Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #881
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Yeah pretty sure I strained something -- quads sore + left knee occasionally buckling + walking with a limp. XD

next time (ie tomorrow, hopefully, if things feel OK. Will do the arm exercises otherwise)
Sounds like every leg workout for me.

After my leg workout: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qj3lp/

Just rest up, eat good foods and your body will recover stronger than before.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #882
xferrarix
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xferrarix

i still don't realy like to work out, but god dam ive been working my cardio

i'm suppose to be doing a 5k (3 mile) mud obstacle course next saturday. so pumped
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #883
Senip
Forum User

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...93013202_n.jpg
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #884
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Sounds like every leg workout for me.

After my leg workout: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qj3lp/

Just rest up, eat good foods and your body will recover stronger than before.
oh god this

hobbling down the subway staircases clutching the handrail like a baws
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #885
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post

I guess this is what it came down to:

Last edited by Reach; 09-30-2012 at 08:12 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #886
Senip
Forum User

I watched the stream, I think Kai lost it barely even legitimately, Phil has such a strong stage presence and everything flows so well.

He was probably 97% though, needs to come out like he did last year and just blow everyone away next time or Kai might have to win.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #887
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

So today at the gym while practicing form for some stiff-legged deadlifts, a random dude stopped by and offered to help fix things up. Turns out he's the head trainer at the gym. He basically pointed out that due to the fact I've spent so much time at the computer, all my muscles suck (summarization) -- slouchy/forward-drooping shoulders, rounded back (I hunch a lot), elongated upper-back muscles, tight calves, weak lower back, shitty core, etc.

He helped me get the form right but then went on to tell me that the exercises I was doing (esp the squat, although he didn't see me do one -- just told me to raise my arms up and squat. I couldn't really do it since my quads burn with the fury of a thousand suns, but he said he saw all he needed to know from my attempt) might be too advanced for me and that I should start simpler and aim for 12-15 reps instead of the 8-12 range I am aiming for now, doing cable exercises, working with a weighted ball, practicing on machines (even though he dislikes them on principle), etc.

Thoughts on his advice?

Part of me wants to just say "**** that, I'll stick to lifting heavy shit and just work on perfecting the forms," but another part of me thinks, "He's right. All my muscles suck and I need to crawl before I can walk."

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-30-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #888
Senip
Forum User

Weighted balls etc are pretty worthless.

You arent going to get anywhere until you suck it up and get the basics down. Most people recommend that you get a year or two of basics (bench, squats, deadlift, dips, pull ups, etc) before you even think of doing lots of isolation movements.

That's the latest hustle these days, medicine balls, kettlebells, jazzercise or whatever they call it now. If you find any giant dudes, wait until theyre done with their sets then walk over and talk to them. I saw people doing that stuff all the time, and if they didnt quit, they also never got anywhere. It's just another way for them to keep taking your money.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #889
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

congrats on getting in there marcus!! =]

i'm getting my MRI on wednesday. fuuu please be an easy fix.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #890
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Weighted balls etc are pretty worthless.

You arent going to get anywhere until you suck it up and get the basics down. Most people recommend that you get a year or two of basics (bench, squats, deadlift, dips, pull ups, etc) before you even think of doing lots of isolation movements.

That's the latest hustle these days, medicine balls, kettlebells, jazzercise or whatever they call it now. If you find any giant dudes, wait until theyre done with their sets then walk over and talk to them. I saw people doing that stuff all the time, and if they didnt quit, they also never got anywhere. It's just another way for them to keep taking your money.
Yeah, see this is exactly what I was thinking too... which is unfortunate because I dislike feeling so skeptical all the time and questioning people's motives and/or knowledge, primarily when I'm a neophyte to their 14+ years training experience. A lot of what the trainer said was undoubtedly true (my weaknesses) but I don't think this implies his conclusions were necessarily sound. Hard to tell when they are looking out for you or just trying to siphon more money. Doesn't matter either way since even when I get in shape, I'll still be going to the gym, regardless.

Other comments:

Bench Press: Had a hell of a time with this one. Even with the lateral notches and various grips, I couldn't tell if my elbows were correct. Also my palms kept trying to angle up instead of out. Will fix it eventually.

Military Press: How in the **** do you do this one?! No matter how many videos I watched, for some reason I felt like it was scorching my triceps instead of my shoulders.

SLDL: I now dub this one, unofficially, the "pelvic thrust to hump the barbell as you pull up" routine.

Watching more vids tonight
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #891
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
This picture genuinely makes me feel sad. I really respect this dude.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #892
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Yeah, see this is exactly what I was thinking too... which is unfortunate because I dislike feeling so skeptical all the time and questioning people's motives and/or knowledge, primarily when I'm a neophyte to their 14+ years training experience. A lot of what the trainer said was undoubtedly true (my weaknesses) but I don't think this implies his conclusions were necessarily sound. Hard to tell when they are looking out for you or just trying to siphon more money. Doesn't matter either way since even when I get in shape, I'll still be going to the gym, regardless.

Other comments:

Bench Press: Had a hell of a time with this one. Even with the lateral notches and various grips, I couldn't tell if my elbows were correct. Also my palms kept trying to angle up instead of out. Will fix it eventually.

Military Press: How in the **** do you do this one?! No matter how many videos I watched, for some reason I felt like it was scorching my triceps instead of my shoulders.

SLDL: I now dub this one, unofficially, the "pelvic thrust to hump the barbell as you pull up" routine.

Watching more vids tonight
Military Press: I like to put my hands a little wider than where I put em for biceps, that takes a lot of tris out of it. Bench, you want to keep your wrists straight and really grip the hell out of it, that'll help with keeping your hands straight. You want your elbows at like a 45 degree angle or so, that'll put the tris in without making them dominant.
Old 10-1-2012, 12:03 AM   #893
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Better view of my chest growth. This is cold as well, first thing in the morning. My delts are round as hell too.
Old 10-2-2012, 10:41 AM   #894
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quads finally easing up a bit. Yesterday I could barely walk. Today, the pain is still there but at least it isn't crippling.
Old 10-2-2012, 11:26 AM   #895
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Quads finally easing up a bit. Yesterday I could barely walk. Today, the pain is still there but at least it isn't crippling.
One of the best things you can do is invest in a foam roller. They're usually like 15 bucks or something and they're amazing for muscle soreness. They'll break up scar tissue and can help (maybe) with building muscle, because it helps stretch everything out. It hurts but its worth it.
Old 10-2-2012, 11:41 AM   #896
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

i wish i was on the east coast so i could go to the gym with rubix. nothing more motivating than pushing someone thats pushing you
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2012, 02:26 PM   #897
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

thats what i said, but he lives in the damn city.
Old 10-2-2012, 02:28 PM   #898
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
One of the best things you can do is invest in a foam roller. They're usually like 15 bucks or something and they're amazing for muscle soreness. They'll break up scar tissue and can help (maybe) with building muscle, because it helps stretch everything out. It hurts but its worth it.
Are all of them built equal, more or less, or are there any specific kind worth getting? I looked around at other forums where people had quad damage (LOL) after their first squat session and almost everyone mentioned that it'd be worth looking into rollers, too.
Old 10-2-2012, 02:31 PM   #899
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

i dont remember my legs hurting that much after squats in volleyball. burpees i think we called them. i know they aren't weighted, but you still need to thrust your body in the air. several times.
Old 10-2-2012, 02:34 PM   #900
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The bar by itself is 45 pounds or so