Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-1-2012, 09:59 PM   #241
omgitznpv
cohoooooon
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to omgitznpv Send a message via MSN to omgitznpv
Default Re: FFR Community Pack Summer 2012 (Submissions Open)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
npv step something obscure like ossuary again
when did you get that file o_o is it released or something?
omgitznpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2012, 10:26 PM   #242
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitznpv View Post
are there updates somewhere?
If you want to be up to date with simfile packs, check out my post here with a cohesive listing and links.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...41&postcount=8

I'll summarize everything that has happened after you left in point form:
>DCP2 merged with FFRCP3 which then merged into Xoon 5
>Light Chancellors were created and I lead it for 3 megapacks
>I got tired of all the elitist bullshit that was driving away people and basically yelled and bitched at everyone. In the process, I disbanded the Light Chancellors and destroyed almost all remnants of elitism created by the Chancellors. Basically the Chancellor era took SM into the wrong direction and I needed to do something about it before it got way out of hand.
>More simfiles and packs are being pumped out than ever before. SM isn't dead and anybody that says it is is full of shit and doesn't pay attention to anything around them.
>The real issue is that more people are leaving the game than starting it. To solve this, we need to prioritize getting new people into the game.

>People have begun to chart multiple difficulties after I started enforcing the rule with the FFRCP Season packs. The concept of having beginner friendly charts isn't completely foreign anymore.
>I've also enforced the usage of the Notes Per Second (NPS) difficulty rating system since LCP3. It's a much more accurate and objective way to rate difficulties than any other scale—the scale the Chancellors used is complete and utter bullshit and is the dumbest thing to ever come to mind.
>Megapacks don't really need a panel of judges anymore once I started doing the sole judge gig since LCP3. I'm extremely open-minded to stepping styles/choices and am reasonably lax. Sole judge work allows me to avoid any sort of judging drama and I can work at my own pace without people dragging me behind if someone on the panel disappears like it happens with every pack in existence.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 06-1-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2012, 10:37 PM   #243
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

oh hey its npv

Hmm...I'd finish stepping Rhapsody in Blue but I've hit my submission cap for this pack...perhaps I should step it for the next one. Seeing the previous posts made me think of that, since bmah is right the quality of files has certainly improved over the years since people step more ambitious stuff now than they used to, on a general basis. I do as well - I almost exclusively step jazz and metal now. :3

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2012, 10:38 PM   #244
omgitznpv
cohoooooon

thanks for the comprehensive summary. i'm considering a bit more getting involved in the community again, but i don't know if i'll want to/have the time to do so yet. we'll see.

yeah i noticed that with the whole chancellor thing that it was starting to become a smaller circle (which i didn't mind at the time but in retrospect appears bad).
Old 06-1-2012, 10:42 PM   #245
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission View Post
oh hey its npv

Hmm...I'd finish stepping Rhapsody in Blue but I've hit my submission cap for this pack...perhaps I should step it for the next one. Seeing the previous posts made me think of that, since bmah is right the quality of files has certainly improved over the years since people step more ambitious stuff now than they used to, on a general basis. I do as well - I almost exclusively step jazz and metal now. :3
Please finish Rhapsody in Blue lol, I've had plans to start a file for it but never got around to it because it's too long.
Old 06-1-2012, 10:47 PM   #246
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
Please finish Rhapsody in Blue lol, I've had plans to start a file for it but never got around to it because it's too long.
I cut it down to about 4 minutes - I can send you the cut song if you'd like to have a listen. It's a recording from what I'm pretty sure was the late 1930s, but it was a professional quality recording - even for the time it sounds pretty damn good (think of Bugle Call Rag, except without the occasional bits of static and that one volume spike). I don't care that it's a live recording - I've gotten pretty good at stepping those (remember Cantaloupe Island?)

This is the source video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wePM0...eature=related

EDIT: I take that back, the recording is even better than Bugle Call Rag. It's the best I could find, really - one reason I decided to step that specific recording.

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen

Last edited by Bynary Fission; 06-1-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Old 06-1-2012, 10:50 PM   #247
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Blah, my plan was to step the Fantasia 2000 version lol
Old 06-1-2012, 11:08 PM   #248
omgitznpv
cohoooooon

i hope rhapsody in blue turns out well, that is a great piece, and i love the original piano roll.
Old 06-1-2012, 11:24 PM   #249
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

It will. If you've played some of my other jazz simfiles (unlikely) then you'll get an idea of how it will be stepped. And relax - I've had a lot of practice since I submitted my crap to FFRCP2 or whatever it was that you judged and hated, rofl (2008? damn those were the days). I left in a lot of piano stuff, but also some of the orchestral bits that I felt best expressed the song, though given the 9-minute length there were still some bits that had to be cut even though I would have preferred they had stayed in. Oh well.

Old 06-1-2012, 11:41 PM   #250
Lynn.
FFR Player

sent

edit : GD, could you plz reduce the size of my CDTitle 120x120 to 80x80? I don't have any software to do it now.

Last edited by Lynn.; 06-1-2012 at 11:50 PM..
Lynn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2012, 12:05 AM   #251
BeatofIke
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
I still need to submit something...fuc lmao
^ This
BeatofIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2012, 12:54 AM   #252
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn. View Post
edit : GD, could you plz reduce the size of my CDTitle 120x120 to 80x80? I don't have any software to do it now.
no prob

Old 06-2-2012, 07:00 AM   #253
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

if you really want to get new players in, you need to have 4 chart songs and release on stepmania.com and other popular sm-based websites.

also quality over quantity. people have gotten much better at making files, but that doesn't mean things should be more lenient either. I'd rather be able to play 30 gems than 60 average files (i'm guilty of sending these kinds of files all the time hehu)

if a fully charted solo pack can get nearly 2k downloads, imagine how well a fully charted 4key pack would do
Old 06-2-2012, 12:54 PM   #254
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

goal would be to cut down on "megapacks" and stress quality instead of just "oih **** it i need a file in this uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let's get wasted and step minedumps"

not pointing any fingers
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2012, 01:02 PM   #255
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

good

bcuz you'd be pointing at yourself lol owned
Old 06-2-2012, 01:13 PM   #256
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
if you really want to get new players in, you need to have 4 chart songs and release on stepmania.com and other popular sm-based websites.

also quality over quantity. people have gotten much better at making files, but that doesn't mean things should be more lenient either. I'd rather be able to play 30 gems than 60 average files (i'm guilty of sending these kinds of files all the time hehu)

if a fully charted solo pack can get nearly 2k downloads, imagine how well a fully charted 4key pack would do
Or a pad pack solely based on one obscure shmup series can get over 2k dl's :V

PS: I always like to chart fully (last remote was just an exception)
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2012, 01:24 PM   #257
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
>I've also enforced the usage of the Notes Per Second (NPS) difficulty rating system since LCP3. It's a much more accurate and objective way to rate difficulties than any other scale
cool, I was just gonna ask how to rate my charts. is there an automatic NPS calculator out there or anything like that?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2012, 01:27 PM   #258
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

average NPS + FudgeFactor(TM)
Old 06-2-2012, 01:36 PM   #259
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
4 chart songs
Asking for way too much out of people in the community. I'm factoring in how lazy and half-assed people are with easier difficulties (even I'm guilty for doing it). It's hard enough to get people to make an extra chart but asking for 4 is overkill.

Ignoring the fact that only a small group of people play and step for solo, Solo Rulz 2 is the perfect example of what happens when you're this demanding of charts. And I don't have the time or generosity to fill in easier difficulties for every file like Solo Monogatari and Solord State Squad.

Quote:
and release on stepmania.com
Until stepmania.com's grudge against FFR ever gets put behind them, no one there will support any packs that has FFR in the name. Sure, the packs would get more downloads, but the fact remains that there exist a good number of people there who hate the FFR community's guts, especially after all that dumbass forum raiding shenanigans done in the past.

As much as nobody wants to acknowledge the fact that QED is basically the most prolifically known simfile author, he also has the largest fan base and insulting him insults all his followers. After all the bashing shenanigans in the past, people still hold grudges and hate FFR's guts.

Quote:
also quality over quantity.
Where do you draw the line?

This is a debate that can drag on forever. I've been observing both the simfile and player sides of SM closely for years, so I can more or less pick out which files people would actually play—that's exactly what I've been doing for every Season pack, if you haven't already realized. If certain individuals don't find files "good" (*cough* Chancellor elitist opinions *cough*), you should always remember that someone else will like it.

Prioritizing quality over quantity is taking a step back into the Chancellor era, quite frankly. Even if it was still me being sole judge, ultimately it's going to narrow itself back down to a tiny circle, which is something I would avoid at all costs. The Season packs were never about quantity over quality, it was always based around diversity to appeal to every player in the community. The fact that I get flooded with submissions every time I do these packs is why they end up being huge. Until I start enforcing a submissions limit rule per simfile author (including aliases), the packs will always be large in size regardless.

I don't want to start DRaMa or heated debates of sorts but I wanted to bring to light that the current situation isn't as easy to solve as it seems. I can make a ton of progress if the individuals that submit put in the necessary effort to aim towards the "goal" of getting new players in, but until then these packs aren't going to change much unless I enforce new rules and/or standards.

And I already do realize, it's impossible to achieve this "goal" until stepmania.com is made -the- epicenter for everything SM. I've already expressed way too many ****ing times that it's incredibly difficult to start playing this game when you have so many communities divided amongst each other, and creating a new community that has everything isn't going to be of any success until the proper affiliations with stepmania.com are settled and made.

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 06-2-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 06-2-2012, 01:41 PM   #260
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Yay for more newbie questions, but what's a fudge factor?
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote