Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
Goldenwind
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default osu! - Rhythm Game

A friend introduced me to a new game, "osu!".

Think of it like StepMania, except with clicking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVilEqUbie8

I'm sure many of you have seen a game like this for the DS. I've only done a mild amount of research, but I've been under the impression that this game created the genre.

There are circles you click at the proper timing.
There are scrolls, where you click, and drag your mouse at the proper pace.
There are reversing scrolls, where you do the same as above, then move back (sometimes over and over, depending).
There are spins, where you must move your mouse in a circle a certain number of times. Moving it more spins than needed nets you extra points.

Why I like this game
- The title screen doubles as a music player, playing your songs.
- I never liked combo scoring on FFR, as I don't believe it has anything to do with skill. While osu! uses combo scoring by default, you may choose to compete via accuracy as well.
- Songs are downloaded as a single file, .osz (Osu Zip). To add a new song, all you have to do is double-click the .osz file, or drag/drop it onto an open osu! window. The song will be imported and unpacked automatically, and you don't need to restart the game or do anything special.
- Built-in multiplayer. GOOD multiplayer, too. Room host chooses the song. If you don't have the song picked, the game provides a clickable link for you to download. Download the song, drag/drop onto your window, and you're ready to go. No need to leave the game room, leave multiplayer, or restart the game.
- It has a cute little feature where the song's progress bar is in the title bar for the window.

If this interests anyone, you may check it out here:
http://osu.ppy.sh
(Note: www.osu.ppy.sh is wrong. For some reason, osu replaces www. I don't know why)

Last edited by Goldenwind; 03-12-2011 at 12:07 AM..