Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default What are your thoughts on EBT/Food stamps.

I understand the GOAL of the system, but honestly, it pisses me off beyond imagination everytime someone buys 20 pounds of junk food with EBT, then immediately says "Oh and let me get 3 packs of Newport 100's and a case of beer" and whips out a $100.

Like what the fuck is wrong with you. If I had a choice I would kick you out of the store. Maybe if you werent a cigarette addict /alcoholic and a drain on society, you wouldnt be on welfare you lazy fucks. That $25 you just spent killing yourself could have bought you enough food for a few days.

Now Im not talking about those who are only using it temporarily until they get on their feet, but seriously, I see 100+ customers a day who pull the shit I said above and it really just makes me hate people more and more.

Last edited by dragonmegaXX; 02-27-2013 at 02:04 PM..
dragonmegaXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What are your thoughts on EBT/Food stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX View Post
I understand the GOAL of the system, but honestly, it pisses me off beyond imagination everytime someone buys 20 pounds of junk food with EBT, then immediately says "Oh and let me get 3 packs of Newport 100's and a case of beer" and whips out a $100.

Like what the fuck is wrong with you. If I had a choice I would kick you out of the store. Maybe if you werent a cigarette addict /alcoholic and a drain on society, you wouldnt be on welfare you lazy fucks. That $25 you just spent killing yourself could have bought you enough food for a few days.

Now Im not talking about those who are only using it temporarily until they get on their feet, but seriously, I see 100+ customers a day who pull the shit I said above and it really just makes me hate people more and more.
the way welfare works right now is a joke. if the poor can live comfortably from taxpayer money then they don't have much incentive to work towards anything. instead, they'll just keep voting their feeding hand into office, which is currently the democrat party. obama's administration just really enjoys spreading the wealth and it's toxic
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
TC_llama499
Resident Rock Climber
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TC_llama499 Send a message via MSN to TC_llama499 Send a message via Yahoo to TC_llama499

oh no free $ for unfortunate people, better go complain.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

I agree... I really didnt know how bad it was until I started working where I do now. It's just scary when I give 100+ people their EBT receipts, and at the bottom it says they have a balance of $500~ sometimes...

Like goddamn these people getting are more money than me and I work 40 hours a week. All that money could be used for so many others things.

@TC: I dont understand how you think these people are unfortunate when they obviously have enough money to satisfy their addictions, yet refuse to get off their lazy asses and go to job fairs or SOMETHING.

I already said this isnt about the ones who actually need it while they get a solid income.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
C.I.A.
Banned

It's easy for you to pass judgement while sitting in your safe suburban home. What other people do with their money, whether they got it from the government or not, isn't your business at all. It seems that most people that are against food stamps use anecdotal evidence in their arguments. Just like Reagan's propaganda about "welfare queens" and the like, you're attacking the lower segments of society, the parts of society that need the most help. If you're truly upset about money being wasted then perhaps you should look at the top 1%. Insurance companies, banks, and other various mega-corporations are where you should focus your disgust, for they are the ones responsible for high-prices, poverty and structural discrimination.
C.I.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.A. View Post
It's easy for you to pass judgement while sitting in your safe suburban home. What other people do with their money, whether they got it from the government or not, isn't your business at all. It seems that most people that are against food stamps use anecdotal evidence in their arguments. Just like Reagan's propaganda about "welfare queens" and the like, you're attacking the lower segments of society, the parts of society that need the most help. If you're truly upset about money being wasted then perhaps you should look at the top 1%. Insurance companies, banks, and other various mega-corporations are where you should focus your disgust, for they are the ones responsible for high-prices, poverty and structural discrimination.
Are you serious?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
C.I.A.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
the way welfare works right now is a joke. if the poor can live comfortably from taxpayer money then they don't have much incentive to work towards anything. instead, they'll just keep voting their feeding hand into office, which is currently the democrat party. obama's administration just really enjoys spreading the wealth and it's toxic
not really. perhaps you should read more about how wealth is distributed in America, you'd find out that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, just like they would with any other president. i really have disdain for people like you; people who only criticize the president because of his political affiliation, parroting what they hear on TV as if it is fact. There is a lot wrong with the president and how the country is run, but you only seem to be focused on political bullshit. you discredit the people who criticize the president for legitimate reasons
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
C.I.A.
Banned

Quote:
Are you serious?
this redundant question would be better if it were an actual reply to my post
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

I was homeless for a few months, came in pretty handy and I definitely bought health food. I wasn't going to sit around and starve, if I had to I would of just stolen food, foodstamps helps many people not have to make that choice. Everybody's situation is different but people really need to stop hating on each other for everything. I see more people get mad about helping out your fellow human then people getting mad about the U.S.'s ridiculous budget for military. We focus way too much on our differences and hatred rather then our similarities and love for each other. Sure there are going to be lazy people who will take advantage, but they have a low quality life as it is and that is pretty fair. Anyone who is envious or angry about someone getting a few hundred bucks to LIVE on is a programmed asshole in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Quote:
not really. perhaps you should read more about how wealth is distributed in America, you'd find out that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, just like they would with any other president. i really have disdain for people like you; people who only criticize the president because of his political affiliation, parroting what they hear on TV as if it is fact. There is a lot wrong with the president and how the country is run, but you only seem to be focused on political bullshit. you discredit the people who criticize the president for legitimate reasons
Have you considered that the poor are getting poorer because the government keeps throwing them more freebies? What incentive to people have to try harder if they keep having scraps thrown to them. I have never seen a person come into my store using EBT looking like they were trying to move up in the world. I see the same people now as I did 6 months ago, and they are still buying the exact same things, and not trying to make any sort of effort into trying to get out of the hole they dug themselves into.

And also, did you really say how they get their money is none of my business?

It's 100% my business considering it's partially my money their spending.

@Jerry: It seems like you also missed the part where I said Im all for EBT if it's used properly, and you arent spending all of your actual income on Tobacco, alcohol, and hundreds of dollars in lottery tickets.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
congratulations on not knowing what youre talking about. this whole question is loaded with political insight and if it were a repub in office doing the same thing i would criticize that too.

like with the whole Obama phone type deal. i think that it is a horrible idea that was put into place by repubs

and dont get me started on criticizing the president because this isnt the right thread and i never have enough time to refute arguments
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry DB View Post
I was homeless for a few months, came in pretty handy and I definitely bought health food. I wasn't going to sit around and starve, if I had to I would of just stolen food, foodstamps helps many people not have to make that choice. Everybody's situation is different but people really need to stop hating on each other for everything.
i agree and im glad that the system worked how it was supposed to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry DB View Post
I see more people get mad about helping out your fellow human then people getting mad about the U.S.'s ridiculous budget for military. We focus way too much on our differences and hatred rather then our similarities and love for each other. Sure there are going to be lazy people who will take advantage, but they have a low quality life as it is and that is pretty fair. Anyone who is envious or angry about someone getting a few hundred bucks to LIVE on is a programmed asshole in my opinion.
no, the poor in america still dont have a poor quality of life compared to other countries. call me a programmed asshole because i dont want to pay for some chain smoker's cigarettes. id rather pay for bread.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
@Jerry: It seems like you also missed the part where I said Im all for EBT if it's used properly, and you arent spending all of your actual income on Tobacco, alcohol, and hundreds of dollars in lottery tickets.
I never said we didn't agree with each other and I wasn't talking about anyone in the thread specifically. Those were just my thoughts in general about EBT and I just brought up people who hate on the unfortunate because I see it all the time.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Quote:
i agree and im glad that the system worked how it was supposed to

no, the poor in america still dont have a poor quality of life compared to other countries. call me a programmed asshole because i dont want to pay for some chain smoker's cigarettes. id rather pay for bread.
100000% this.
The thread accomplished what I wanted it to. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt the only sane person on this site. This is honestly the biggest irritation I face on a daily basis(Not a lot of things irritate me)
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
C.I.A.
Banned

Quote:
Have you considered that the poor are getting poorer because the government keeps throwing them more freebies? What incentive to people have to try harder if they keep having scraps thrown to them. I have never seen a person come into my store using EBT looking like they were trying to move up in the world. I see the same people now as I did 6 months ago, and they are still buying the exact same things, and not trying to make any sort of effort into trying to get out of the hole they dug themselves into.

And also, did you really say how they get their money is none of my business?

It's 100% my business considering it's partially my money their spending.
They are no facts to back up your claim that people are getting poorer because they get welfare.

"What incentive to people have to try harder if they keep having scraps thrown to them."

You make light of the struggle of millions of Americans who work full-time minimum wage jobs and still can barely get by. A lot of these people can't get a better job than the one they have, they're stuck in a system that doesn't benefit them. a system where insurance companies and banks prosper while the lower segments of society work their asses off. The CEO's don't do all of the work, the lower classes do. the lower classes are the muscle that make our society work. the rich have subjugated them and made them into mere slaves, throwing them scraps from their lofty penthouse suites. The system is designed to benefit the rich, they make more money than they deserve. its a messed up system and for you to blame those in poverty is pretty disgusting.

Also, insurance companies and banks take more of your money than any welfare system ever will. The percentage of welfare money that's actually yours is so low that it's negligible.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I agree, but when you really look at it you pay maybe like a tenth of a penny for every dollar of taxes you spend on the military or some corrupt assholes vision/pocket. There are obviously problems everywhere but I just think we should focus on the big ones first. We also should realize have the things we think and feel are often just programmed into us, I wasn't trying to insult or categorize everyone like that so my bad
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
C.I.A.
Banned

Quote:
you do know that you can't buy cigarettes with food stamps, right?

Quote:
congratulations on not knowing what youre talking about. this whole question is loaded with political insight and if it were a repub in office doing the same thing i would criticize that too.

like with the whole Obama phone type deal. i think that it is a horrible idea that was put into place by repubs

and dont get me started on criticizing the president because this isnt the right thread and i never have enough time to refute arguments

Yet you took the time to write out a completely inane response to my post. good job
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Awful lot of statements backed up by nothing but your own view on things in this thread.
As been stated before in the thread, it's really not your business to decide what their money is to be spent on, but if they get this money by doing nothing and there are no repercussions for doing nothing either it's just messed up.
I'm not knowledgeable enough on how it works in America but here in the Netherlands welfare and things like that are not unlimited. Depending on how long you've worked before your unemployment you get a period of time in which you get 70% (iirc) of your previous pay so that you can still pay for your bills etc. After that period you'll still get money but only the bare necessities for a low income home, so you'd be forced to move down or if you get a job before that, it won't apply. Now, welfare does not mean you get to sit on your ass all day here. Instead, you're obligated to apply for a certain amount of jobs a month, and if you don't you'll be set to bare necessities as well. If your period of 70% of your previous salary is over you're still obligated to apply but you're legally required to accept any job that is willing to hire you. Most people pick up a job quick enough for this not to happen though.
From my understanding, Obama is aiming for a system similar to this.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry db
I agree, but when you really look at it you pay maybe a pay like a tenth of a penny for every dollar of taxes you spend on the military or some corrupt assholes vision/pocket. There are obviously problems everywhere but I just think we should focus on the big ones first. We also should realize have the things we think and feel are often just programmed into us, I wasn't trying to insult or categorize everyone like that so my bad
all good bro

i'd rather the government wouldn't invest in corrupt assholes too, rich or poor. also im aware we are the top military spenders in the world and thats what i am ok with, my tax dollars going towards keeping us the most powerful country in the world with the strongest military.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Quote:
you do know that you can't buy cigarettes with food stamps, right?

you do know that 85% of people who buy food with foodstamps from me also buy a pack of cigarettes or a 40 of beer right afterwards right? Whats stopping them from using that $5 to buy food instead of drugs.