Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #61
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

How do you feel about the world?
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #62
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's a pretty nutty thing
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #63
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

How do you feel about the whole "soul" thing? It makes no sense to me that a person, just an arrangement of atoms and molecules, suddenly has an immaterial portion when they're made of elements originating from the Earth.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #64
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I see no reason to believe in a soul.

Humans evolved from simpler life forms over many many years, all the way back to single-celled organisms, for example. If a soul exists, then at what point along the evolutionary timeline did it become part of the physical structure? Not only is it a stretch, but it's not even necessary.

Saying that our soul goes on when we die is like arguing that my computer's soul goes on when I smash it to bits, or that a tree's soul goes on when I chop it down, or a mound of dirt's soul goes on when I kick it across the ground (hopefully you can see where I'm going with that progression).

tl;dr occam's razor
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #65
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I see no reason to believe in a soul.

Humans evolved from simpler life forms over many many years, all the way back to single-celled organisms, for example. If a soul exists, then at what point along the evolutionary timeline did it become part of the physical structure? Not only is it a stretch, but it's not even necessary.

Saying that our soul goes on when we die is like arguing that my computer's soul goes on when I smash it to bits, or that a tree's soul goes on when I chop it down, or a mound of dirt's soul goes on when I kick it across the ground (hopefully you can see where I'm going with that progression).

tl;dr occam's razor
Exactly... This is why I am infinitely worried about death and will do whatever I can to stay alive as long as possible

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #66
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I fear death too (if only because I love life too much to ever leave it), which is why lately I've gotten into a serious health kick because I want to live as long as I can.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #67
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

What do you have to say about people who question the universe being a meaningless place?

I find this very interesting to get feedback on because I've accepted that reality, but I want to know how you think about it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #68
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
What do you have to say about people who question the universe being a meaningless place?

I find this very interesting to get feedback on because I've accepted that reality, but I want to know how you think about it.
what's with all the ExiSTenTiAL INQUiRies!!11??

I look at someone who sees objective meaning in the universe in the same way I look at someone who sees Jesus' face in their toast.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #69
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Have you ever considered submitting a file to FFR?
Old 10-2-2012, 02:54 PM   #70
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Have you ever considered submitting a file to FFR?
Yeah but too lazy to write it / figure out permissions / send it through the system
Old 10-8-2012, 03:28 PM   #71
Zapmeister
FFR Player

You're playing poker with a tiger, a walrus, and a chicken. The chicken folds pre-flop. You're holding Ks 10d and the flop is 2h 2s 4h. The tiger checks, and the walrus yawns and goes all-in without really thinking, which is about 5 times minimum bet. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?

Would you step this piano piece for FFR? (and every note needs an arrow, all 166112 of them)

What is your opinion of Facebook Timeline?

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers how many peppers did Peter Piper pick?

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #72
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
You're playing poker with a tiger, a walrus, and a chicken. The chicken folds pre-flop. You're holding Ks 10d and the flop is 2h 2s 4h. The tiger checks, and the walrus yawns and goes all-in without really thinking, which is about 5 times minimum bet. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?

Would you step this piano piece for FFR? (and every note needs an arrow, all 166112 of them)

What is your opinion of Facebook Timeline?

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers how many peppers did Peter Piper pick?
Answer to all four: no
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #73
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

How did you first find FFR?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #74
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
How did you first find FFR?
I don't remember exactly, but I was really active on DDRManiaX and a couple other sites back in the day and probably found out there. I can tell you that the person who got me into DDR/DWI in the first place was actually the person who later created the Zen Rebirth theme for Stepmania (we were both members of an RPG-maker community back in 1999-2001 or something like that). He had sent me, over AIM, the songs Angelfalls and Captain Jack. I thought they were catchy, so I downloaded DWI -- and the rest is history.

Ok I've gone on a tangent. Back on-point:

The first time I was on FFR, really, I don't believe I had signed up yet. I have a memory of playing it once when I was in the computer lab during a graphic design class freshman year of high school. I remember thinking FFR sucked because it was that early engine where there were only a few songs and retarded timing windows, so I was like eff that, DWI is much better.

Later, though, I was at a bubble tea cafe in Oregon with some friends and they had a small internet cafe there. Someone (who was no longer there or logged in) left open their FFR window. They had been playing the R2 engine, which I thought was really interesting since it looked like DWI/Stepmania. It was at that point that I signed up as MrRubix. Still hated R2 after playing with it, though. Didn't start playing competitively on that account until... I wanna say 2006 or so.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #75
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

did you enjoy that pizza and did you work out extra hard to burn off dem calories
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #76
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

nope and nope

hadn't eaten anything all day up until that point and the pizza was thin-crust; caloric intake a-ok
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #77
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

what are your thoughts on stuffed crust

I wish chuck e cheese sold thin crust pizza lol, thin crust is best crust
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #78
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

stuffed crust = unnecessary. there's already more than enough cheese on the sucker. it's like a gateway food attribute, for which we have a clear example of in another realm, when taken out to the fullest

Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #79
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Have you played any roguelikes? My favourites are https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ and http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/index.html since they're non-grindy, brisk and transparent

What do you think about thorium nuclear power?

What's the most complicated thing you've programmed?

What's a mathematical/scientific/logical concept you tried to wrap your mind around once but couldn't?

Ever make any music? You should learn Famitracker with me~~

What do you think about osu! ?

Favourite cryptographic concept/algorithm?

If you woke up one day and were suddenly 100% determined to get Stepmania out to the masses, newbie friendly, easy to find simfiles and packs for no matter what level and style you are and what genre you're interested in, easy to play multiplayer and gather statistics on, etc. but were otherwise the same person, what would your plan be? And no giving up in this hypothetical

Favourite fruit? Favourite vegetable?

How many people can you recognize by face? By name?

If you had a magic wand that, when waved, would change one thing about the US educational system, what would it be? How about the US legal system? Economics?

If you ran for President (let's assume you had the funds and connections to do it), what would your campaign be about? What if you wanted to win above all else, would it still be the same platform?
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #80
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Have you played any roguelikes? My favourites are https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ and http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/index.html since they're non-grindy, brisk and transparent

What do you think about thorium nuclear power?

What's the most complicated thing you've programmed?

What's a mathematical/scientific/logical concept you tried to wrap your mind around once but couldn't?

Ever make any music? You should learn Famitracker with me~~

What do you think about osu! ?

Favourite cryptographic concept/algorithm?

If you woke up one day and were suddenly 100% determined to get Stepmania out to the masses, newbie friendly, easy to find simfiles and packs for no matter what level and style you are and what genre you're interested in, easy to play multiplayer and gather statistics on, etc. but were otherwise the same person, what would your plan be? And no giving up in this hypothetical

Favourite fruit? Favourite vegetable?

How many people can you recognize by face? By name?

If you had a magic wand that, when waved, would change one thing about the US educational system, what would it be? How about the US legal system? Economics?

If you ran for President (let's assume you had the funds and connections to do it), what would your campaign be about? What if you wanted to win above all else, would it still be the same platform?
1. Nope

2. Overhyped

3. A long time ago, I worked at a trading firm where I helped develop a bunch of the risk management features of the trading platform. There were tons of pieces to it and since it had to be extremely fast, it was a challenge.

4. There are countless things I don't understand/can't wrap my mind around. I'm no expert in math/science -- I just consider myself reasonably literate. A lot of the stuff from the experts at Math.stackexchange or MathOverflow or Physicsforums, etc... it's just gibberish to me. I'd say probability is by far the hardest mathematical subject to grasp fully, especially when it comes to setting up a hard problem correctly.

5. Nope -- I feel like making music would require years of practice to get good at, and I simply don't have the time/will. I feel like I'd be more inclined to just hire someone to make music for me (if I were to ever make a game, for instance) and just tell them the sort of music I'd want/what it should sound like/what sources would be good inspiration for particular sections/etc.

6. Played it once with a mouse and wanted to shoot myself in the face.

7. Being able to hide messages in things like pictures and sound waves is kinda cool. Cryptography doesn't interest me as much when it comes to, say, internet security or what have you. I'm more of a fan of steganography and just trying to find creative ways of hiding things.

8. Hard to answer this question. I would take after Steam's example and try to build a lot of the core functionality into a main app where you could participate in communities, play the games, download songs, etc. Getting people to go online and set up folder systems and look for bumper backs and troubleshoot theme issues via forums is tedious and timeconsuming. The rise of the console/mobile markets only puts more pressure on the need to keep things simple and easily accessible. Also, one of the main reasons I stopped using Stepmania is because *every damn song stepped nowadays is complete shit*. I don't give two squats about things like color theory or dumpstream flow or whatever. Of course, there are other major issues with the rhythm gaming industry at large but this answer is getting too long so I will stop here.

9. Fruit: Oranges/grapes/pineapples. Vegetable: Broccoli/carrots

10. Dunno off the top of my head/too lazy to estimate

11. I would try to make teaching a more attractive industry that drew talent via higher compensation. In other words, I feel like being a teacher should be viewed as an honorable profession rather than "Oh, you're not ambitious enough to be a doctor/lawyer/businessman and now you make a crappy salary." There would be a much greater focus on simple reading and writing/basic mathematics/science and technology/applied problemsolving from the getgo (things that have shown to actually be effective), rather than trying to shoehorn everything into these nebulous programs that are just aimed at churning out higher scores on tests of questionable worth. It scares me when a 7th grader can barely put together a coherent sentence, or when their homework is nothing but an exercise in regurgitating facts/formulas that one could just look up online. As for the legal system, I would abolish the death penalty entirely. I would also try to make the legal system more accessible to the average Joe by cutting back on things like filing fees/motions, which make it hard for many people to get justice. Stop throwing people in jail who don't belong there and look into rehabilitation programs instead. There are also countless laws that are ridiculous and need to be thrown out/altered. Honestly, there's way too many things to respond with here so I'll move on. Economics, I would restructure the way the government is run so that it's a rigorous meritocracy, of sorts. There are way too many science-denying, fact-dodging, snake-oil salesmen running things at the federal level, and this in turn causes all sorts of negative impacts that are systemic/global. Get people into office who know how to work together/get shit done/make decisions based on reality, and so much can be accomplished.

12. I know it's against the spirit of the question, but I'd never run for President. It would drive me insane. The system's too broken right now and someone like me couldn't win anyway.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-15-2012 at 09:01 PM..