Old 03-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #2341
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127
Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Can the FFRorbular noteskin from the R^2 engine be added to the R^3 engine? Shouldnt be too hard to do and it would be fun to use that noteskin again.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:08 AM   #2342
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Hey everyone, my final exams are officially over, so I'll do my best to respond to as many of your suggestions as I can this week.

By the request of Hakulyte, I brought back and updated the Changelog for a start. You can find it under the "Play FFR" tab.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #2343
botchi246
Keepin it Real since '05
FFR Veteran

I request the addition of raw score comparison in the "compare scores" tab of daily statistics. Thank you

botchi246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #2344
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by botchi246 View Post
I request the addition of raw score comparison in the "compare scores" tab of daily statistics. Thank you
Thank you for your suggestion! The level rank comparison tool has been updated, and now uses raw scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
lmao I just remembered there's an achievement token for getting MP level 10. Is that even attainable anymore?
A handful of skill token requirements desperately need to be refactored in order to reflect engine updates made since their release. I would like to find some players to help compile a list of outdated skill tokens, and collaborate on new and fair unlock requirements. If anyone reading this thread is interested, please send me a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
plz implement autoplay like in sm.
also no health bar mode.
An in-game autoplay feature already exists for Administrators, so it would not be challenging to extend that functionality to players with Veteran status. Let me ask Velocity why this is a bad idea, and I will get back to you!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #2345
botchi246
Keepin it Real since '05
FFR Veteran

Thank you Prawnskunk

botchi246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #2346
Red Blaster
Bridge Burner
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
lmao I just remembered there's an achievement token for getting MP level 10. Is that even attainable anymore?
If you load into the legacy or velocity multiplayer lobbies instead of universal you can still view your true multiplayer level (it shows up instead of your skill level) so I'd assume it's still very much possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
what's a milky christmas :O

Last edited by Red Blaster; 04-20-2016 at 11:49 PM..
Red Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #2347
dillon101001
FFR Player

Thumbs up Re: FFR Suggestions

(hope this doesnt get lost xD)
I noticed that in the filters section that theres only one. so is this just the filter section? there should be grade filters like this..
1 to 99

Show:
[] AAA
[] AA
[] A
[] B
[] C
[] D
[] E
[] Unplayed
In other words, pros that have AAA on half of the song would probably hate having it if they touch the random button.
Also id like the ability to control the bars leinency, as im literally capable of passing anything over 75 by button mashing. Also by giving the option to make it more strict, it can help people get a better reading of their level and/or have a challenge. Generally, by changing these settings it will be like a dynamic autofail. Since this wouldnt effect scores very much it is a good addition.
dillon101001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #2348
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon101001 View Post
I noticed that in the filters section that theres only one. so is this just the filter section? there should be grade filters like this..
1 to 99

Show:
[] AAA
[] AA
[] A
[] B
[] C
[] D
[] E
[] Unplayed
In other words, pros that have AAA on half of the song would probably hate having it if they touch the random button.
Also id like the ability to control the bars leinency, as im literally capable of passing anything over 75 by button mashing. Also by giving the option to make it more strict, it can help people get a better reading of their level and/or have a challenge. Generally, by changing these settings it will be like a dynamic autofail. Since this wouldnt effect scores very much it is a good addition.
The grade system in FFR isn't fully accurate of a score and is in no means equivalent to Stepmania (FFR's AA is 99% and above, where SM is 93 and above) but there should be a filter section in R^3.

Filtering AAAs, FCs, SDGs, Blackflags, Passes, and Unplayed though would prove to be very helpful to the playerbase.

On an unrelated note, please change Here We Go Token from 99% to 90-95% because 99% of 1700+ songs is too demanding of players now than it was many years ago.

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #2349
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I feel like a AA/99% filter could be useful for players wanting to improve songs where they aren't anywhere close to the AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #2350
sickufully
Sir Krisk
FFR Veteran

Just a random thought while in class, there could be some sort of pop-up post-game if your score exceeds your skill level or is just generally good for your skill level(AAA or high AA).

E.g. You are D1 and manage a clean SDG on a 20+ song. Post game there is a pop-up that could share the image to the FFR forums or to social media.

Same would go for any skill level, like a D6 scoring a AAA on a 85+ or something. I don't know how this would exactly work and I'm kinda going off course from my original idea but it would be nice for newer players to be able to brag and introduce them to the forums since there aren't many new players that post.

Maybe the introduction of new sub-forums under brag board for the images to be automatically uploaded to. Like D1-2, D3-4, D5-6 and D7. I dunno. JUST WORK WITH ME HERE!!!

Yes, I also just realised that this probably requires some complex algorithm for it to judge a good score from your skill rating but I just like the idea.

ALSO, completely off topic but why is there a 'rate' category under the 'recently played' song on the FP? I always thought that rates other than 1x were never saved.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #2351
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

To prevent new threads in the birthday forum every year: Have a thread for every day of the year, record who has a birthday on each day, and just rattle off who started their journey on that date. Then the only updating will consist of celebrating how many times each person's done it.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #2352
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon101001 View Post
1 to 99

Show:
[] AAA
[] AA
[] A
[] B
[] C
[] D
[] E
[] Unplayed
Good suggestion! I have been toying with the idea of a "smart" random song feature for a while. I would like a feature that took one's skill rating and a "leniency" factor into consideration, to select a song on a particular rate. I know such a feature would cut down on the amount of time I regularly spend scrolling through the song selection screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickufully View Post
Just a random thought while in class, there could be some sort of pop-up post-game if your score exceeds your skill level or is just generally good for your skill level(AAA or high AA).

E.g. You are D1 and manage a clean SDG on a 20+ song. Post game there is a pop-up that could share the image to the FFR forums or to social media.

Same would go for any skill level, like a D6 scoring a AAA on a 85+ or something. I don't know how this would exactly work and I'm kinda going off course from my original idea but it would be nice for newer players to be able to brag and introduce them to the forums since there aren't many new players that post.

Maybe the introduction of new sub-forums under brag board for the images to be automatically uploaded to. Like D1-2, D3-4, D5-6 and D7. I dunno. JUST WORK WITH ME HERE!!!

Yes, I also just realised that this probably requires some complex algorithm for it to judge a good score from your skill rating but I just like the idea.

ALSO, completely off topic but why is there a 'rate' category under the 'recently played' song on the FP? I always thought that rates other than 1x were never saved.
Integrating skill rating into the song results screen is the next big project of mine! Your post gives me some good ideas for that project. It really wouldn't be difficult to determine what a "good score" worth highlighting is. I will be sure to leave more updates here on the progress of more detailed song results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
To prevent new threads in the birthday forum every year: Have a thread for every day of the year, record who has a birthday on each day, and just rattle off who started their journey on that date. Then the only updating will consist of celebrating how many times each person's done it.
I view birthday threads as something personal and thoughtful, like a birthday card signed by the community. I think it would be impersonal to automate that. Do you disagree? I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you are suggesting.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #2353
thesunfan
Role Tide
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to thesunfan

I agree with Prawn, having threads that get made by actual people is a lot more personal than automating it, and for that reason I think they should stay as they are.

There aren't even that many made at once, I don't believe I've ever felt like there were too many birthday threads at once
Did you get a chance to kill that deadbeat sonuvabitch boyfriend of danceguys', "sunfan"? i hate that fucker. he's a stupid head. i'm way smarter and funnier and prettier and richer and more sensitive than him, and like i can get drunk and still hold complex logical conversations n shit and i bet that fucker cant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
(Someone helpfully lectured us in postgame that we voted out the wrong inactive player with COVID on Day 1.)
thesunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #2354
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Just a heads up, I'm doing a bit of an experiment on this website. A lot of things are confusing me, such as why d1 is the smallest and least active division.

Things don't add up. With 1,950,000 accounts, why are only 500 users active at once? I understand that there are simply users that don't stay, but the active users to accounts is less than 0.001%

I have asked a few friends of mine who know nothing of FFR to judge the introduction experience and feed back. I will be listing their issues in a separate thread. I personally love FFR, so I want to see a sight where new players are coming in. I didn't know how best to do it, so I decided let them figure out what's wrong.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:24 AM   #2355
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

In response to your second paragraph:
It does seem like a ridiculous contrast in statistics at first, but consider that the inactive constituents consist of far more than retired players:
- bot users (majority)
- alt accounts for playing
- alt accounts for spamming (some users used to spam with hundreds of alt accounts)

You have to then consider how much the downtime of 2009-2010 has negatively impacted the number of new and returning players. Finally, the bigger trend - other than general site stagnation - is that rhythm games in general (and DDR-related ones in particular) have decreased in popularity. What was once a fad is now just another genre in gaming and nothing new. Certain areas such as the FFR game itself is being continuously updated and improved, but you should understand that site growth is generally an uphill battle.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:44 AM   #2356
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
It does seem like a ridiculous contrast in statistics at first, but consider that the inactive constituents consist of far more than retired players:
- bot users (majority)
- alt accounts for spamming (some users used to spam with hundreds of alt accounts)

You have to then consider how much the downtime of 2009-2010 has negatively impacted the number of new and returning players. Finally, the bigger trend - other than general site stagnation - is that rhythm games in general (and DDR-related ones in particular) have decreased in popularity. What was once a fad is now just another genre in gaming and nothing new. Certain areas such as the FFR game itself is being continuously updated and improved, but you should understand that site growth is generally an uphill battle.
I am aware, and the 2009-2010 hit will be addressed.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:47 AM   #2357
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Finally, the bigger trend - other than general site stagnation - is that rhythm games in general (and DDR-related ones in particular) have decreased in popularity. What was once a fad is now just another genre in gaming and nothing new. Certain areas such as the FFR game itself is being continuously updated and improved, but you should understand that site growth is generally an uphill battle.
When you look at how osu! is doing since it started in 2007 (8.5 million users, thousands active at all times) it contradicts your statements about rhythm gaming being in decline. osu! has a global Alexa rank of 2,879 and FFR is at 211,098 (as of right now). If FFR had done more then it could have easily been up there. Same with looking at when games like Project Diva get released and go on to sell millions.

I will agree with the whole stagnation comment though. That has always been FFR's problem: that not enough was ever done to get FFR going forward. From marketing and promotion to diversification. It was discarded by those who could actually make a difference and has become a rubbish raft floating along in the sea, waiting for a wave to come along and put it out of its misery.

We can make suggestions until that day comes, but it would be pointless. There needs to be a leader, or leaders, who actively go out into the real world and get FFR pushed forward. No amount of site improvements will do anything at this point in time to increase the userbase. In-fact, you could even throw in the idea that the best suggestion would be a fresh start. Begin anew with an actual business plan and an improvement strategy and go from there.

I wonder how many of the songs are still legally ours to use? Could be most artists who gave permission have probably forgot we still exist.

Last edited by TheRapingDragon; 06-28-2016 at 03:48 AM..
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 AM   #2358
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
- bot users (majority)

Is there a reason to not actually delete those accounts that are the majority of that number, and bring it down to something that at least vaguely represents the size of the userbase?

It makes the site look a lot more crowded and busy than it ever will be to a new player, who is either going to be intimidated by thinking about competing with 2 million people, or wondering where the hell all these people are, as they consider joining the community.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #2359
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
When you look at how osu! is doing since it started in 2007 (8.5 million users, thousands active at all times) it contradicts your statements about rhythm gaming being in decline. osu! has a global Alexa rank of 2,879 and FFR is at 211,098 (as of right now). If FFR had done more then it could have easily been up there. Same with looking at when games like Project Diva get released and go on to sell millions.
Keep in mind that osu's activity is largely due to the database of songs that users create, and that database is prone to a lot of liability, despite the site having a clear-cut policy when it comes to song removal. FFR sacrificed its simfile database to comply with the law in regards to questionable audio distribution. You can say that osu has also made a lot of better decisions when it comes to the direction of the site, gaming, and community, but I'd also categorize osu as a current trend (much of it kept afloat by the anime/Vocaloid/Touhou sub community, same with Project Diva).

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Is there a reason to not actually delete those accounts that are the majority of that number, and bring it down to something that at least vaguely represents the size of the userbase?

It makes the site look a lot more crowded and busy than it ever will be to a new player, who is either going to be intimidated by thinking about competing with 2 million people, or wondering where the hell all these people are, as they consider joining the community.
I was told that Synthlight for some reason really really frowns upon account deletion as opposed to account closure. Maybe the reasoning has to do with archival purposes, but it's not one I fully understand.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:33 AM   #2360
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

It was always my understanding as well, when I was on staff. No permanent deletion of threads, or users.

I feel like it is holding the site back to maintain those rules, and from every possible source I've encountered, even getting a hold of Synth for -anything- since his last heroic return and catastrophic abandonment has been basically impossible.

The site is, by his own statements, going to basically stay going forever, stay non-profit forever, and stay basically unsupported by him in any way outside server costs.

What, realistically, is the worst that happens if those accounts (ESPECIALLY bots, why the heck is any obsession with archiving extended to archiving spam?) get deleted and Synth finds out about it. Do you think he tries to sue somebody? Shuts the site down out of spite?

Honestly, I feel like you tell somebody "FFR has a small but close-knit and active community" and then they see 1.9 million users, they probably either think "Okay, so everything they say about the site is just bullshit" or they think "What is so horrible about the game that they went from 2 million people to 'a small but close-knit community'? That community must be elitist jerks"

Last edited by devonin; 06-28-2016 at 04:34 AM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote