Old 08-1-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Jide
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Post Any advice for a numpad player?

Uhmm, hi everyone. I doubt anyone here knows me as I hardly ever visit the forums, but anyway, I require some advice!

I have been playing this game on my numpad keys (4 8 2 6) from the start and I have always liked this set-up. Until say, a couple of weeks ago, it didn't give me any problems. But now I am having certain.. difficulties. I can FC quite a few level 9(C) songs, and pretty much all level 8(VD) songs and lower. The best AAA I've got is a level 6 one, and I think I can move up to level 7 AAAs with a bit of effort.

My PA on the higher levels (8, 9+) leaves much to be desired, however.. as well as that, I'm having trouble FC'ing very fast songs and songs of level 10 and above. I've been trying to get better at those songs for the past couple of weeks and I'm slowly progressing. Really slowly.

As I've never heard of anyone else using the numpad keys, I'm starting to wonder if this set-up can bring me any further, or if I should switch to a more common style like spread. Would you guys recommend this? And if so, what would be the appropriate way to switch? (play some games on the numpad, then some games on switch, or switch only). Oh and if there are any other numpad players out there I'd be pleased to hear your tips and tricks as well

Thanks in advance.
Jide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
cry4eternity
~ added for cuteness
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to cry4eternity
Default Re: Any advice for a numpad player?

I'm sure most if not all recommendations you'll get will be to switch to spread.

If you're trying to be the best you can, then not playing spread is like crippling your FFR ability. Personally, it took me until a year after I started FFR to switch to spread, and I didn't get any AAAs until I switched.

The area you're at is a very common wall. There are many spread-friendly and other playstyle not-so-friendly patterns in songs that are difficulty 9+.

I believe the best way to switch would be cold turkey (that's what I did). Just start playing some easier songs with your spread setup (I play zx./) and get a feel for it. It is so fast to learn spread it's insane.

If you haven't already, you may want to try building up some speedmods as well. 1.75x or 2.0x is usually ideal.

I'm retired
cry4eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
roundb0x
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

that seems pretty awkward

i play 1,2,6,8 on numpad with the keyboard tilted because the rest of my SM keyboard is broken, maybe that would be easier to get used to
roundb0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
STD_Sappy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to STD_Sappy Send a message via MSN to STD_Sappy

There are hybrid players...not too many, but they exist, which play Index and Spread depending on the song. I don't recommend it. It's not too fun, because you have to be practicing 2 types of styles, and get better at both slowly..as opposed to one. If you play 2,4,6,8, and it's one handed...that is an awkward set up (If it floats your boat then by all means, lol). If it's with 2 hands, I think it's fine...I used to be an index player, but then switched to spread seeing as my abilities to certain songs didn't reach my satisfaction. It's your call, really, but practicing spread in the long run is more rewarding..in my opinion.

Sappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
He's Sappy.... He deserves his own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Amen.
Because he's so well known. ;]
Lol, I love these people. <3
STD_Sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

I used to play numberpad, but I just moved my left hand out to the letter keys to give it some space. You can just do that so you can stay somewhat on the numberpad. Or just mess around till you find a comfortable one. Numberpad playing seems kinda cramping, you just need to find on that suits you with more room to play with.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

I play either QW86, or 4286 just like you.

Keep at your style, you'll get better at it,,
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Nightfirecat
...back from the dead.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Nightfirecat

Maybe try going into Notepad and hit all 4 of those keys at the same time. The problem might be that you just have a bad keyboard that doesn't allow you to press more than 2/3 keys at a time.
Otherwise, just keep trying - as you play harder and harder songs, you'll slowly get more and more speed and reading ability. If speed is your problem, try playing very fast, stream songs. If reading is the problem, just play songs that are FMO because of technicality, or because of specific parts. Such as piano etude (demon fire), most of the easier FMOs in dance 2, etc.

[My Profile] | [My Music] | [Play FFR] | [My Photobucket] | [My DeviantArt]

AAAs: 210 (186+7+17)
Best AAAs: Vertex BETA, Fighting for Control, Nova Pulser
Recent AAAs: {Firestorm}, Dazzling Destiny, Hellbeat v2p

2nd place in 3rd Official Tournament
1st place in Jugglin/Jteh's 1st Tournament
Nightfirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Assuming that the problem is hitting hands/quad arrows, you should try to find a key configuration that registers all 4 keys when left-down-up-right is hit. Pressing all four arrow keys on my keyboard does not register, but the setup (left down up right) cvm, and m,./ allows me to hit quads.

This is what I'm talking about:

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 08-1-2009 at 07:09 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

It was really hard finding a comfortable position for my left hand. Something like ZX was too close together and QS was too far apart. Eventually I found that if I tilted the left side of the keyboard away and used something like NM it would actually be comfortable. Then my right hand could just use numpad2 and numpad 6 and all of the frustrations of not being able to get a good position went away.

So you could still stay half-numpad like that.
Old 08-1-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1

I've been using the arrow pad since i started and i remember doing a thread like that where everyone said spread is beter blah blah blah... Spread is not necessarilly better, it depends on how your keyboard is made and how comfortable you are with playing in the middle of your keyboard and hitting other keys when u play.

On my G15 keyboard, if i hit another key while i play it stops to register my keys and i die. So thats why for me spread is not a possibility.

My point is im now better than most people who ever told me spread was better and for this reason i cant tell you to change your key configuration. What you should do is learn what patterns you have problem with using your current configuration and try to play songs that make you improve on them. Personnally i cant do right handed trills, so you'll see me play bb revenge and crap songs like that everyday just to get better at those. Also, I removed all the useless keys that were near the arrow pad so i never die during a song cause i hit another arrow, consider doing the same if it happens to you :P. For more tips u can always go on my wall.
wargasm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargasm1 View Post
On my G15 keyboard, if i hit another key while i play it stops to register my keys and i die. So thats why for me spread is not a possibility.
Completely wrong. I have a G15, just change the keys. I've never had any problem with any setup.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-2-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Jide
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Wow, thanks for the advice guys!

I play with two hands and four fingers, one for each arrow. My biggest problem is righthanded trills as well.. But I suppose I will get better at those with some more practice. Oh, and I use speedmod 1.75x.

Anyway, I think I'll keep using this set-up until I get eliminated in the official tournament and then I'll give a set-up like zx./ or nm26 a go.

Thanks everobody!
Jide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-2-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
~Zero~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ~Zero~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Zero~

Am I the only one who actually played spread using the arrow keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
More like Tier ~0~
~Zero~ is offline   Reply With Quote