Old 01-4-2009, 09:57 AM   #41
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians
Default Re: Logical Fallacy and You!

Thank you so much for this. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be quoting this. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Cum Hoc ergo Propter Hoc or Correlation implies Causation - This fallacy is where you conclude that because two events simultaneously, that the two events are necessarily related. Example: When I sneezed, the power went out, therefore my sneeze caused a power outage.
Do you mean occur simultaneously?

Edit: Ohcrap. I just fed a bump. Mahbad :<

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #42
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

I know this a long bump, but I want to point something out.

Quote:
Bear in mind that every sample is biased in some small way, and the biased sample fallacy is only a fallacy if you fail to point out any potential biases when presenting your data.
So are you saying that if I give a completely biased survey (ex. according to a group of marijuana users, 100% admit to smoking marijuana), as long as I mention the bias, it's no longer a fallacy? I don't understand this.
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 AM   #43
Seefu Sefirosu
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Seefu Sefirosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
I know this a long bump, but I want to point something out.

So are you saying that if I give a completely biased survey (ex. according to a group of marijuana users, 100% admit to smoking marijuana), as long as I mention the bias, it's no longer a fallacy? I don't understand this.
Okay: Let's say I say, "After taking a poll of 1038 citizens over the age of 18, 100% admitted to smoking marijuana", and then use said poll to say everyone smokes pot.

That's a fallacy.

Now, change "citizens" to "marijuana users".

Instead of a fallacy, it's now just a plain wrong conclusion.
Seefu Sefirosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2011, 03:17 PM   #44
God Dethroned
FFR Player

I did not read all the posts so forgive me if there is any repitition.

I feel as though the impression that this thread has created is that fallacies cause an argument to be invalid, which is not the case. Maybe it would benefit the discussion if the concepts of validity and truth were explained along with the levels of "goodness" of an argument (validity, consistancy, sound, good). I am assuming that my terms will be wrong, but hopefully everyone understands what I am saying.

An argument can be valid but have a false conclusion.
An argument can be sound and contain a fallacy.
-----These are the types of concepts I think should be explained in the thread before going into deep discussion on the effects of logical fallacies.

Also, I know there are different ways to pick fallacies out of an argument, but I could not explain them myself. The three ways I can think of off the top of my head are counterexamples, recognizing faulty structure in arguments, and some sort of 'logical tree'. If someone could explain the 'logical tree' (If anybody knows what I am talking about), I would love to learn how to use it.

side notes:
When it comes to God, aliens, and many other topics, there is still the fallacy of proving non-existence.

I did not look closely at the list of fallacies, but I do not think I saw circular reasoning.

Would anybody like to discuss the argument "I think, therefore I am"?
God Dethroned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2011, 03:46 PM   #45
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
I feel as though the impression that this thread has created is that fallacies cause an argument to be invalid, which is not the case. Maybe it would benefit the discussion if the concepts of validity and truth were explained along with the levels of "goodness" of an argument (validity, consistancy, sound, good). I am assuming that my terms will be wrong, but hopefully everyone understands what I am saying.
The intention of the thread is within the context of "A valid argument" for the purposes of this flash rhythm game's critical thinking subforum full of highschoolers, and isn't really intended to get into the depths of formal or symbolic logic, etc.

Yes, an argument can be semantically valid and have an invalid conclusion. Yes an otherwise sound argument can have one or more fallacies present, and the intention here was never to suggest that those things are not true.

The purpose of this sticky is simply to say "Here are some of the things you can do, thinking they are okay, but which aren't, and detract from whatever point you're trying to make" for the sole purpose of avoiding those things wherever possible in what is pretty much a completely informal discussion group.

Quote:
I did not look closely at the list of fallacies, but I do not think I saw circular reasoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The sticky
Petitio Principii or Begging the question - This is a common fallacy wherein your evidence in support of an argument presupposed that you have already accepted the argument, or requires that you have. Example: The case example of begging the question is arguing the validity of the bible using evidence contained within the bible. In order for the evidence to be acceptable, you have to have already concluded that the bible is valid.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2011, 04:22 PM   #46
God Dethroned
FFR Player

I absolutely agree with everything you just posted.

Unfortunately, I am not blessed with writing ability, especially when it comes to thought organization.

I was just trying to spark responses that provide information that I would find interesting. (I feel that I can get a better understanding of certain topics if different people explain them)

Forgetting everything that I previously posted, I do still feel that distinguishing truth from validity would benefit readers. (I've seen mutliple posts, even outside this thread, where these have been mixed up)

----Thanks for reading and responding to my post
God Dethroned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2011, 04:31 PM   #47
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Well if you assume that since we're pretty much always discussing actual events, or actual concepts, and formulating our opinions on them, if you simply assume that for the purposes of this forum, something is valid insofar as it is true, that will pretty much cover it.

I'm sure people could put forward some false but semantically valid arguments in our discussions, but nobody ever does, since we're typically presenting our own personal opinions on subjects.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2011, 09:49 PM   #48
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I think you should add in the appeal to motive (a type of ad hominem circumstantial) just because it is ludicrously common. In fact, I think it may be even more common than the insult-style ad hominem that's written in guides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #49
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

I remember this thread lol @ me 3.5 years ago.

Also a list of fallacies is really not very helpful in improving people's thinking and understanding because it doesn't serve to make a person more rational it just gives them ammunition for Fully General Counterarguments So I Don't Have To Read What You Said (tm)

Same goes for a list of biases.

You should probably just list the sequences page from lesswrong because they give better context and understanding of these issues: http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Sequences
Old 02-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
I remember this thread lol @ me 3.5 years ago.

Also a list of fallacies is really not very helpful in improving people's thinking and understanding because it doesn't serve to make a person more rational it just gives them ammunition for Fully General Counterarguments So I Don't Have To Read What You Said (tm)

Same goes for a list of biases.

You should probably just list the sequences page from lesswrong because they give better context and understanding of these issues: http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Sequences
A list of fallacies is good. It is always nice to reply to a post by noticing that the person before you has used a logical fallacy and then posting a link to this thread.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #51
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
A list of fallacies is good. It is always nice to reply to a post by noticing that the person before you has used a logical fallacy and then posting a link to this thread.
This is exactly what a Fully General Counterargument So I Don't Have To Read What You Said (tm) is.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #52
prodigy06
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to prodigy06

I was very tickled with reading through this thread. These are discussions I strive for in a forum with a great member base. I miss discussions that don't simply break out into internet yelling matches. As of late, all the forums or news threads I see are just about ad hominems and hatred of everything. Disgusting.
prodigy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #53
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

Quote:
all the forums or news threads I see are just about ad hominems and hatred of everything. Disgusting.
Front attack = Human's primary defense system.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #54
prodigy06
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to prodigy06

Notice I was referring to my opinion of forums I've visited that I see people just starting violent arguements. I'm not telling anyone that is how everything is. It is simply my opinion that all my favorite regular spots to read news and such have just turned into childish never ending arguements. It's really silly to ME, how I see no civility in internet conversation. Like for instance, Youtube. It seems as if people only comment to troll. I'm sure people can agree with this. It's just ridiculous. To ME.
prodigy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #55
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
I think you should add in the appeal to motive (a type of ad hominem circumstantial) just because it is ludicrously common. In fact, I think it may be even more common than the insult-style ad hominem that's written in guides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive
Posted almost a year ago, and it is technically a subset of the ad hominem (note the disclaimer at the bottom of the OP), but I agree that it is encountered frequently enough to warrant special mention. One example of this arose during the "Eternal Second" game between U-M and MSU a few years back, when MSU was able to run in the winning touchdown because the clock operator, who was wearing an MSU hat, stopped the clock with one second to go when he shouldn't have. Cue speculation about the clock operator throwing the game in favor of his beloved Spartans.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2013, 10:32 AM   #56
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Needed bump because I found this GEM today.

https://bookofbadarguments.com/?view=allpages

Useful definitions of things like the difference between a valid and a sound argument, as well as charming illustrations of each fallacy at work.
Old 10-8-2013, 01:03 PM   #57
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

That was a very refreshing read, thank you

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #58
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Ooh! Got a new logical fallacy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_lapidem
Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #59
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Playing devils advocate, I think that the person making such a ridiculous claim in the first place should attempt to formulate their argument such that the ending conclusion doesn't seem as ridiculous. For example, the claim that "1+2+3+4+...=-1/12" sounds incredibly absurd without any other context. However, properly taking the steps necessary to build up to a such a conclusion can make the statement of the conclusion seem not as far-fetched.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-1-2014, 04:37 AM   #60
gopkrtindd
Banned

Nice it would be good. that's nice and informative about Logical Fallacy and You.
gopkrtindd is offline   Reply With Quote