Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #21
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Re: Survivor (TV show)

Ah right my bad, I have a habit of giving cirie a ton of credit in general anyways, so that may have clouded my memory. Still, the point stands despite a lack of fact-check
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #22
the sun fan
FFR Player

Yeah, I knew what you meant.
I'm just a no-life nerd

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
Celirra
FFR Player

Actually I thought about it a bit, and I don't think I gave Richard enough credit in that brief best-winners talk; I still retain it's hard to compare, but he's definitely a top tier player. I'd wager there is a good chance he would do very well in a new season if he didn't have his reputation (aka if it was his first game).

also still getting meme'd by internet
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 06-23-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Old 06-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #24
Celirra
FFR Player

Season 1, Episode 2: The Generation Gap

Richard’s comment on how, if Rudy knew he were gay it’d be difficult, is interesting. I think it’s interesting that the whole homosexuality talk in this episode went the way it did, in such a comfortingly calm way. It was a nice change of pace from [insert modern politics], and shedding such a positive light on it is really sweet to me. I really respect how Rudy came around so well on his… not necessarily intolerance, but lack of experience maybe…?... in regards to it, and ended up seeing Richard as more than that. Also, such a good Rudy quote:

“Me and Richard got to be pretty good friends… not in a homosexual way, that’s for sure”

I think Rudy is such a sweetie, and how he doesn’t care about how being friends with… someone so taboo within his social circle is a great trait.

I really wonder how the Ramona story would’ve changed if not for her sickness and such, and also wonder what the producers’ intended purpose for her was.

Man, this Greg first confessional, even if not comedic in nature, is so great. It seems so damn forced and stereotypical, as if he’s just reading off a script. Funny guy. If not for the whole pagong’ing element and such of Borneo, I could see him having the charisma to win S1 or other old seasons. “It causes a bit of friction; a bit of chaffing, if you want to put it in island terms.”

As an aside, there’s more mature humour in this season than I remember and than I’m used to in Survivor. I dig it, I like the largely uncut nature.

On another note, I wonder if BB really evolved from E1 to E2, or if it was just convenient editing. It seems like he’s just… much more negative in E2 than E1. It makes sense for the plotline and such and explains well why he got voted home (editing magic!), but I do wish there wasn’t such a drastic shift from positive to OTT NN.

Ramona: “Oh I’ll swallow everything.” will ya now

BB’s intentional losing strategy, whether or not it was for strategic purposes, is the most potentially strategic decision he made I think. Too bad that he’s candidate numero uno to get voted; imagine if someone more well liked proposed it (eg. to get rid of BB). Imagine how they’d be heralded as such a strategist! Truly the Richard Hatch of Borneo. As much as I dislike the whole tonal shift of BB, his ending positive lean is really nice and more well fleshed out than some… “villains” so to speak of newer seasons, in which it’s a case of once negative, always negative. Complex Personality is always good.

I don’t mind the BB vote-off, he probably would’ve gotten on my nerves later on. I feel like Gervaise would’ve gone home if BB didn’t come off as obnoxious and rude(I doubt Ramona would’ve gone home seeing as people excused her poor work ethic by her well-being, bunch of softies!), and I think Gervaise is maybe.. Lucky he was so under the radar, considering he effectively lost the challenge for Pagong (even if it was largely Stacey’s proficiency at swallowing that was a win for Tagi vs a loss for Pagong), which was pretty important for a lot of them, just barely less important than quality of camp life. I like Gervaise though, so no real complaints anyways.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #25
the sun fan
FFR Player

dead thread
plz not be dead, thread

Last edited by the sun fan; 06-29-2017 at 11:19 PM..
Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #26
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

im a survivor im not gon give up im not gon stop im gon work harder
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #27
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

this is a fun show I watch it with sunfan sometimes and listen to him analyze while I drink beer and nod
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #28
Celirra
FFR Player

Season 1, Episode 3: Quest For Food

100% hindsight I know, but note two things from the opening via the Tagi side:

Firstly, the conflict between Rudy and Stacey is emphasized. This is good to take note of because it shows that either there will be some kind of culmination of the argument, and/or one of the two will go home in this episode (effectively reminding the audience of what possible negatives people have, and reminding them of who should be relevant to them this episode).

Second, the reminded characterization of Richard about him being homosexual. Reinforcing the complex nature of the character is often a good sign to tell who would be a winner in editing (why would they waste effort like that on someone who doesn’t go far/win?), especially when he’s nigh the only person with this kind of focus. Also interesting is the resurgence of the Rudy good-guy angle in regards to Richard. The editing that makes the audience like a character (Rudy here) is a good way (notably in old survivor, less consistent in newer seasons) to also figure out who could potentially be going home. Very rarely do good guys go home over an antagonist (unless it’s season-wide antagonism), which draws away from a chance of Rudy being voted off. Pair this with point number one for obvious connections. That said, Stacey had some positivity via editing for winning the challenge, however I’d consider the tie to the person getting the winner’s edit to outweigh the positivity from winning a challenge; the challenge winner must be emphasized, however social elements do not necessarily have to be.

Honestly, Stacey is more game aware than I remember with the Sue not voting with them analysis. That said, I think both Stacey and Sue did a good job in general with the social/strategy dynamic.

TAPIOCA GONE WILD

Something about Dirk preaching christianity to Richard is really… well, I feel like it’s a good example of something that could have gone much more wrong if the people involved weren’t so mellow.

“You don’t meet many 23 year old guys who are virgins” and then the internet era was brought along. Good ol’ 20th century culture.

Anyways, forget the whole Dirk x Richard comment earlier, I forgot that shit hit the fan later on. The dynamic of Dirk becoming scummy via editing (overly preachy, creepy vibes with Kelly, “pent-up sexual frustration”, and now the anti-homosexuality) and against Richard notably draws another pair for rivalry (much like Rudy x Stacey), and also since the popular player is well-known as such and unlikely to be voted off soon (Richard), it shows poorly for the other end of the rivalry (Dirk).

The SUPERPOLE 2000 is hilarious for so many subtle reasons, but to list one it’s really just how proud of it Sean really is despite the silly name. In regards to Sean, similar notes to Dirk with the antagonism against Richard, plus his illustrated pairing with Dirk furthers both of them looking poor hand-in-hand.

Greg is great, his trap is hilarious and just like Sean being big about his pole, Greg being subtly proud of the trap is hilarious too. “Rats aren’t bad, rats are rats” I really hope Greg has pursued rat culinary skills, he seemed very into it and I wonder if he has a good rat gravy recipe.

The idea of being told about a challenge ahead of time and told to build something in preparation is super cool to me, and I wish it was still done. Sure, there’s balance issues with it, but fuck it, it makes for cool challenges.

Colleen is so cute, ahh. Just an aside but it’d be fun to hang out with her and talk with her.

It’s funny how the idea of talking about who to vote for as mentioned by Richard was an unpopular topic, given how integral to Survivor strategy it is in nigh all other seasons.

The conch of truth is the dumbest thing, sure it’s a cute gimmick but gosh is it dumb. I’m glad it didn’t stick. I know Lord of the Flies is a common comparative line and the conch is a nod to that, but even still… not a fan.

Anyways, not a lot to say about Stacey other than she made the (later on common) mistake of being too pushy while also not being terribly useful. From what I’ve seen, it’s usually a sure sign of an early boot both in old and new seasons, but if they can make it beyond the early game it proves to be a relatively fine approach.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 01-17-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #29
Celirra
FFR Player

As an aside this thread will never die, I'm just really busy and such. Gonna try to get a bunch of watching done this weekend since I'm visiting family and will have nothing better to do (EDIT: had no time after all).

Good to see some people are taking an interest in this!
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 07-2-2017 at 08:56 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #30
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Celirra... Most likely to win a "Survivor" office betting pool.
Old 10-8-2017, 01:38 PM   #31
star-crossed
FFR Player

I started watching Survivor toward the end of All Stars, and have seen many of the seasons after that one. Even from then I know what you mean about Jeff having such a different voice and demeanor. I have been meaning to watch the earlier seasons, but so far have only seen the Amazon, which does not age so well in terms of themes I think, and Thailand, which...did not have the most likable set of people unfortunately. You make the characters on the first season, sound very interesting. I would like to see where you go with this.
star-crossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #32
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
I started watching Survivor toward the end of All Stars, and have seen many of the seasons after that one. Even from then I know what you mean about Jeff having such a different voice and demeanor. I have been meaning to watch the earlier seasons, but so far have only seen the Amazon, which does not age so well in terms of themes I think, and Thailand, which...did not have the most likable set of people unfortunately. You make the characters on the first season, sound very interesting. I would like to see where you go with this.
The first season is an outlier, a lot of older seasons don't hold up as well for me. I think that's because it has the charm and innocence of being first.

I'll get to more once I have motivation sometime
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #33
Celirra
FFR Player

hi this is a thing again

Season 1, Episode 4: Too Little, Too Late?

It was interesting hearing the perspective of everyone concerning the heavy storm, notable standout being Gretchen performing the typical practice of stepping onto a pedestal and assigning blame for the incident. That said, her taking charge did set a precedent and likely won good will rather than the contrary of pushing people away.

Greg and his coconut phone, ahhhhhh. I really shouldn’t focus too much on Greg, but I think it’s really sweet how he was able to be amiable despite his antics. I don’t think it’s so much him taking charge as was alluded to, but moreso just staying in people’s minds and especially in a favourable light.
The Sean being a time waster vs. the others “working hard” is the first use of the heavy contrast trope in Survivor, one that I think is most commonly used to portray people who end up not winning. It’s neat seeing how far back it really goes.

The Jeff interaction with the two representatives is such a deviation from what I’m used to, and something I’ve come to realize is that it shifted the feel of the show from a game show (like what’s common in modern survivor), and more of a survival show or social experiment. The lack of structure adds to it as well of course, but something about Jeff coming off almost as one of them is sweet. I guess people who were able to see past the illusory wall of social experiment / survival are the ones who really thrived and made it far, as is shown.

First formalized talk of alliances come up from Hatch, but interesting is more in the context of people listening vs merely blabbering. Though he does spin it for the context of moving further in the game, it is still on the premise of working with people who actually do work well.

Ramona’s focus on struggling and not adapting well, both earlier with the storm and now pre-challenge used to set up less of a villain send-home, and more of a weakest link style elimination. The whiney attitude post-reward is akin to the same tone as well.

Further alliance talk as well, notably with Sue and Kelly; it’s hard to say if Hatch taking credit is just or not based on what was shown compared to how he talked. Rudy not giving a shit was cute and very genuine, and despite that him not going and spreading the plan speaks volumes of his character (Rudy is great).

Back to Ramona, the complexity of her character being explored further works for her to be more three dimensional, highlighting some positives to add doubt while also arguing against them simultaneously to still keep her negative impression in mind.

“I wouldn’t say we’re cocky, I just think that we’re the best” quotes like this are why I think Colleen is such a cutie. It’s the kind of saying I really enjoy on a day-to-day basis even.

Not gonna lie, I don’t care much for the immunity challenge. It as a whole just isn’t terribly exciting. While I appreciate the old-fashioned feel of it, it somewhat lacks the charm of the rest of them this season, pertaining to “Yeah this skill is useful and would likely be relevant to surviving a deserted island”. The reward challenge was nice to fit that theme, but the IC is a bit like a modern survivor challenge with a lower budget and less exciting television magic. Also, shoutout to Gervaise lacking vigour and care for going all-out unless actually being seen by others.

Jenna being sad about voting someone off, as well as a lot of the rest of Pagong, is sweet and a strong contrast to Tagi being very bureaucratic. Greg almost had the right idea with his Sorry analogy I’d say, and was good to keep it from his team. Hard to say what actually went down of course, because of the lack of any shown footage of camp pre-TC.

Ultimately not a lot to say about Ramona going home, and aside from some preliminary strategy talk on Tagi and Greg with his coconuts, it was a pretty mediocre episode, though most early episodes outside of the first few are weak in all seasons. It did a good job setting more tone to come though, so there’s that.

Plus, Tagi got a spice rack!!! Oh boy!!!!!!!!
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 01-17-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #34
the sun fan
FFR Player

I was recently more excited than I shouldve been to get a spice rack. Lol at Romona going out "Weakest Link style btw."

Sorry u didnt like Amazon or Thailand, star. I love both of them (though I might be one of the only people to say that about Thailand). If you like groups of more savory people, Australia and especially Africa would be good old school seasons for you.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #35
star-crossed
FFR Player

I actually did like the Amazon except that the Battle of the Sexes stuff seems cringey. With Thailand, the winner played a seemingly dominant social game in an unprecedentedly cold manner, which was quite interesting. But the fact that he came so close to losing to who he did, made me not respect his win as much, as with some other winners (I do not actually remember why I disliked the runner-up so much, now, but from memory it is kind of like if the winner of Cagayan nearly lost to the last juror). I did not have much respect for any of the men on Chuay Gahn, from how Ghandia was treated, among other things. I do remember one of the early tribal challenges being really funny from Thailand, for some reason, I think because of people not understanding the challenge and getting penalized repeatedly.
star-crossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #36
the sun fan
FFR Player

the last part is the ATTACK ZONE and that's pretty legendary

Old 01-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
the sun fan
FFR Player

Thailand is a season that most people try to forget; its Jeff Probst's least favorite season, for example. I think it has plenty of redeeming factors that make it more than enjoyable.

Spoilers below btw

Brian is a bad person, at the very least. At the worst, he is a sociopathic, wife-beating, puppy shooting son of a bitch. I lean towards the former. He is probably the worst person morally to win the game of survivor. He didn't give a shit about anyone else personally, and it shows, especially when he was drunk and talked about how it was nice to dumb himself down to everyone else's level for a while. He is a terrible winner and probably the worst part of the season imo.

Grindgate (ted and ghandia's fight) is another low point of the season for a lot of people. In my opinion, its really just a misunderstanding. Neither one should've been cuddling like that when they're both married, Ted did, in fact apologize and appear to mean it. Ghandia accepted this, after a lie spread by Brian got pissed, and we all know what happened. Really, it had the best ending possible, Ghandia being voted out and the issue getting buried. Ghandia shouldn't have attempted to use that for leverage in the game, and she admitted to doing after being voted out.

I've seen some people say that Helen is their least favorite contestant because she worked in the military as a counselor for sexual assualt, believe Ghandia, but bury her feelings to better her position in the game. That's probably one of the hardest things to think about on a watch imo. I think to bring Helen down for something that really she couldn't change; even if she voted with the women, Ghandia would've gone home and her position would've been worse as a result. The fact that she was able to do that apparently so easily is a little bit concerning, but I think she looked at it the same way that most people ought to imo, which is that the whole thing really was a misunderstanding that was blown up.

Sook Jai probably WOAT tribe imo. Robb, kinda Jake and very rarely Shii Ann are the only good parts of that tribe. Robb is hilarious, and has a great ending arc that puts him in contention for, at least, one of the top 3 premergers of all time. Most of the enjoyment from the season comes from Chuay Gahn for me.

Jan, Helen, Clay and occasionally Ted make up a very quality core 5 (since I have to count Brian). Jan is a complete nut, and doesn't hide any of it. The fact that she slid her way into 3rd despite having absolutely no business making it to the merge is one of my favorite things. Despite how zany she was sometimes, you can tell that absolutely none of it is faked, that's actually who she was, and that's what I want from a character. She made good TV by being herself. On a bit of a sad note, she also has one of the saddest confessionals of all time in my opinion, when she loses the final immunity challenge and comes back to camp and talks about how she just couldn't get her mind onto the next level to deal with the pain... I like it a lot more than I should.

Helen is hilarious, straight up. Most people cite the ATTACK ZONE or Robb getting stung by a stingray as their favorite part of the show, for me its Helen yelling at her husband to eat that gross insect AND EAT IT FAST AND EAT IT NOW I NEED YOU TO DO THIS FOR ME. She has a great arc of a character that was beaten by a better player. Through the whole season, everyone from all the merged Sook Jai members to her own husband were telling her that Brian basically had no soul, but she ignored them and believed that he was trustworthy, down to her harsh blindside. Her justified anger at final tribal at knowing that Brian is a terrible person, but that Clay is even worse because he is a racist (which she maintains she heard him say racist things and was not just trying to force a Brian win) is the kind of real dilemma for voting that we just will probably never see again (also apparently Ken maintains Brian said racist stuff too, and after the season I think all jury members have said that they think Clay is an amazing person, whereas no one excepting Tanya of all people still maintains contact with Brian. I think this is definitely a vote that most jury members regret making).

It kills me to know that she'll probably never be brought back (she apparently pissed off production during the airing of all-stars), because she's my #1 pick for a character that should play again.

Clay is often called a goat, and its probably true that once Jake was voted off, he had no chance of winning aside from lightning smiting Brian on day 39. People often use this to say that he's not a very good character as a result of this. That's completely unfair imo. Dude's fucking hilarious. I find him to be the funniest survivor not named Courtney Yates. I get that some of his comments haven't aged well and others are straight up offensive, but that's who he is. If people don't hold is against Rudy when he says some of the things he said, while I know that Clay isn't from the same generation, the fact remains that its who he is and he's not going to change (plus, they are both old at the time of the airing of their seasons).

Ted isn't quite as good. Him edging out Brian in the car reward challenge and getting drunk with Helen are two really good moments though in my opinion. His legacy was definitely hurt by grindgate, and some of that is fair, but I think he's still a decent character on one of the best and most entertaining alliances imo.

I know I'm one of the few people that enjoyed Thailand, and really I guess I'm just expressing how its possible for someone to like the season. One of the best core alliances, some of the funniest moments definitely redeem the season's terrible winner in my mind.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #38
Celirra
FFR Player

Season 1, Episode 5: Pulling Your Own Weight

Why is tapioca so important that it’s even in the episode recap?! Also, while things are off topic, one thing I’m really looking forward to about future seasons is better quality streams and such.

The idea of Greg being referred to as a leader is quite scary to me honestly, great guy and seems smart, but… well he’s just too goofy to be a prominent leader. Not sure if that’s a testament to the weakness of the rest of ‘em, or the strengths(?) of him.

So like, Sean vs Dirk… Like, it does seem Sean is somewhat trying with good intentions, but Dirk is kinda just a lazy ass. That said, they both get lumped together. Also, good ol’ Rudy with the unintentional controversial comments.

Probst doing physical work will never fail to make me happy, and I will comment on it every time. Also I feel like this kind of dangerous activity wouldn’t be allowed on modern Survivor, and kinda rightly so… imagine if a Brandon Hantz had one of those weapons, I’d be pretty nervous.

I wonder if a blowgun is hard to use. It would probably be pretty fun. Also, I’m with Sue on this one, in this kind of scenario I’d like to not be the best at something so there’s less onus on me in the case of failure. Winning gets you little favour, but losing gets you all the vitriol.

Joel throwing that spear is a lot like how I throw a football honestly, I mean I understand the theory behind it but I can never make ‘em go straight. You’d think the ability to throw things like darts, or launch paper airplanes, or even a knowledge of how physics works would help, but it really feels like a crapshoot. That said, I think I’m pretty solid at throwing big sticks if memory of grade school serves me well enough.

Despite that, my man Joel with the clutch spear toss. And I guess good news for the chickens, it probably doesn’t have to fear for being impaled by a spear. Also, every chicken I’ve ever known has been super aggressive when near people, I’m amazed they didn’t put up a fuss about being cradled.

I love how Sue doesn’t even care about the fruit or the chickens, and only wanted to beat a guy on TV at spear throwing. Can hardly blame her honestly, pride is more important than food.

Greg the Bachelor Bird, joined by Colleen eh, yo props to my man Greg though. And I love that Colleen is just super upfront about the whole ordeal and Greg completely denies anything. In all honesty, I bet it would be fun being romantic on a deserted island, if it weren’t for the other people too etc.

YO that snake would be pissed I bet, Richard is a bigger man than I ever would be. I’d hardly touch a caterpillar, let alone a deadly snake.

Probably the worst immunity challenge in Survivor, not a lot to say but props to Gervaise. Throwback to earlier when I said I’d hate to be the best at something; what happened to Kelley is a big part of why, I can relate to how rubbish she feels.

Dirk really looks like a dirk in that yellow jacket, like I know it’s hard to pull off something like that but he looked quite silly especially.

“I can’t think myself into being more effective” what a quote that is, good job Dirk. One thing I’ll say is that the editing isn’t even super obvious this episode, like all that’s known is it’s likely Dirk or Sean. If I didn’t already know, it’d be a coinflip, with maybe a bit of special priority to Dirk because of him being unwell and such too. I think it’s really sweet how much Sean likes Rudy actually, I didn’t expect it at all from what’s been shown, but props to him regardless. It’s sweet seeing a break of character like that.

Pretty glad this episode is done, definitely very underwhelming. As Sunfan said though, all uphill from here this season.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 01-31-2018 at 11:39 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #39
the sun fan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
“I can’t think myself into being more effective”.
H O L Y

Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #40
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
H O L Y
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi