Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-5-2014, 03:33 AM   #41
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Immortality and You

Immortality would be more of a punishment than a good thing.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 07:08 AM   #42
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
We're still centuries/millenia away from [thinking about] relocating to another planet
We have the technology already, and the resources already. The problem isn't civilisation, it's the people IN the civilisation.

Just when you think maybe we're going to get our shit together, a first-world country invades another sovereign nation. We're supposed to be better than this shit.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 08:41 AM   #43
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Didn't NASA like lose its funding or something recently?

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl View Post
Is that so? I personally agree that interference towards other civilizations and their culture is unwarranted, but on the other hand, history has shown us that sometimes acting towards our self-interests yields promising results. For instance, due to interaction among countries, the human race has access to telephones, structurally sound houses, and education from countless viewpoints. Exploiting resources and exhausting our materials has led to many prosperous outcomes too such as medicine and immunizations to help prolong life, architecture for giving human beings shelters, and work places that usually last for decades.
All of these things use up an incredible amount of energy and resources to produce, many of which will be depleted within the next few decades. Also, the waste by-products that humans leave behind will only continue to grow. Computers are able to store more data and are twice as fast every two years, but this trend will reach it's limit sooner than you think. What happens if we cannot integrate quantum computers before the silicon age is no more? Although we seem to be bettering our situation on this planet from a technological point of view, by continuing to blaze forward without much of a glance in the rear-view mirror, we're in a race against time to find solutions to all of the problems we cause as a result of our hunger for new and better things.

I could even ask a silly question from a philosophical perspective and ask, what defines quality of life and happiness in general? The feeling of happiness elementally comes from within and is a belief that says, "I am a good person, I am cared about, I am loved. etc." It has absolutely nothing to do with material objects like phones and computers, only the interactions between us and other living things. We continue to convince ourselves that scientific discovery is the key to happiness and prosperity but I could argue that it isn't necessary for that at all. I myself have a university education in the sciences so I appreciate and am intrigued by learning new things, however I think we should spend more time on studying the adverse affects of these new discoveries before putting them in place. Or at the very least, searching for better ways of sustaining our planet so we aren't putting ourselves on a time limit.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 11:06 AM   #45
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
All of these things use up an incredible amount of energy and resources to produce, many of which will be depleted within the next few decades. Also, the waste by-products that humans leave behind will only continue to grow. Computers are able to store more data and are twice as fast every two years, but this trend will reach it's limit sooner than you think. What happens if we cannot integrate quantum computers before the silicon age is no more? Although we seem to be bettering our situation on this planet from a technological point of view, by continuing to blaze forward without much of a glance in the rear-view mirror, we're in a race against time to find solutions to all of the problems we cause as a result of our hunger for new and better things.

I could even ask a silly question from a philosophical perspective and ask, what defines quality of life and happiness in general? The feeling of happiness elementally comes from within and is a belief that says, "I am a good person, I am cared about, I am loved. etc." It has absolutely nothing to do with material objects like phones and computers, only the interactions between us and other living things. We continue to convince ourselves that scientific discovery is the key to happiness and prosperity but I could argue that it isn't necessary for that at all. I myself have a university education in the sciences so I appreciate and am intrigued by learning new things, however I think we should spend more time on studying the adverse affects of these new discoveries before putting them in place. Or at the very least, searching for better ways of sustaining our planet so we aren't putting ourselves on a time limit.
I agree that the human race as a whole is very irresponsible and should not be inventing new technology and throwing away so much trash without finding a long-term solution first. However, many people work best under pressure, and I believe we have the capability to fix the mess we may put ourselves in one day because there is a time limit.

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 03:20 PM   #46
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 03:30 PM   #47
Frenegade
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
Immortality would be more of a punishment than a good thing.
This. I already have a qualm with altering my pants as fashion dictates.
Old 03-5-2014, 05:28 PM   #48
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Move this to CT I guess lol

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 06:37 PM   #49
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Not afraid of dying, but I am generally afraid of things I can't comprehend like eternity, the fact that it will just go on and on and on is what scares me :v
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote