular songs on YouTube many years ago.

Why these guys are frequently compared to Death Grips is not apparent to me. Well, no, I get why they're compared considering their more esoteric beat choices, but the delivery and tone of the whole thing is worlds away from MC Ride's shoutiness. This is more in line with the other artist these two get compared to (just guess who that is) but this is definitely more frequently aggressive than his work. This album wasn't bad! The subject matter of most of the songs didn't do all too much for me, but the beats and flow on most of it kept me engaged, and I can appreciate their experimental approach while maintaining a cohesive flow to this thing. I suppose I should check out some of their other work.

Ending with an 18 minute field recording of a burning piano was dumb tho.

Best Track: La Mala Ordina
piano burning is now the reason why I need to check this out asap
choof is offline   Reply With Quote