Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 10-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #21
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Trump Administration Is Trying to Get Rid of People Who Are Transgender :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
how big a chance is this "usually"
how many people with gender issues are gauvedoches or any other grey-area-gender?
sure there is a possibility for this to happen, but how big is this chance
This.

Nothing against trans from me. That post dev linked is just something I could make up though; any non-scientific article or post should cite trusted information/experiments, otherwise it's just a matter of "Do you believe what I know or do you not ?" and I don't, and you shouldn't either (unless you actually are educated properly on the subject).
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #22
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Trump Administration Is Trying to Get Rid of People Who Are Transgender :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
people who wanna clap back at custom pronouns use this shittiest arguments, i swear

a quick google search easily discredits this. jail time is a huge stretch. possibly having someone press charges on you for repeatedly misgendering them? yeah, that's a possibility if you're canadian. (possibly important clarification: someone could charge you for harassment if, despite them correcting you repeatedly, you still choose to misgender them)

i don't mean to come off as harsh as i am. i've just had to sit in on people yapping this bs for a while, and it's frustrating. if you want to have an honest and fruitful conversation about pronouns, then the ffr forums is probably not the best place. airing your grievances against custom pronouns is definitely not appropriate in a thread about the trump administration attempting to legally nullify transgender folks.

it's also not that big of a deal to be respectful of others and refer to them the way they like, so i don't understand how you can be so annoyed by this.
well... I did make my post in 30 seconds. Yeah, there hasn't been any jail time. My bad. I was more or less misremembering things (not a jump on the bandwagon person) like the teacher getting fired a year or so ago and thought jail in place of that when making the post lol.

I have always been respectful of people but I will not call someone "zir" or some other silly thing I just use their name or walk away since I don't go out of my way to hurt people. What's wrong with him and her? If a man wants to be a woman would he then not be a her? Another issue I have with all of this is that people have gotten in trouble or fired for refusing to use their pronoun. As long as someone is not a asshole about it, no one should be fired for that.

I don't see your post as harsh at all.

Last edited by G.S.M; 10-22-2018 at 05:37 PM..
G.S.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #23
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjixcon View Post
i like "yo" and "yoself". I would use those myself.
but stuff like xie , zir, co, ze..... i mean come on... it feels like im reading chinese peoples names.

edit: bottom line though.. it's physically impossible to make other people address you with a "specific" sound. You would have to torture them until they gave in... or alter their voice box with a computer chip or something.
It's fine to request specific pronouns, it's really just a preference and all, but just because you recognize yourself as a specific gender, does not mean everyone else does, and as you have your rights to assert your choice, they have the right to assert their choice to not do so.

It's fucking ugly, but to shorten it, just for fuck's sake if someone uses the wrong one just ask them nicely and if they don't or they slip up take it in stride. It's not rocket science to even the most socially inept kinds of people.

A former coworker of mine and I talked a lot about how they're transgender and their social politics and this kinda thing is exactly what those like them are afraid of.

On another note, I get for legal purposes trying to limit what people can use as their gender is something that *maybe* ought to happen. But defining it from birth is a bit fucking much. Maybe requiring the transitioning surgery would be fine but from birth is, just, absolutely not in this day and age.

To clarify: I personally think legalality specific genders should be:

Male
Female
Transitioning
Trangender - Male
Transgender - Female

Something to this effect. Likely worded a lot nicer with less "CIS WHITE MALE" ignorance thrown in. Not where "Male" and "Female" are absolute but a broad category at best. You can't sort people into every single thing they come up with for strictly legal purposes. It's unreasonable, to a point.

Also, I think even if it's passed it'd get taken to the supreme court, where I can't imagine it'd win tbh. It'd be kind of like outlawing gay marriage again, and tbh that wouldn't happen I don't think. Just speculation though.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #24
Sanjixcon
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

yeah i agree that list would be much better than just throwing out random two-three letter words that no ones familiar with and don't tell much about the persons gender.

i mean everyone has the right to "request" what they want to be called but that doesn't mean everyone else has to fill that request.
but yeah trumps administration could go about this more gracefully (so not to scare the shit out of everyone) but thats trump for ya i guess :/

Last edited by Sanjixcon; 10-22-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Sanjixcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #25
mellon_collie
FFR Player

Here's a question why the fuck does it matter what somebody's sex or gender is except in very specific medical contexts
mellon_collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #26
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
Here's a question why the fuck does it matter what somebody's sex or gender is except in very specific medical contexts
I would think sports is the main concern for most of the population and probably doctors if it helps guiding them in urgent diagnosis (for example male would be much more at risk of something so check that first, female just do that check later on if not a priority, something like that).

Also many people probably wouldn't accept trans people being with them at place like bathrooms with stalls, there most likely already exist cases of (for example, typical scenario) a transitionning mtf going in women bathroom. Ofc there's the "make all bathrooms genderless" but that's not doable in 1 day (practically it's probably not much of a problem though but gotta make people accept it) so we have to handle such scenarios. Some extremist women would probably bring up rape culture as something that would be aggravated if people with penises shared their bathrooms (the opposite scenario, someone with vagina in men bathroom, is the same but just less common of a problem I'd guess).

All of that doesn't affect me much (except doctors thing if it's a real problem) so I'm personally all good with like xelnya's list but that's my 2¢
Old 10-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #27
flashflash account
FFR Player

get rid of competitive melee players first imo

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #28
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S.M View Post
well... I did make my post in 30 seconds. Yeah, there hasn't been any jail time. My bad. I was more or less misremembering things (not a jump on the bandwagon person) like the teacher getting fired a year or so ago and thought jail in place of that when making the post lol.

I have always been respectful of people but I will not call someone "zir" or some other silly thing I just use their name or walk away since I don't go out of my way to hurt people. What's wrong with him and her? If a man wants to be a woman would he then not be a her? Another issue I have with all of this is that people have gotten in trouble or fired for refusing to use their pronoun. As long as someone is not a asshole about it, no one should be fired for that.

I don't see your post as harsh at all.
Thanks for admitting that you misremembered something. I give you props for that.

So, many transgender people do use him or her if they identify as a man or woman, respectively. But some people identify as neither a man or a woman, or as parts of both. For them, him or her does not adequately express how they identify. Because the English language uses gendered pronouns, there isn't a good way for those people to refer to themselves, so they're making up pronouns to fill in the gap. Is it a perfect solution? No, but I think we should let them try. Perhaps in the future when it's more socially accepted to not be cisgendered, we'll have a standard set of pronouns outside of him and her.
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
"Do you believe what I know or do you not ?" and I don't, and you shouldn't either (unless you actually are educated properly on the subject).
Sorry you're too stupid to use google

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #30
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
Sorry you're too stupid to use google
I believe the biology elements she mentions in her post (specific hormones production during certain development stages + their effect on organs) are not common knowledge and that therefore she should provide sources. If you believe that people without that level of education on biology should understand everything she said by googling then hey you can argue that. Calling me stupid doesn't do much though.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #31
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
I believe the biology elements she mentions in her post (specific hormones production during certain development stages + their effect on organs) are not common knowledge and that therefore she should provide sources. If you believe that people without that level of education on biology should understand everything she said by googling then hey you can argue that. Calling me stupid doesn't do much though.
You're right, not searching for relevant terms on a media platform that notoriously eschews citations and instead complaining about the lack of citations is more lazy than stupid.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #32
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
You're right, not searching for relevant terms on a media platform that notoriously eschews citations and instead complaining about the lack of citations is more lazy than stupid.
Wow man are you ok ?

First I don't go on twitter so I wouldn't be aware of that reputation, but that doesn't mean that because it is known for the lack of citations people shouldn't cite, that's just not an excuse. Am I complaining ? I'm not. Am I lazy ? Yes I can be, but gosh that is quite off the point. She clearly seems to be trying to get her point across and change common beliefs (which according to her are wrong/incomplete) about genders, so why not bring up some links to back up her facts ? If you think I'm asking for too much like I said it's alright, I can admit to some laziness on my part. You seem particularly upset/aggressive for no reason here..
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #33
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
get rid of competitive melee players first imo
lmao
Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #34
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAiOnEiX View Post
I also believe that if you are actively trying to transition a prepubescent child then this person should probably be hanged upside down and pour acid down their bungholes until their insides turn to jello after that make sure they suffer and survive the torture and put them in a room of mirrors forced to watch themselves die a miserable death.
Holy hell, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #35
SpaceGorilla
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

i have my own thoughts on this but i don't see why it would help arguing about them on a ffr forum just to make other people mad
big think

br2pac

play this ^
SpaceGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #36
flashflash account
FFR Player

why be tolerant and accepting when you can let the hate flow through you
you'll learn how to shoot lightning

I know I'm not a grown up because I can't talk about important subjects without resorting to terrible jokes

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #37
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
+1

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #38
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

apersons having a bad day
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #39
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

when it comes to public discussion it's inevitably a emotionally charged discussion to have when we're questioning people's entire identities.

find common ground, establish mutual respect, and start there. does the person who disagrees come from a place where they believe they are right and just? overwhelmingly likely as is overwhelmingly likely with you. discover that from each other. get to understand their perspective. give them a legitimate chance. this goes hand in hand with political talk in general. it's even more important to strive for it in divisive times. otherwise it'll be like throwing endless amounts of feces at a wall with not an ounce of intellectual communication being absorbed from any direction of the communication efforts
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #40
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

cw: arch

sorry i find his stylings too amusing, cant wait for him to buy back this site he clearly feels deeply for

tldr somehow this thread is raekos fault and we are all idiots for participating in this thread (cept maybe shaieonalongadingdong by his standards)

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 10-23-2018 at 09:31 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote