Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: Saffron - The Ultimate Offline FFR Engine

bump cus I'm waiting for this to hit github

- Tosh 2014

Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #22
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Wait a... WHAT!?

Dude, this is the best news I've ever heard. I mean I know this thread was about QQ's stuff, but damn, R^3 going open source is literally the best thing.

I'm ain't no programmer, but this ought to have SOMEONE who wants to give it a go try to add some cool and new stuff to the game.

Thank you Velocity for supplying the source and I eagerly wait for exciting things! Hopefully!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #23
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Okay, before everyone celebrates, can I just point out that I didn't hear anything about posting the R3 source code before it was done, and then... it happened... I also haven't been a part of any discussion about making the game engine open source.

Just flipping a switch like this isn't the best way to encourage development. The question of who R3 belongs to has not been resolved.

The community working together with open communication is very important to the survival of this site. The recent improvements to the website were the result of solid teamwork and leadership, which is far from the spirit in which the R3 code was released. Something like this really should have been discussed. As far as I am aware, it was not.
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
gold stinger
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

While it may have not been discussed it appears that the other developers are leaning towards the approval of it.

Don't know what arcnmx has in mind considering he and Velocity worked on R^3 together, but I'm hoping it leads to the project being thrown on github (with copyrighted parts of it withheld of course to prevent infringement against music authors and such).

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 07-14-2015 at 08:13 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #25
gold stinger

Default Re: R^3 Open-Source Discussion Thread

discussion in qqwref's 'Saffron Offline Engine' thread regarding the code for the R^3 engine that was recently made public by Velocity, and all the discussion regarding it was moved to its own thread. Mostly to prevent the discussion of qqwref's thread to be about the R^3 source code rather than the Saffron offline engine.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 07-14-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #26
Velocity
Doing the wrong thing the right way since 2010.
Site and Game Administrator
AdministratorRetired StaffDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet63 View Post
Okay, before everyone celebrates, can I just point out that I didn't hear anything about posting the R3 source code before it was done, and then... it happened... I also haven't been a part of any discussion about making the game engine open source.
R^3 was always planned to be open source once I felt it was complete enough or I felt like I could no longer contribute towards the goals I initially setup for the game engine. As it were, the engine itself was mainly a collaboration between myself and arc, of which development of R^3 basically stalled before you joined the "development" team. As it were, since you weren't part of the game engine team, you weren't included in the seldom discussions that happened between Zageron, Arcnmx and I, whenever that even happened.

Quote:
Just flipping a switch like this isn't the best way to encourage development. The question of who R3 belongs to has not been resolved.
Development of the Velocity began in the same way Saffron was created, take the source of already existing engine, (though my initial source was the offline engine when FFR was offline for a year), edit and created a bunch of features that qqwerf wanted to see in an offline engine. Development on the game engines only exist because someone wants to add to the engine for either their own enjoyment, or to add features long missing. (Filters anyone?). While older engines are written in AS2 and are quite easy to alter, AS3 files are slightly harder to alter and a bit more restrictive, unless you're arc and hack MP and other things into the game.

The question of ownership on R^3 is simply mine and arcs, the engine doesn't belong to FFR, it simply plays FFR content and given a space on FFR to run. The code belongs to those who contributed to the project or parts were used from other open-source library, since nothing was reused from the engines owned by FFR.

Quote:
The community working together with open communication is very important to the survival of this site. The recent improvements to the website were the result of solid teamwork and leadership, which is far from the spirit in which the R3 code was released. Something like this really should have been discussed. As far as I am aware, it was not.
Recent improvements to the site have been mostly between 1-2 people, depending on when and what the feature is. The last notable improvement was achievements which was created back at the end of April, since then Prawn has been completely MIA, with little to no other development. Before then leaderboards were created by Prawn others whom I can't remember.

I did release the code in good faith that others would continue the project and go far beyond when the result I released it in, though nothing stops them from simply altering it for themselves and never giving back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
While it may have not been discussed it appears that the other developers are leaning towards the approval of it.

Don't know what arcnmx has in mind considering he and Velocity worked on R^3 together, but I'm hoping it leads to the project being thrown on github (with copyrighted parts of it withheld of course to prevent infringement against music authors and such).
I have talked to Arc after the release, mostly to apologize about release it before asking him for his permission. We have talked about releasing the source at some point since that was always the goal for when/if I left. While it won't be going up right away, the plan is to release it at some point after we dig through the project and do a small bit of cleanup and remove things that we don't want public. For copyright things, the engine doesn't do much authentication for requesting content and is mainly done server side, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #27
blanky!
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to blanky!

I've always wanted to contribute to the R^3 codebase in some way or another (namely, fixing the 30 FPS limit because anything above a certain speed looks like complete and utter trash). So today I decided to end my laziness, install Flex and FlashDevelop IDE (Flash too expensive) and start tracing through the detritus of code that Velocity provided in the OP.

And boy, is it ugly.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #28
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #29
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Yeah, but Flash