Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania

Old 01-9-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
Kyzentun
FFR Player

Default [SM 5.0.10] [Theme] Consensual

haha, I did the dumb thing and forgot to actually link to the github page when I posted. See sig/avatar for how I do stuff
https://github.com/kyzentun/consensual

Does not support online mode because I don't play online and haven't felt like porting my music wheel to a mode I don't play.

Default scoring weights are ITG. There's a menu for setting them to what you want. SM5 default weights can be found here and entered in the Scoring Config menu.

My main goals with this theme were to have usable song sorting and no reasons for common users to edit the theme.

Major stuff:

Massively improved sorting and song wheel navigation, designed with 10k+ song collections in mind. The music wheel automatically nests folders inside other folders when there are more than 64 things in a folder. So when you need to find "The Good Life", you don't need to scroll past 200 other songs that start with "The " to get to it.

Menus for configuring everything from colors to scoring to timing windows to modifiers (with arbitrary values allowed for all modifiers) and the song info pane. I use the solarized color scheme as a default because bright stuff in a dark room gives me a headache. You can set whatever colors you like in the color config screen. (and post Save/consensual_settings/color_config.lua for other people to use if you want)

Nested menus so the options screen can provide all these settings without being a pain to scroll through. (though learning where stuff is will take some time)

Config options are saved to the player's profile wherever possible, so different players on the same machine can have different settings. I use this to keep my keyboard profile set to read m1300 and my pad profile set to read m650.

Unique toasty. You'll know when it happens, though it may take several times to sink in. (sometimes I'm a troll)

Goes directly from initial menu to Select Music. No rushing past player number or style picking or play mode picking screens. Those are all in sub menus on the initial menu.

There's too much else for me to describe it. The readme in the theme folder took 8 hours to write, and it doesn't list the stuff I've done in the last 4 months. So you'll have to do a bit of wandering around.

Initial menu:

Theme Conf part 1:

Theme Conf (with timing config menu open):

Theme Conf (showing thing for entering custom name for current timing settings):
I should spend some time making the scoring and life menus do this too.

Theme Conf (showing grading menu):

Theme Conf (after hitting "Set SM5 Grades"):

Color Conf part 1:

Color Conf part 2:

Select Music (focus element fully collapsed):

Select Music (focus element half expanded):

Select Music (focus element expanded):

Select Music (with a song selected by the random music wheel choice):

Select Music (with menu open):

Select Music (with pane editing menu open):

Select Music (with Shown Noteskins menu open):
The Shown Noteskins menu allows hiding noteskins from view. So if you don't like the noteskins shipped with SM5 and don't want to delete them, you can hide them. I have helped people who got crashes from deleting a standard noteskin, then trying to use a noteskin that falls back on it.

Select Music (with Wheel Layout menu open and the layout changed):

Select Music (with steps selector open):
Consensual uses two part selection, which means you have to confirm the steps after picking the song.

Select Music (with sort menu open):
The purple choices are folders.

Select Music (with Radar Value sort folder open):

Select Music (sorted by NPS):

Select Music (inside the 7.97 to 128 NPS folder) (haha, wtf makes a 128 nps simfile? DOWNS 5)

Select Music (inside the 11.76 to 12.02 NPS folder):

Gameplay (with default config):

Gameplay (with elements hidden by flags and surround life turned on):

Gameplay (with pause menu adjusting life bar open, and the screen filter turned on):

Gameplay (changed the Life Blank Area to show what it does):

Gameplay (changed speed mod, adjusted tilt to 150%, moved notefield up):

Evaluation (with confetti for gaining an experience level):
Experience is Taps + Jumps + Hands. Levels follow a complex formula that milistisia came up with a year ago. My keyboard profile with 10M+ exp is level 66. taps for level is this: ((400*level)^(1+level/140)+(level*(level+1)*(level+2)*100)/10)^(1+(100-level)/1000)

Evaluation (without the confetti):
The score has "P: 2" on it because I paused twice during the song.

Evaluation (with flags menu open):

Evaluation (with everything turned on):

Name Entry (this screen hasn't a year):
I haven't played in event mode in a long time. I just set the credit time to 4 hours for home play, then pick "End Credit" when I'm done. So I actually use the name entry screen.

Heart Rate Entry:
This is for those people using stepmania for exercise. You set age, gender, weight, and v02 max in your profile, then enter your heart rate after every song. Then those are used in a formula I got from shapesense to calculate how many calories you burned, instead of just giving 0.041 calories for a 200lb person hitting an arrow. Hopefully using heart rate and stuff like this is more accurate.

Last edited by Kyzentun; 01-9-2016 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: added link
Kyzentun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: [SM 5.0.10] [Theme] Consensual

uwa
Old 01-9-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
Kyzentun
FFR Player

I'm dumb and left out the link. I don't tag releases because I have nobody to do bug testing for me. So tagged releases wouldn't be more stable than just using the most recent from github.
https://github.com/kyzentun/consensual
Old 01-9-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
Gruzzly_Bear
FFR Player

Yay, it's the only theme that I can scroll through songs with smoothly on a mechanical hard drive haha

Also this theme is amazing, thank you
Gruzzly_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Kyzentun
FFR Player

PS: Everybody should have FastLoad and FastLoadAdditionalSongs turned on. It makes a huge difference in startup time. If you turn those off because of caching problems, post a detailed description on the stepmania.com forums, maybe I can figure out a better solution.
Old 01-9-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
Gruzzly_Bear
FFR Player

Quick question Kyzentun; the grading images for SM5 seems to be a bit messed up. For example, the grades are set up as 100%, 93%, 80% etcetera, but there is no option for 100% with all W1 (if W1 and W2 are weighted the same, as in DP scoring). This means that all AAs show up as AAAs and all AAAs show up as AAAAs, regardless of whether all notes are W1 or not.

Would it be possible to add in a grading option that requires all of W1/Fantastic?

Hopefully what i just wrote isn't too confusing...

EDIT: example image below - scoring has been setup with DP weighting (2/2/1/0/-4)

Last edited by Gruzzly_Bear; 01-9-2016 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Added image for reference
Gruzzly_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The horizontal space right below the song banner in the results screen is now empty aside from the dance pad images? I know I asked for this before but you could add the song mods there. I'm still using a slightly modded version that switches the "TWS:" text you used to have for the song rate which is the bare minimum I require of the results screen.

I still haven't checked the last few updates so the pause thing is new to me. That's actually pretty convenient for setting up the playfield and mods considering how many fine adjustments the theme allows you to do.

In any case I can vouch for theme, it's pretty good if you take your time to configure everything.

Last edited by AutotelicBrown; 01-10-2016 at 12:04 AM..
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #8
Kyzentun
FFR Player

Gruzzly_Bear: That's going to take some work. I'll have to make a system for specifying extra requirements for a grade.

Two problems:
1. I have to support two player mode, so I have to find a symmetrical place to put it for each player. The space between the "Player Best" box and the score report is occupied by the pad image (which you hide), so I can't easily put mods there.
2. On the other side of my work, the concept of mods is getting more amorphous. I do all my regular play in 5.1, where the player can field x/y/z zoom and rotation separately, and change FOV and reverse offset. So I need to figure out a way to describe that concisely without running into overflow problems when someone uses tons of mods.

I normally rely on the reward box that states how long the song took for music rate stuff, but I don't do rate modding as much. So that's something I need to add properly.

I should just redesign the eval screen with a different approach. Scrollable columns for the score report and put mods in a column. Scrollable because four columns is a tight fit. Maybe I should go with half-height text as standard and have two rows of columns. Screen layout is hard. :/

As a quick fix for the rate mod problem, I've added it in the same place as the timing window scale text. So if the timing window scale isn't 1, it'll show TWS with its number, and if the rate mod isn't 1, it'll show Rate with its number.

Last edited by Kyzentun; 01-10-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Kyzentun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
Kyzentun
FFR Player

A couple minor convenience things for edit mode, so you don't have to use the options screen in edit mode. Tap f or g to change the speed mod used when playing. Hold k to change it in large steps.
Tap h to toggle rate between half and normal.
Tap j to toggle clap on and off. I forgot F7 existed.

This is all done in BGAnimations/ScreenEdit Overlay.lua, and it doesn't depend on anything else in my theme, so it should be easy for another themer to copy it into their theme.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzentun View Post
As a quick fix for the rate mod problem, I've added it in the same place as the timing window scale text. So if the timing window scale isn't 1, it'll show TWS with its number, and if the rate mod isn't 1, it'll show Rate with its number.
Nice, one less lua edit when updating the theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzentun View Post
Scrollable columns for the score report and put mods in a column.
Maybe for the mods you can have a fixed size row that fits a few mods (which should be the most common case), which becomes scrollable if someone decides to get fancy.

At least for me, having the rate displayed is more than enough though.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote