Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
demonllama6124
im your grandpa!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to demonllama6124 Send a message via Yahoo to demonllama6124
Default Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33096.html

i dont know if theres a thread about this already or not. looked and didnt see one so here i go.

what do you think? i would personally like to see Venom beat the crap outta Liu Kang
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
OP, WTFBrandon & demonllama6124

Only Men here with Manly Man hairy legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
leonid, please shut the fuck up before I make you.
Help decide which game I should play next. Trying to beat all my games
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...47#post4489647
demonllama6124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe

I think it looks fun, actually. Then again, I'm a fan of the MK series...just look at my username. XD
reptile3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
MystictheHedgehog
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Interesting concept...it could work. I don't know how well though. You are so used to the brutality of a MK game, and now you are throwing in comic characters in which you don't exactly see a lot of blood. I really don't know how well that combination is gonna work out.

It could be good. My guess is that it will flop though
MystictheHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

I've always like Street Fighter more than Mortal Kombat.
I've always like Marvel more than DC.
I'll buy Marvel vs Capcom as soon as I see it.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonllama6124 View Post
i would personally like to see Venom beat the crap outta Liu Kang
Unless there's some ****ty DC character named Venom, then you obviously won't get what you expect.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to scorpio1690 Send a message via MSN to scorpio1690

Hahah. Poor attempt to oppose a decent game - Marvel vs. Capcom. At least in Marvel vs. Capcom there's actual comic book reality. What the hell are SubZero and Kano gonna do to Martian Man Hunter and Super Man? They couldn't possibly have this game make any sense in the comic book realm, which is one of the main reasons MvC is so popular.
scorpio1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

Thread exists already.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=91652
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPolk View Post
That's a jokey thread in the Garbage Bin. This is a for reals thread in GVG. Even before the one in TGB there was one in your secret forum as well, but are you really gonna cite that as an issue for not to make a serious thread about it?

I say, it'll probably be garbage as far as canon is concerned, but probably stand up as a reasonable MK game with a nifty gimmick selection of characters. Even if the gameplay is utter trash, the idea behind it alone is enough to be cool.

Sort of like Alien Vs. Predator. Two good things coming together in a mediocre fashion; it's technically a pretty bad movie, but one simply can't avoid enjoying it at least a little.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

I was just sayin. And I didn't bring up any mention of the secret forum club's version because that'd be silly.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
demonllama6124
im your grandpa!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to demonllama6124 Send a message via Yahoo to demonllama6124

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1690 View Post
They couldn't possibly have this game make any sense in the comic book realm, which is one of the main reasons MvC is so popular.

well if you would have watched the whole entire interview like a good little boy, then you would have heard him say that the realms are gonna merge somehow.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
travman301
#swagdog
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to travman301

I don't see this playing out as a good game.

I wish I could because the concept is pretty cool. I just think that the whole "merger" is going to be too farfetched to believe.

Kind of like trying to tie pokemon and the Power Rangers together in a fighting game. I just can't conceivably see how they could tie the two worlds together and still be believable.

Last edited by travman301; 04-23-2008 at 08:52 AM..
travman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
nestlekwik
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to nestlekwik

I will never understand how the two universes tie together, but if the game plays well, I won't really care at that point.

I'm a big fan of Batman so seeing him pound on Sub-Zero was kind of cool. But, as pointed out earlier, you really have to read up on the game and look at some interviews to understand some of the going-ons. Ed Boon has not yet decided whether or not this title will be Mortal Kombat canon (it will be decided once they begin development on the next true MK), so they could get away with a lot of loose ends if the title is merely deemed as a fantasy crossover.

It can really work and Marvel vs. Street Fighter isn't a proper argument for the combination not making sense as the titles aren't SF canon and the Street Fighters are beefed up to ludicrous power and ability as opposed to how they are in the featured lineage. If the storyline somewhat makes sense and it plays alright, then the crossover is successful. Sometimes you just have to suspend belief to make light of things and enjoy what you are provided with.

I know there are no fatalities, but there are supposed "finishing moves" to execute. And, of course there is blood. How can you not say comics don't have that amount of blood? My goodness, have you ever read a Batman comic book? I remember reading some as a kid and freaking out over how much blood was shown. Batman got his ass handed to him sometimes and he would be drenched in his own blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar
Naruto Vs Math Class. That has got to be the funniest choice you'll ever make in your life dude.
nestlekwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
demonllama6124
im your grandpa!!!
FFR Veteran

remember this also, Bane broke Batmans back in a fight, thus leaving the caped crusader a paraplegic. and Superman was KILLED by Doomsday. That right there shows that the DC Universe has a somewhat dark and demented side.

when i hear more, ill be sure to fill in
Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonllama6124 View Post
remember this also, Bane broke Batmans back in a fight, thus leaving the caped crusader a paraplegic. and Superman was KILLED by Doomsday. That right there shows that the DC Universe has a somewhat dark and demented side.
And then they're miraculously rehabilitated. It happens with all the established super-heroes. The Superman death thing was just a huge publicity stunt. They brought him back to life later.

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esupin View Post
And then they're miraculously rehabilitated. It happens with all the established super-heroes. The Superman death thing was just a huge publicity stunt. They brought him back to life later.
That doesn't matter. The point was that there is heavy violence in the DC comics universe. It doesn't matter if Superman comes back from the dead shortly after that, because prior to his resurrection, he was beaten to a bloody pulp. It doesn't matter that they brought back Jason Todd as the red mask, because Joker still shot and killed him. A revival does not negate a violent death.

And what about Mortal Kombat? They've been pulling each other's hearts out for like 20 years now, and they always come back.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

Rumors of this game being rated T instead of M.
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post
T is still enough to have violence and blood.

M just means that there won't be violent death finishers, and honestly, I don't think I'd like the game if my finisher was to rip Superman's spine out of his body and hold up his head and spinal column triumphantly.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #17
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Batman better be awesome. I use to watch the old show back when I was like 5.

Never did get my hands on the comics, tho. I heard that in 1935 Batman was the first comic to have someone outright die and was deemed an adults comic for a time after that (Use to read up on old strips....I was a small time collector before I found DDR)

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #18
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

So it's going to be a fighting game that steers away from the Mortal Kombat universe of over the top blood, death, and gore (it's main selling point) in an attempt to overthrow the upcoming Street Fighter 4 and Soul Caliber 4?

Unless this is a great gaming nirvana of the fighting genre, it won't sell well. The only reasons I can think it would sell is for fans of Mortal Kombat that need their blood fix.. only to find out they can't actually rip the DC apart.
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
nestlekwik
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to nestlekwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post
Ed Boon confirmed in an interview they were shooting for T. However, he also stated it would be rated in T in the sense that if it pushed the envelope any further, it would be an M-rated title.

You have to realize Midway has to work with DC on this. It isn't a case where Midway throws money at DC and DC Comics lets Midway do whatever they want with its licensing. DC doesn't want to see Superman's arms torn off, Batman's spine ripped out or Aquaman's head explode (well, ok, maybe they do want to see Aquaman's head explode, I know I do), so Midway has to play the appeasement game.

It's just amazing no one sees the Mortal Kombat series as a fighting game but just as a gorefest alone. If you ask me, the fatalities have been cartoony jokes (with a handful being an exception) since Mortal Kombat 3. Really, in Mortal Kombat 3, when you make somebody explode and 7 rib cages, 14 arms, 32 legs and 5 skulls fly around the screen, are you thinking about how gory that was or how stupid it looked? The fatalities became for the most part so lazy and generic, after Mortal Kombat II, I actually stopped caring about killing and paid more attention to the game mechanics and fighting and that made me enjoy the games so much more.

If you want to see a well-produced gorefest, find a way to play Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside (the Sega CD version, not the lame Genesis version). Being impaled actually exits the character's entrails, the blood and gore is excessive but yet still believable and the circus stage overkill is probably the funniest fatality I've ever seen in a game. Not to mention with the Sega CD version you get one extra stage fatality for a total of two per stage, vendettas to off dizzy opponents at 20% or less health or if you're really good at dizzy combos, you can trigger full-motion-video Cinekills. That's not to say there are no lame fatalities in the game, but it's far more impressive than what I've seen in other fighting games:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar
Naruto Vs Math Class. That has got to be the funniest choice you'll ever make in your life dude.

Last edited by nestlekwik; 04-24-2008 at 10:01 AM..
nestlekwik is offline   Reply With Quote