Old 02-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #21
dadcop2
FFR Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 222
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
i bet you're a real hit with the ladies
SHIT'S WEAK
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #22
Tarlis
FFR Player
 
Tarlis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 22
Send a message via AIM to Tarlis Send a message via Yahoo to Tarlis Send a message via Skype™ to Tarlis
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Power is moving energy.

Speech is Emotional Vocal Conveyance.

Responsibility is the ability to be responsive in an emotional Intelligent way.
Tarlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #23
Not devonin
FFR Player
 
Not devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 107
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Didn't see this actually had responses at the time, though that bump there is sort of "wtf" but on the off chance it comes back up:

Quote:
How exactly did Jeff Bezos get his wealth? Did he go around stealing from people and getting away with it? Or did a large number of voluntary interactions happen in which both parties considered themselves better off for having closed the deal? I think the latter is the case.
Actually yes, he went around thoroughly exploiting the labour of people who generate him billions of dollars and receive such little compensation that they're also on food stamps, or live in their cars, or aren't allowed to go to the bathroom on shift and have to piss in jars.

You can't earn a billion dollars, let alone a trillion dollars. You can only exploit the labour of other people and take their value for yourself.
Not devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2020, 12:16 AM   #24
ledwix
Giant Pi Operator
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Age: 29
Posts: 2,874
Send a message via AIM to ledwix Send a message via Yahoo to ledwix
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not devonin View Post
Actually yes, he went around thoroughly exploiting the labour of people who generate him billions of dollars and receive such little compensation that they're also on food stamps, or live in their cars, or aren't allowed to go to the bathroom on shift and have to piss in jars.

You can't earn a billion dollars, let alone a trillion dollars. You can only exploit the labour of other people and take their value for yourself.
Who's to say you can't? What if I said you can't earn a million?

Exploitation implies their labor is being used unfairly, which invokes the question of: relative to what?

If they're being used unfairly for labor, then they should stop being used unfairly for labor and get a relatively better occupation where they do not feel so exploited.

And if such an occupation isn't available, then they can (a) work on their skills until it does become available so that they can change career paths, (b) negotiate with their bosses or otherwise increase their productivity so that a raise or promotion results, (c) leave the company and take a similar job with better pay/benefits at another company, or (d) accept that they are not willing to better themselves, negotiate, or leave and look for a new job, and thus accept that the situation they are in is already as fair as possible.

Since it is possible to perform one of those options at any time, there is really no excuse but to say that a voluntary contract of employment (at will, etc.) is an admission that such an arrangement is the best possible way that a person has chosen to currently utilize their labor in exchange for money.

Who is to decide what is or isn't a fair net worth? It is arbitrary to place a cut-off point, and price controls tend to create shortages. So if you're willing to accept a less productive world in which there are shortages, lack of innovation, and a lower average quality of life for everybody, then I suppose it is a good idea to place limits. But in a world of exponential fractals, it's hard to say that any particular individual shall be barred of their property rights at some arbitrary cut-off, through the use of force and threat of violence directed collectively at those whose monetary worth we are jealous of.

Sometimes, expansionist government policies create the very shortages and food stamp dependencies we are trying to stamp out.

Last edited by ledwix; 04-1-2020 at 12:18 AM..
ledwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #25
Ghobor
FFR Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Age: 21
Posts: 5
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

I totally agree with you.
Ghobor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #26
SputnikOwns
The Frog
FFR Veteran
 
SputnikOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 137
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

If you value your time more than the more you're being paid then you should obviously quit.
__________________
SputnikOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #27
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 23
Posts: 2,068
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikOwns View Post
If you value your time more than the more you're being paid then you should obviously quit.
few people have the luxury to just quit a job and job hunt until they find something they believe they're suited for.

y'all gotta understand here, employees of major corporations, at least the ones on the lower rungs, are often living paycheck to paycheck and don't have much wiggle room for negotiation. if they do, their and their families' lives are at stake

talking points like this one come from a place of privilege.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post
Heh never underestimate the power of free time
boredom
wanting to get to know you all
true love
a sense of community
blackmail
weekend warriors
my desire to know everyone's dirty lil secrets


our mutual desire to be funny bois and gurls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
There comes a point where we have to ask our selves, "do we really want to deal with that, desperate as we are?"

I think we can all agree on the answer, yeah?
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #28
SputnikOwns
The Frog
FFR Veteran
 
SputnikOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 137
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
few people have the luxury to just quit a job and job hunt until they find something they believe they're suited for.

y'all gotta understand here, employees of major corporations, at least the ones on the lower rungs, are often living paycheck to paycheck and don't have much wiggle room for negotiation. if they do, their and their families' lives are at stake

talking points like this one come from a place of privilege.
So you're saying they value the pay more than their time. Good, they shouldn't quit their job. It's not 'privilege', it's common sense.
__________________
SputnikOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #29
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 23
Posts: 2,068
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikOwns View Post
So you're saying they value the pay more than their time. Good, they shouldn't quit their job. It's not 'privilege', it's common sense.
no i'm not. i'm saying they could value their time more than the pay, but even if they do, they're not in a position to change that
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post
Heh never underestimate the power of free time
boredom
wanting to get to know you all
true love
a sense of community
blackmail
weekend warriors
my desire to know everyone's dirty lil secrets


our mutual desire to be funny bois and gurls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
There comes a point where we have to ask our selves, "do we really want to deal with that, desperate as we are?"

I think we can all agree on the answer, yeah?
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #30
klimtkiller
D7 Elite Keysmasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
klimtkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 219
Send a message via Skype™ to klimtkiller
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

what do you think peterson's beliefs are?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasAsquidOnce View Post
Fantasticone I love your name. The name i hate the most is Klimtkiller, cuz I read it as like, climpt - killer, and climpt is just a gross sound, like an STD or something. Klimt
klimtkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #31
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~
 
DaBackpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: unlikely
Age: 27
Posts: 901
Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
what do you think peterson's beliefs are?
It's been a while since I made this thread and I know he's not doing well lately so I've kind of been ignoring him. However, from memory:

I really do think he sincerely believes in a lot of what he's saying. He DOES seem to follow the Jungian paradigm (almost to a T... way more than is accepted by the scientific community at large). I really do think he believes a lot of what he wrote in "12 Rules." I also think he (at least at as within his capacity as a therapist) DOES derive sincere satisfaction and pleasure from helping people, especially disenfranchised young men. This is perfectly valuable.

Things get a little muddy when you consider his position as a celebrity and pop-science leader.

I feel like a lot of people in his position compromise their integrity to appeal to more people. (Grifting) I'd need to look at some of his claims but Peterson almost certainly has done this and had profited off of it. (Not totally sure, but I do not totally think "12 Rules" falls in this category.)

One immediately obvious logical failure is in how he applies the basic tenets of Jungian thought. Jung never really dove into psychologies that emerge from actual SYSTEMIC, OPPRESSIVE societal structures. Most of it essentially treats all psychology under the same umbrella, which whitewashes almost all cases where "pick yourself up by your bootstraps!" logic flatly cannot work.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #32
klimtkiller
D7 Elite Keysmasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
klimtkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 219
Send a message via Skype™ to klimtkiller
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
It's been a while since I made this thread and I know he's not doing well lately so I've kind of been ignoring him. However, from memory:

I really do think he sincerely believes in a lot of what he's saying. He DOES seem to follow the Jungian paradigm (almost to a T... way more than is accepted by the scientific community at large). I really do think he believes a lot of what he wrote in "12 Rules." I also think he (at least at as within his capacity as a therapist) DOES derive sincere satisfaction and pleasure from helping people, especially disenfranchised young men. This is perfectly valuable.

Things get a little muddy when you consider his position as a celebrity and pop-science leader.

I feel like a lot of people in his position compromise their integrity to appeal to more people. (Grifting) I'd need to look at some of his claims but Peterson almost certainly has done this and had profited off of it. (Not totally sure, but I do not totally think "12 Rules" falls in this category.)

One immediately obvious logical failure is in how he applies the basic tenets of Jungian thought. Jung never really dove into psychologies that emerge from actual SYSTEMIC, OPPRESSIVE societal structures. Most of it essentially treats all psychology under the same umbrella, which whitewashes almost all cases where "pick yourself up by your bootstraps!" logic flatly cannot work.
yeah i can agree that the whole 'pick yourself up by your bootstraps' mentality, while useful, doesn't work for everyone in the face of overriding circumstances.

that said, from what i've seen of him, although there's stuff i disagree with, he doesn't have any 'evil' beliefs, and has legitimately helped people. I think he was using lobsters to show that hierarchies exist in nature and isn't something that has been invented by our human society, which is true. I don't think he was trying to condone 'systems of oppression'
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasAsquidOnce View Post
Fantasticone I love your name. The name i hate the most is Klimtkiller, cuz I read it as like, climpt - killer, and climpt is just a gross sound, like an STD or something. Klimt

Last edited by klimtkiller; 06-29-2020 at 09:22 AM..
klimtkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #33
SputnikOwns
The Frog
FFR Veteran
 
SputnikOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 137
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

I don't really buy into the whole idea of there being universal archetypes etc. that he's always talking about. I think he's helped plenty of people find meaning in life, though. He's a good man.

'Systematic oppression' is such a useless term. On a personal level, to believe that everything is beyond your control is to sabotage yourself. Instead, focus on what you can control and do something about it. And if you actually want to address something in the system that you think is unjust, then you should identify it specifically. If you're too vague about it, you're intentionally obscuring the actual issues that you want to be resolved. I'm not sure why victimhood is such a currency these days.
__________________
SputnikOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #34
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran
 
j-rodd123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Posts: 3,691
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikOwns View Post
So you're saying they value the pay more than their time. Good, they shouldn't quit their job. It's not 'privilege', it's common sense.
huh? it's common sense to stay at the shitty paying job if it is necessary to pay bills/rent etc. until a better paying position is secured. especially in certain industries where finding a relevant job might be harder. im one of the privileged ones to never have been in this position luckily but saying "if you value your time more than getting paid you should obviously quit" is obviously incredibly stupid advice for a large percent of the working class.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #35
SputnikOwns
The Frog
FFR Veteran
 
SputnikOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 137
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
huh? it's common sense to stay at the shitty paying job if it is necessary to pay bills/rent etc. until a better paying position is secured. especially in certain industries where finding a relevant job might be harder. im one of the privileged ones to never have been in this position luckily but saying "if you value your time more than getting paid you should obviously quit" is obviously incredibly stupid advice for a large percent of the working class.
Well obviously they wouldn't quit if they need the money, that's my point.
__________________
SputnikOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #36
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran
 
j-rodd123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Posts: 3,691
Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

ah ok my bad. your first statement just seemed kind of dumb which prompted funny's response. like a lot of people value their time a lot more than what they're getting paid, but don't have the ability to quit
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution