Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television

View Poll Results: What is your favorite kind of metal?
Black Metal 5 6.76%
Death Metal 16 21.62%
Thrash Metal 3 4.05%
Speed Metal 9 12.16%
Heavy Metal 9 12.16%
Power Metal 13 17.57%
Stoner Metal 0 0%
Nu Metal 4 5.41%
Metalcore 13 17.57%
Avant-Garde Metal 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #41
ogmsband
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Let's take a Metal Poll...

yea what genre does white chapel fall under?
ogmsband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #42
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Metal-Archives says Death-Metal/Deathcore
Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #43
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

No Progressive Metal on that poll
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #44
TC_llama499
Resident Rock Climber
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TC_llama499 Send a message via MSN to TC_llama499 Send a message via Yahoo to TC_llama499

i cant set my mind to just one of those polls but i guess if i had to pick it would be metalcore.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:41 AM   #45
Go_Oilers_Go
<<Insert Title Here>>
FFR Veteran

I don't even know what half the metal bands I like fall under. I just like metal in general for the most part.
Go_Oilers_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #46
morbidangelsuta666
FFR Player

death metal 4 me... still like almost all metal
morbidangelsuta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #47
dbziscool
FFR Player

A good chunk of the bands I enjoy are Black metal.

Black Metal
Burzum
Nokturnal Mortum
Mayhem
Dark Funeral
Chthonic
Gorgoroth
Emperor

Death metal
Death
Morbid angel
Obituary
Acheron

Thrash
Overkill
Slayer
Testament
Death Angel
Sodom

Power metal
Kamelot
Rhapsody
Blind Gaurdian
Sacred dawn

Prog
Dream theater
Elctrikchair
Mr. Bungle(Softer but oh well.)
Opeth

Grindcore
Anal Blast
Unmercyful
Napalm Death

So I guess most of the music I enjoy is Black Metal.
dbziscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #48
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

dbziscool - Newer Kamelot are starting to display more prog tones alongside their power metal roots.

Also, Mr Bungle isn't really Prog-Metal. They are everything. I mean none of their albums could be called metal. California is calm bit of everything. Disco Volante is messed up avant-garde mixture of everything and their self-titled is crazy avant-garde circus music. Though if you listen to their debut ep "The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny" that's pretty much death-metal (what they started out as).
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #49
dbziscool
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
dbziscool - Newer Kamelot are starting to display more prog tones alongside their power metal roots.

Also, Mr Bungle isn't really Prog-Metal. They are everything. I mean none of their albums could be called metal. California is calm bit of everything. Disco Volante is messed up avant-garde mixture of everything and their self-titled is crazy avant-garde circus music. Though if you listen to their debut ep "The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny" that's pretty much death-metal (what they started out as).
Kamelot is a little more "progy" but at heart they are still power metal. Honestly I won't ever consider them to be prog due to the fact there drummer doesn't seem to know any time signature other than four four.(My opinion)

Bungle is everything there for can be considered a form of metal. Yes, alot of songs are Rock or chaotic but listion to songs like My ass is on fire or most of their first self titled album. The song Travolta though soft can be considered a form of prog metal due to the fact it is slightly to heavy to be considered anything else(Also during the time it was quite heavy even compared to most american mainstream bands at the time. Mr. Bungles later stuff 1995 and beyond is were they started geting weirder. Plus after meeting Mike Patton himself in Beverly hills he himself declared that they were once considered prog metal from the start to 1991. There for they can be considered prog metal.

For example, Testament is very well known as a thrash metal band. How ever There later music is similer to Old school death metal. does this mean they are not considered thrash? Of course not. even Sodom can arguably be considered death metal.

Translation: Due to Bungle being considered Metal at one point in their time, you can consider them as prog metal due to how heavy the self titled album was. Take a listion to track nine. It has plently of thrash elements to it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #50
Verruckter
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbziscool View Post
Kamelot is a little more "progy" but at heart they are still power metal. Honestly I won't ever consider them to be prog due to the fact there drummer doesn't seem to know any time signature other than four four.(My opinion)

Bungle is everything there for can be considered a form of metal. Yes, alot of songs are Rock or chaotic but listion to songs like My ass is on fire or most of their first self titled album. The song Travolta though soft can be considered a form of prog metal due to the fact it is slightly to heavy to be considered anything else(Also during the time it was quite heavy even compared to most american mainstream bands at the time. Mr. Bungles later stuff 1995 and beyond is were they started geting weirder. Plus after meeting Mike Patton himself in Beverly hills he himself declared that they were once considered prog metal from the start to 1991. There for they can be considered prog metal.

For example, Testament is very well known as a thrash metal band. How ever There later music is similer to Old school death metal. does this mean they are not considered thrash? Of course not. even Sodom can arguably be considered death metal.

Translation: Due to Bungle being considered Metal at one point in their time, you can consider them as prog metal due to how heavy the self titled album was. Take a listion to track nine. It has plently of thrash elements to it.
IMO prog is not about time signature but about variety: While all other genres concentrate on a single mood or emotion throughout the song (somestimes two or three, but rarely), prog will incorporate many different styles and genres into its songs. But you knew that already :P
Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #51
dbziscool
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckter View Post
IMO prog is not about time signature but about variety: While all other genres concentrate on a single mood or emotion throughout the song (somestimes two or three, but rarely), prog will incorporate many different styles and genres into its songs. But you knew that already :P
Indeed true. but (opinion) The time signature is what makes a song into experimental prog. Other wise it's mostly just a basic song structure(My opinion). Yes, Kamelot has gotten more progy but they are still power metal regardless.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #52
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Death metal is still supreme over all other genres in my opinion. Exception for Iced Earth.

Epic thread killer
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #53
XxXMetalheadXxX
Lack of faith=disturbing
FFR Veteran

I love every type of metal but metal is metal. So why classify it when you can just bang your head to each one till you puke
Weather the genre sucks or not, It's attracting more metalheads. Hopefully hip-hop/rap will die because I hate it.
That's just my opinion.
-XxXmetalheadXxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
n ordR 2 ayayay song on maniastep you must mov ur fingr tothbeat of song an it recptr clean on ifyou do thgreat then no ayayay 4u
XxXMetalheadXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #54
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXMetalheadXxX View Post
So why classify it when you can just bang your head to each one till you puke
Probably because certain metal was not intended for head-banging. Just a thought though.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #55
XxXMetalheadXxX
Lack of faith=disturbing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
Probably because certain metal was not intended for head-banging. Just a thought though.
That may be true, didn't think about that but I still like every genre of metal. Either way If I like what I'm hearing I'm going to head-bang. I like atleast one band in every genre even if you do consider it a "bad" genre.
-XxXmetalheadXxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
n ordR 2 ayayay song on maniastep you must mov ur fingr tothbeat of song an it recptr clean on ifyou do thgreat then no ayayay 4u

Last edited by XxXMetalheadXxX; 08-13-2008 at 01:24 PM..
XxXMetalheadXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #56
Verruckter
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAiOnEi View Post
Death metal is still supreme over all other genres in my opinion. Exception for Iced Earth.
The only thing death metal excels at it being generic and repetitive.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #57
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Quote:
Right because we all know that most progressive metal and power metal isn't generic...ahem *cough* "Blind Guardian"

Epic thread killer
Old 08-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #58
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE

Quote:
While I actually might agree that death metal has one of the higher sucky bands/good bands ratios compared to other metal genres (obviously excluding -core stuff), I hardly think all death metal is generic or repetitive. Really, when done right, it can be absolutely phenomenal.

That certainly goes without saying, but I bring it up only because frankly I think the gems are common enough to make it worthwhile and be my favorite metal genre as well. I mean, can you tell me something like Altars of Madness or Left Hand Path or practically any Bolt Thrower album aren't just absolutely astounding?

Quote:
Right because we all know that most progressive metal and power metal isn't generic...ahem *cough* "Blind Guardian"
This is true, though I'd hardly use Blind Guardian as an example of a generic band since they're positively brilliant. And again I'd probably agree that death metal has more terrible bands whereas power metal might just be saturated with mediocrity.

Last edited by BluE_MeaniE; 08-13-2008 at 06:46 PM..
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #59
Verruckter
FFR Player

Quote:
I don't see how ANY true prog metal can be generic. It's against the ideology of prog, against its driving force... and Blind Guardian is definitely far from anything generic. Each album is different and varied within it's own content (except maybe the first two, arguably the first four).

It's true though, that power metal has an incredibly amount of generic bands, but I'd say DM has more, because they all try to be brootal and agressive like the early bands but only end up playing the same riff over and over again.

But if you want to start listing generic bands, you'll still be there tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #60
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Quote:
I don't see how ANY true prog metal can be generic. It's against the ideology of prog, against its driving force... and Blind Guardian is definitely far from anything generic. Each album is different and varied within it's own content (except maybe the first two, arguably the first four).

It's true though, that power metal has an incredibly amount of generic bands, but I'd say DM has more, because they all try to be brootal and agressive like the early bands but only end up playing the same riff over and over again.

But if you want to start listing generic bands, you'll still be there tomorrow.
I enjoy death metal more because of an attitude of not having to have a catchy pop to it as otherwise in mainstream music you're always going to have to get. Progressive and power metal always in my opinion tends to stick to a strict code of melody and a catch pop whatever it may be they atleast have either of those things. Death metal on the other hand comes up with more rhythm based riffs and technical drum patterns and usually don't have a melody. In fact it doesn't occur to me that they are generic at all for that one fact. They don't try to sound like anything that would attract mainstream listeners because in all reality it's not for them. Death metal comes from an antisociety way of thinking and it has always been that same mindset today. If you read the lyrics from the songs of the band Death you can see how it relates to my previous sentence. In all matters of opinions we can continue to argue about different genres and how which is better but it's all preference and taste and I like the taste of Death metal.

Epic thread killer