Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL
Default YoshL's Quick "Find Your Offset" Tutorial

YoshL's really quick "how to find your offset guide"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Va0/edit#gid=0
Click the link for a listing of song offsets, and post if you want specific songs added/pm me if you want to contribute

because the tournament is coming up and i feel like a lot of people will benefit from this

For those of you who feel like arrows are coming too soon or too late, or feel like there's some sync issues at hand.
This can be kinda seen when you're playing a file and you have an abnormal Perfect to Amazing ratio (with some random goods/other PA), where it feels abnormally high (for me, when i hit something around 1:2 perfects to amazings ratio, i feel like it's a little necessary to adjust offset).

There's a fairly easy way to fix it. Just remember that you have to have a framerate of (probably) 60 or 120 etc. or something for this to work relatively well. *(unconfirmed)

================================================

Step 1: select a part of the song that's very easy to get good accuracy well, but isn't slow. Usually this is a constant rhythm that you can tap, not single notes with large gaps in between. You don't want hard sections for this

-------------------------------------

I'm going to pick "System Doctor" as an example.
I don't want to select the intro to the song because the notes are spaced way too far apart, and thus will result in you visually watching the arrows to the receptor, rather than relying on rhythmical accuracy.
I don't want to select the ending of the song because there's nasty 32nd bursts that pretty much require mashing, or non-optimal accuracy to hit properly.
I do want to pick some of the 8th note sections that are really easy to hit with good accuracy, thus i'm going to start isolating at note 510 as my section.

Step 2: isolate said part (it's up to you how long you want to hold the section with good accuracy), and concentrate very hard on using only the audio for timing. If need be, try covering up the receptors in order to do this well.

as soon as you're done
with the section, you want to quit out of it. As you can see, I still AAAed the section in question, however the accuracy seems a little bit off.

Step 3: right click the speed mod in order to get the "base offset" as I'll call it

In my case, my accuracy was -.350 ms with a variation of .452 ms in either direction. The "base offset" would be -.350 ms. You can repeat this to get a better understanding of where your hits are centered. Longer sections of file that you hit will result in (probably) a more accurate offset.

From here, you have 2 choices. Usually you would start with Choice 1, but if you find the base offset to be very similar regardless of what you set the global offset to, then probably choice 2 is the backup case.

Choice 1: modify global offset (visual positioning)
if you feel like the notes need to be shifted in respect to the music, in your options menu, go to your global offset, and set the value to the negative sign of your "base offset"

because my "base offset" was -.35, i want .35 as my global offset.

If you already are using a global offset, add the negative base offset to your current global offset.

Choice 2: modify judge offset (judgement positioning)
if you feel like the arrows are perfectly aligned with the receptors, or have been fiddling with global offset without finding any positive effects, then you'll probably have to mess with judge offset.
Simply plug the "base offset" into the judge offset box.

note: only use either choice 1 or choice 2 after a sync test. you can combine the choices, however when applying your base offset that you've found, only apply to 1. (or balance out the offsets, but this is probably not something you need to be worrying about)

and that's pretty much it. Again, i usually default to choice 1 because it just works better for me

and my accuracy skyrockets after fixing offset

please also keep in mind that you'll probably have a general "global offset" that you'll hover around, but many songs are off by like .3 in either direction, some go waaaay beyond and require a little more tuning to get. A lot of the time, the offset delta will be like .1 and fairly negligable, however to more sensitive players it may still be a problem. With FFR's limitations, the need for these offsets arise unfortunately, however this is a workaround that doesn't take too much time, and honestly is 100% worth it in the end in terms of nailing out those extra-tasty scores.

Happy arrow smashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

Last edited by YoshL; 07-11-2016 at 01:25 PM..
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote