Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 05-8-2012, 12:52 PM   #21
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

"What you may not be is prepared, confident, or willing to fail."

Take a long think about what playtrumpet says.

My own 2 cents:
-No matter what you do, you will fail at some point. You can get a job being a garbage collector and still screw up. You can't just drop to an easier job everytime your mistakes make you feel bad.
-You say that your boss is the only person who would hire you. Pretending it's even true, (which is doubtful), put that statement into perspective. Do you know how many people go unhired? You don't even have your diploma yet and you've got a job! That's pretty damned good, especially these days. They hired you for a reason.
-You're at the beginning of a career, and you've made a ton of mistakes. Just think about how much you've learned from them already.
-There's a reason people don't like to hire people without experience...they ALL make dumb mistakes. For some jobs, experience means more than a degree. The learning curve can be really steep. Don't think that just because you're not getting it right now that in 5 years you still won't be good. It sounds to me like you haven't given this career path enough of a chance to know if you could be good or not.
-You sound like you have confidence issues. yeah yeah, I'm basing this off of a few paragraphs of text, but it's not just you. Why do you think your family thinks you're smart enough if you aren't actually smart enough? Statements like 'I make my boss unhappy' are so blase and are, like, stereotypical of someone who has no self-esteem. It doesn't even make sense. You don't have to 'make your boss happy'...you sound like you're failing a friendship with them or something. You're there to do a job, not make them happy. Have you considered that your boss is a perfectionist and tends to be unhappy most of the time? Maybe they're just a grump.
-Also the possibility that your boss isn't all that good. When I was a research assistant, the prof I worked for was super sensitive about some things, and he'd change his mind often, making headaches for people. Importantly, he wasn't always right.
In your case your mistakes might be easily avoided if your boss prepared you enough for them, acted more like a mentor or something, because you ARE new.

Consider yourself warned if you drop down to an easier career and you still find that you're ****ing up :-p
I will, however, concede that perhaps you don't have what it takes to do this job. I'm quite doubtful that intelligence is what you're lacking right now though, rather that confidence and a good self-image and the ability to pick yourself up and keep on going is what you need. Things which will give you problems in any job, might I add.

Last edited by Cavernio; 05-8-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

I've read all of your posts and your comforting and assurances help a lot (:

I've thought for some time and realized after your guys's posts that I'm being illogical. I'm gonna stick with my paralegal career and for now just try to find a new employer. I guess I just feel dumb because I wasn't really taught too many "paralegal tasks" in the year I worked for my current employer. I'm okay with learning on my own and such, but there's too much she's assigning me to learning on my own, and she's unwilling (obviously) to teach me it. Now the next step is to work on my confidence...I hope my self-esteem and such rises with a new employer. I think my current one is doing more harm than good.

All of your posts helped so much guys ^_^ Without this I would've been looking in the wrong areas of work during my 2 weeks off. Hopefully I find somewhere new. You guys are (as I've said before) amazing <3 <3 thank you!
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Glad you're feeling better about it. Don't feel dumb about questioning either; it's hard to really know what one's own limitations are sometimes.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
Just do what you want lol. Quit makin yaself miserable
Best post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote