Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #1861
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Diablo 3

Everyone wants the gear, that is the point of the game.

The problem is, once you have the gear you realize how shallow everything really is and quickly become bored. Without that itch, the "one evasive piece that everyone else seems to find" you don't really have anything to look forward to. Lets say you trade for it, then what. You can do all the same things you did without it, but the monsters have a bigger number over their head. Maybe it changes your rotation, and you class becomes interesting again... for about 2 days. Oh, but then you also get that 10% higher chance on the lotto ticket for getting the same piece with better stats.

I don't think the game needs more ways to finish the gear grind, it needs more things to make that gear grind more rewarding. Tiered rifts are a step in the right direction, but there definitely needs to be more.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #1862
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

is it bad that i just want ladders to come out so i can actually feel like i'm working towards something

you know like..

runewords.. rewards from ladder.. grumble grumble
L.B.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #1863
ffr212
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing but I love this game, few questions for "teh proz."

- At what paragon levels should I start raising my torment?
I'm on T1 (42) but couldn't get any better stuff to drop so I bumped it up to T2...It just took me ages to kill Urz. [pic below]

- Is there a greater gear-level-whatnot to get after T1 level 70 stuff?
Being a wee babby WoW player I'm used to seeing like "ilvl ???" so I know gear is substantially better without looking at stats, tis different in Diablo.

::I've been not worrying about specifically stacking things on my wizard for different builds yet i.e Archon, Frost Orb, etc. because I still feel like I should be getting better gear. The only solution I could come up with is that my paragon level is much to low to have any significance in upper tier Torment levels yet.

Here is my Jizzard, keep in mind what I said, I thought any gear that I had would be temporary so none of this is going towards an actual build yet.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/D.../hero/42246119
ffr212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #1864
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

there are no higher ones after level 70 torment, but basically your ability to handle torments will skyrocket with more legendaries

basically all you can do at the moment is do things like

a1 normal bounty farming
rift it forward runs (from the keys you've gotten from a1)
and just t1 rifting as well

for now think about running t1 fast instead of raising torment

wizards tend to have a high powerspike that flattens out near t4-t5 (wizards are hard to t6 with, at least solo that is)

but wizards are also the most versatile in terms of builds

so do a1 split normal bounty farming + t1 rifting for now
Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #1865
ffr212
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.D.D View Post
there are no higher ones after level 70 torment, but basically your ability to handle torments will skyrocket with more legendaries

basically all you can do at the moment is do things like

a1 normal bounty farming
rift it forward runs (from the keys you've gotten from a1)
and just t1 rifting as well

for now think about running t1 fast instead of raising torment

wizards tend to have a high powerspike that flattens out near t4-t5 (wizards are hard to t6 with, at least solo that is)

but wizards are also the most versatile in terms of builds

so do a1 split normal bounty farming + t1 rifting for now
Alright sweet I'll give it a shot, I heard about that Rift it Forward thing but kept forgetting to try it. Probably will try
once the servers come back up after my Ordos kill n' V-Cap.
Much excite.
ffr212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #1866
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Paragon level doesn't matter much. It's mostly your gear. Paragons add up over the 100s but it's not ultra important.

I recommend working towards either an arcane, fire or cold specific build, since those are the elements that work best on wizard right now.

I wouldn't play any higher than T1 for awhile though based on your gear. It's more important to farm efficiently than to slowly grind through enemies that have too much HP for your DPS.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #1867
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Also maybe use your other 3 ability slots? That might help you. :P

Edit: Yes I know. Don't worry.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #1868
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Especially if you're doing rifts, play on the highest torment where you can kill efficiently and not die. The stacking legendary drop rate bonus multiplied by the 100% from rifts really stacks up.

its easier when you run with people you know and can rely on then some randoms from rift it forward. If you have friends who play try getting everyone together in a rift run and take turns opening, or find a good clan/community. There are people who run class-specific groups to maximize the chances of finding relevant gear, and they'll give you extra set pieces in return for any legendaries you won't use. I would avoid public groups as people even less geared then you feel they should be carried through T3-T6 and it creates a really toxic environment to play in.

Kill speed is important, but a higher torment will gear and level you faster if you can manage it. Always play with a full party if you can help it. Paragon level eventually makes a huge difference, the more gear you have, the less impact finding better gear will have on your character.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #1869
hi19hi19
lol happy

As you start to gear, I find it really beneficial to have an goal in mind.
Use your temporary gear to play around with skills, see which ones you find fun, and stick to them. The nice thing is that almost every single skill has a viable build that uses it, so the key is to play something you enjoy.

THAT SAID:
If you're a wizard, there's no debate: you have to go fire if you want optimum efficiency.
The main culprit is Cindercoat, it's such a broken legendary that every single optimum efficiency build has to use it, which means you have to be fire.
This is further exacerbated by the fact the Wizard's class-specific legendary set is fire-focused.

Fire builds are pretty varied, thankfully. The most common spenders are Heat Wave rune for Wave of Force (with Cindercoat it's almost free to cast after factoring in APoC and passive AP regen rofl) or Meteor. You can also do Explosive Blast builds with Wand of Woh, and Hydra builds with the Serpent's Sparker wand.

If you're not interested in super efficiency, there's a ton of fun builds.
Arcane usually focuses on Disintegrate or Arcane Torrent with Archon. Explosive Blast builds with Wand of Woh can also be arcane.
Frost uses Frozen Orb or Ray of Frost (with the peircing Ray of Frost legendary offhand), though sadly damaging frost spells are somewhat limited in selection.
Lightning is also pretty low damage, relatively speaking, but has nice utility with the Paralyze passive or the Wyrdward ring. You can very nearly stunlock things with quite average gear. These builds usually use Electrocute with some lightning spender like Lightning Bind Meteor.

There's also some mixed damage builds that are more support-y via using the Elemental Exposure passive. These are usually lower damage because you forgo stacking elemental damage (currently the most efficient to stack along with crit chance/crit damage) but they can be really good too, especially in groups. These builds really compete with pure elemental builds when you finish Tal Rasha's set for maximum set bonus procs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffr212 View Post
- Is there a greater gear-level-whatnot to get after T1 level 70 stuff?
Being a wee babby WoW player I'm used to seeing like "ilvl ???" so I know gear is substantially better without looking at stats, tis different in Diablo.
Actually, gear is completely independent of difficulty, it only depends on your level. As long as you are lvl 70, you can get a fully best in slot gear set playing only normal, in theory. In practice, it would take forever. (before someone complains, yeah there's exceptions to this like the Torment-only class sets. I'm trying to make a point :P)
Difficulty only influences the frequency at which legendaries drop, not how good they are.

There are ilvls in Diablo 3, and if you get into the nitty-gritty of how item stats are rolled the ilvl actually does make a difference, but thankfully ilvls in Diablo 3 are much less strict than in WoW. You really have to compare stats and understand which item is better for your build, because it's not always the one with the bigger numbers.
Also don't fall into the trap of just stacking as high sheet damage and sheet toughness as possible. A lot of things that are really good (elemental damage, skill damage) are not reflected in sheet dps, and toughness stacking usually means you wind up with a ton of health and little mitigation, making your non-percent-based skills and stats like life on hit or diamond skin nearly worthless.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 04-29-2014 at 01:15 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #1870
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Follower legendaries, and bottomless potions are also T1+ Only.

Gotta get dat kulle-aid.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #1871
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Still bad. Only running these to gold farm actually.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 04-29-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #1872
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

grats bby
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #1873
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Fastest way to farm mats for Aughild's / Crimson and Born's sets?

One more piece of Vyrs and a good leg amulet and I'm basically complete for archon build, since I recently picked up some near max roll items for this build (weap, offhand, SoJ)

So I want to start collecting some of these now so they're ready to go.

I'm thinking optimally though it's better to just Aughild and Crimson without the born set, losing some CDR but hitting a lot harder.

Last edited by Reach; 04-30-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #1874
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Also don't fall into the trap of just stacking as high sheet damage and sheet toughness as possible. A lot of things that are really good (elemental damage, skill damage) are not reflected in sheet dps
are you telling me nearly 15 years after diablo 2 was released the franchise still has lying character sheets
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #1875
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

RIP SteveDoocy, level 24 wizard

I stuck a flawless royal ruby in a level 20 weapon and went around one-shotting everything. Unfortunately, I one-shot four jailer abominations right as they jailed me and the resulting simultaneous corpse explosions immediately murdered me

definitely one of my favorite deaths
Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #1876
NekoGon
щ(゚Д゚щ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to NekoGon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Fastest way to farm mats for Aughild's / Crimson and Born's sets?

One more piece of Vyrs and a good leg amulet and I'm basically complete for archon build, since I recently picked up some near max roll items for this build (weap, offhand, SoJ)

So I want to start collecting some of these now so they're ready to go.

I'm thinking optimally though it's better to just Aughild and Crimson without the born set, losing some CDR but hitting a lot harder.
For Aughild's go for Fecklar's Ghost (Festering Woods), Matriarch Bones (Crypts) bounty in Act 1. There's another bounty in festering woods but I forgot the name.. just make sure it's a ghost unique and it'll drop.

Born's set Digger o' Dell, Dataminer bounty in Act 1 .. also look out for miner unique that occasionally spawns east from the waypoint (usually it's an elite though). Much less common than Aughild's so i recommend getting another friend or 2 to remake games separately until the bounty shows up, and then join the game (or friend(s) joins yours if you get the bounty). You can find the uniques without the bounty but it's a real pain without the quest pointer...

NekoGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #1877
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
are you telling me nearly 15 years after diablo 2 was released the franchise still has lying character sheets
shocking, I know

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2014, 04:52 AM   #1878
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

world top 10 barb elemental DPS, here we come

Old 05-3-2014, 07:48 AM   #1879
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

How long have you been farming Act III Ghom Torment 5...lmao

My fire wiz is getting close to complete. Desperately waiting on a fire SoJ and a better fire amulet and a witching hour. Otherwise, I have most of the pieces I want. Kadala refuses to drop a witching hour though despite how many shards I've dropped on belts >_>

Could go for a burning axe with a nice roll though. I've gotten three of them at this point and all of them have been god awful rolls.
Old 05-3-2014, 08:13 AM   #1880
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

damn, soj + witching fire is what i need as well

those babies just refuse to drop from kadala