Old 12-2-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan
Default Cloud Atlas

This was the last novel of seven in my lit class this semester, and it is the only assigned reading in recent memory that I have not only enjoyed, but even not wanted to put down for at least half of it. It is a nested story novel of six parts, which combine to detail the lives of - and curious connections between - Adam Ewing (1850s American), Robert Frobisher (1930s Brit), Luisa Rey (1970s American), Timothy Cavendish (2000s Brit), Sonmi-451 (near future Korean clone) and Zach'ry Bailey (post-apocalypse Hawaiian savage), as well as Hawaii, hydras, sextets and comet-shaped birthmarks.

Perhaps even more enthralling than the stories themselves is Mitchell's ability to chain them all together, as well as his prowess in telling each story in its own unique dialect specific to the time.

I sincerely hope I am not the only one here who has read this story (even though, truthfully, I'm still about 65 pages from the end). If you have not and happen to be looking for something to read (or even if you're aren't - Lord knows I certainly wasn't), I encourage you to go out and procure yourself a copy.

Wiki page (spoiler warning)
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MagicCarpetRide
Default Re: Cloud Atlas

Sounds good and i need a book, Maybe i'll check it out.
MagicCarpetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Will get it when I finish up to A Feast of Crows.

which will be a while seeing as i'm just finishing a clash of kings

Reading two books at once only makes me read half of both of them, deciding I like one better than the other, finishing said preferred book, and then restarting the lesser because I hate going back to a book and starting halfway through it.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
I hate going back to a book and starting halfway through it.
Cloud Atlas may not be for you, then, because it basically does this five times. >_>
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Old 12-2-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Tokzic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan View Post
Cloud Atlas may not be for you, then, because it basically does this five times. >_>
Don't worry, I have the ability to ignore the "THIS IS SO GODDAMN BORING PUT THE BOOK THROUGH A PAPER SHREDDER AND GO GET A WOW TIMECARD" brain signal as long as I know the book will pick up at some point.

Though it's not guaranteed to hold out past 500+ pages of dull.

So I'll probably pick this up by January.

Old 12-2-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

That's not entirely it. The only OH MY GOD WHEN IS SOMETHING GOING TO HAPPEN parts are the Adam Ewing parts - the very end of the first section will be enough of a hook to get you interested (and the rest will keep you there).

The thing about this novel is that it is a nested story in the truest sense of the word. The Wiki article makes reference to Matryoshka dolls because that's really what the novel is. Halfway through every story (except for Zach'ry's) you get thrown into the next without warning or immediate explanation, and quite often you're left on a cliffhanger.
Old 12-3-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
Tokzic
FFR Player

Oh.

So you mean what I said... but extremely literally.

What I meant was coming back to a book after however many months, opening it at the bookmark, and saying, "Now what the hell is going on again?" This makes me restart certain books (e.g. The Hobbit) 1-4 times before I finish them.