Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
rajdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Question MSG

The food additive MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate) is a slow poison.
MSG hides behind 25 or more names, such as "Natural Flavoring."

http://www.actionagainstpoisoning.co...glutamate.html

Discuss?

This is scary stuff, and i agree, we must do something about it.

Last edited by rajdaddy; 08-11-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Saik0Shinigami
FFR Player

Default Re: MSG

"Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity"

Nothing is a single cause of obesity. Therefore this whole article is garbage.
Until there is a way to truly single out every individual cause and test them extensively they can't say whether MSG has a little or big effect.

This is just another case of OMFGWTFBBQ Teh world is ending we're all going to die. (I believe it's called hype)
I think it's been common knowledge to EVERYONE for a really long time that MC d's, BK, etc... isn't healthy. Eating fast food every day of course is going to be detrimental to your health. But I seriously doubt the MSG will kill you without literally eating a pound of it a day.

Last edited by Saik0Shinigami; 08-11-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Fix font.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
StyleKrong
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to StyleKrong

I agree, that is kinda scary, but there are all kinds of hidden factors like these in other things besides food. It's sort of hard to act upon discoveries like these when the contents (MSG in this circumstance) are so widely used in a variety of food products. Raising an issue about it would certainly be a good step, but... I think change is a long way off.

It's quite a broad issue. The problem with many of these chemicals is that people up until now haven't even realized the dangers of them until recently, so you can't really pin the blame on the food manufactures. I remember a similar story like this regarding trans-fats was all the rage around last year, and companies did their best to remove them from their foods.

Anyways, best not to worry about it too much while the change is happening... just exercise well and try to avoid MSG where you can, but I agree, people should have the right to know what dangers potentially lurk in the food they consume on a day to day basis, and once a problem like this is discovered, it should be the responsibility of food companies to correct the problem as soon as possible.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
rajdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

XD

This was a test, and you passed.
This part of the forums is defiantly my place, expect a plethora of threads in this section from me.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
clarinet89
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to clarinet89 Send a message via MSN to clarinet89

Here's my issue with this. In my opinion, the author does not cite his information enough and a lot of it also can be seen as propaganda if it is not backed up with sources.

However, I do not doubt the severity of the additives to the food. It would seems to me that the knowledge of food additives and such put into many of the pre-packaged and processed foods is also fairly widespread. Many health experts suggest that people shop "around the perimeter of the store," (here, here and here are just a few) only buying fresh meats, fruits and vegetables. That seems to me to be the only way to know for certain that MSG and other additives (not including growth hormones, herbicides and pesticides) have not been added. Of course that's not the only way to avoid MSGs, but it would be effective.

There is something that Americans can do to fix this. They can avoid eating it themselves and raise awareness of it.

EDIT: oh well maybe I shouldn't take so long in writing my replies. if I had known this was a test, i would have probably answered differently, knowing that you saw the errors in the article.

Questionable Content

Last edited by clarinet89; 08-11-2009 at 07:28 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

MSG stands for Makes Stuff Good, I will not have people coming into THIS forum, and badmouthing such a wonderful wonderful additive.
Closed Thread