Old 12-9-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: I want to make another pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
the only objectivity is the guidelines i set based on my subjectivity

it's a guideline established from over a decade of veterans playing. it's not an objective standard by any means, but is a way we've enjoyed making and playing files for a long time. nobody is forced to agree with it, but the expert players in general have enjoyed this type of file, despite us being a minority of overall sm players.

PR does exist in the sense that there is a sense of "playing" a song if the scale is relevant to the notes being played. i don't hit b#2 on a piano higher up than c#3.

that's about all I'm gonna say about it
Fair enough.

I do though believe that Stepmania should be moving forward, not back. The assertion that veterans enjoy a certain type of file is a biased one. I am a veteran of over a decade, and I know others as well who are enjoying the dump files currently being made more than any other file-type of earlier years.

I think you should take a look at some of the technical dumps that are being made by artists like xay and porky pink--I could even send you some I could make a case for. Dumps are not out of sync throw-aways anymore. (not saying you hold this opinion) but I know people who do, and it just isn't correct.

I'm not against another ODI---but I'd like to see a new imagining where technical dumps are included.
Some songs beg for more emotional depth than what can be given with a completely technical approach. As soon as "stepmania purists" can understand this, we can start having new, quality packs for this game.

If you are putting together a book of poetry, do you want every poem to be of the same form?
no. all the poems should be good, and should add to the flavor of the collection. (THIS SHOULD NOT BE BASED OFF SONG CHOICE ALONE)

I'm not telling you what to do with your pack,
but if you are going to name it STEPMANIA 2017*****************

I'm telling you what players are going to want.

Last edited by lofty rhino; 12-9-2016 at 12:43 PM..
lofty rhino is offline   Reply With Quote