Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Default Public Speaking Speech Ideas

So I'm in a public speaking course, as the title pretty much says, and I am coming up on having to give a persuasive speech. I am however having issues settling for a good topic in stone.

The only major requirement to keep in mind for this whole discussion is that I have to keep it as close to seven minutes as possible, and I have to be able to argue it.

But pretty much I am having issues coming up with a topic that I think can be done "well."

I had to use an "umbrella topic" which I have chosen already to be E-sports (online gaming.)

Here's a few I have come up with:

1. Dissecting a simchart and explaining why I think things should have/how it could have been done differently.
2. Explaining why the legacy charts should be removed from the game.
3. Arguing Semipent VS Spread VS Hybrid Spread their advantages and why certain uses of each style is better than the other.
4. Why they should try FFR out as a way to relax.

But I feel adapting these to the audience, who I know is borderline clueless to FFR, save for the fourth one, will be somewhat difficult without a really generalized argument. Does anyone here have an idea of how to modify one of the four topics above, or a better topic overall?
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Public Speaking Speech Ideas

When I took public speaking, I learned it is very crucial to consider your audience and to make your speech with your target audience in mind. You need to be broader, much broader. I'm sure everyone in that class has played a video game at least once their life so you're good there. One possible topic is the correlation between game violence and irl violence, especially in children. Just try to be broad enough so everyone in the audience can relate to some degree.

Also, your professor might require your speech to have a "call to action" at the end; something the members can do -as an individual- to support your position. If your audience members aren't ffr savvy, they have no motivation to do your suggested call to action.

Edit: perhaps you can be simple and just talk about why they should try or shouldn't try online gaming. Easy leash.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

Last edited by reuben_tate; 05-13-2013 at 02:36 PM..
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Also, your professor might require your speech to have a "call to action" at the end; something the members can do -as an individual- to support your position. If your audience members aren't ffr savvy, they have no motivation to do your suggested call to action.
The call to action depends more so which type of claim I use, be it a "value" claim or more of a "fact" based claim. A fact based claim such as "There need to be a change on how we filter horomones out of our water supply" (a topic that is actually being done) can be supported with a clear cut call to action and supported with raw data and statistics. Where as the one I am aiming for is more of a suggestion like claim such as "You should buy the bowflex machine because it can help you get to a desired weight within the privacy of your own home."

I'd sort of prefer to stick to a more policy claim, "you should, because" simply because as anyone on FFR knows, if I even try to back it up with facts I'll sound extremely condescending. Knowing I am [supposedly] that type of person, I'm avoiding a fact based one as much as possible, just to avoid that happening. My teacher has said that in my class, my enthusiasm has been unmatched. I sort of feel like I really should use that to my advantage. I can't really do that with a fact based claim.

Conceptually I guess I should go with the more "you should play FFR instead of ______ (insert other game here)" sort of thesis.

Last edited by Xx{Midnight}xX; 05-13-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

I haven't tooken a public speaking course, but a lot of my friends recommend me going into one because I don't read from notes and I make really good eye contact. I also don't read from que cards but bring them handy.

Taking a hit from my university english courses, I think you should open up your speech with a very strong thesis statement that encloses borders upon what you want to talk about very specifically so that you do not steer away from the main topic when going through your proofs and at the same time doesn't open the audience to opinion or suggestion. This grabs the audience by a hook and then follows them through your speech.

If going into an online gaming topic, I would recommend talking about things that some people can disagree with. Another thing that a lot of people do wrong during presentations is they start their presentation or topic as an open statement. You don't want other people to contribute their thoughts into what you think, you want your thoughts to stand out as the only thought. If your mind is set on talking about FFR, try changing the topic from 'Why they should try FFR out as a way to relax' to something subjective like 'Why they should Play FFR as a way to relax'.

You'll be surprised just how many things english, presentations, essays, and speech have in common.

edit: goddammit midnight u ninja disregard my rambling on my 2nd paragraph.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
If going into an online gaming topic, I would recommend talking about things that some people can disagree with.
That's really what I am striving for. My first speech was an informative speech and I used that one to inform them on the types of gaming. So this audience is informed there are many kinds of games dictated for all sorts of people, and different ways to compete on them. I also know there's a good deal of musically informed people, which is specifically why I saved FFR in specific for this particular speech. Sort of combining two things I am actually passionate about into one speech so that I'm incredibly informed about it, but I can also argue two sides.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
The call to action depends more so which type of claim I use, be it a "value" claim or more of a "fact" based claim. A fact based claim such as "There need to be a change on how we filter horomones out of our water supply" (a topic that is actually being done) can be supported with a clear cut call to action and supported with raw data and statistics. Where as the one I am aiming for is more of a suggestion like claim such as "You should buy the bowflex machine because it can help you get to a desired weight within the privacy of your own home."

I'd sort of prefer to stick to a more policy claim, "you should, because" simply because as anyone on FFR knows, if I even try to back it up with facts I'll sound extremely condescending. Knowing I am [supposedly] that type of person, I'm avoiding a fact based one as much as possible, just to avoid that happening. My teacher has said that in my class, my enthusiasm has been unmatched. I sort of feel like I really should use that to my advantage. I can't really do that with a fact based claim.

Conceptually I guess I should go with the more "you should play FFR instead of ______ (insert other game here)" sort of thesis.
In both those cases, both facts, arguments, and opinion play a role. One could argue there doesn't need to be a change in hormone filtering saying its current state is sufficient enough or that it'd cost too much money. And even in cases like those where it seems an individual can't do anything, they can, they can write to their local representatives, gather or include themsleves in a petition etc.

As for your other idea, its kinda weak since people can still play ffr and still play all the games you say are not as good.

Also, I have to disagree with gold stinger for a bit. Its important to acknowledge the other side. Not doing so makes your speech weaker two fold: first it makes it seem like you're not informed or ignorant of the other side's reasons and second, it ruins any established sense of character you have by appearing cocky about your position.

The best way to go about this is usually, after saying your main points, try to counter the questions likely to be in your audience's head that are like "what about...", "however," etc. In other words, make your points and say why the other side's points are weak or invalid.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

Last edited by bmah; 05-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: don't double post please
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Talk about the correlation between players age and their sexual relations with each others mother