Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-8-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
Callipygian
Senior FFR citizen
FFR Veteran

Default how to step solos?

Hey all,

I want to try my hand at the noble art of simfile making and the tutorials and guides I could find so far are very useful in finding the right programs, syncing songs properly and placing basic steps, as well as giving advice on layering, pitch relevancy and pattern usage.

However, I couldn't find anything on how to step irregular lines, such as many guitar solos in metal pieces. The wave form seems pretty useless, unless it's a drum solo or something, and going by ear is a pain as well (how to distinguish between a 164th and a 192th interval by ear?).

Does anyone know of a video or other resource explaining how to systematically go through a solo and decide on good steps? Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 12-8-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: how to step solos?

There's the Dark Chancellor way of stepping a solo where you listen very carefully and place each arrow 1 by 1 and make it pitch relevant as you go and this takes very long and just try to sync each arrow as best as you can switching to 12ths-192nds as needed making very beautiful rainbows.

Then there's my way where I bullshit the solos putting 16ths/24ths/32nds and sort of make them rolls or something somewhat pitch relevant to the music. This way is easier to MA but isn't as fancy and generally not many people do this. But it works lol

edit: of course these are just 2 examples of how to step a solo, in my opinion you should step a solo the way you want, the way you think is best. you might be asking "but IcyWorld, how do i know how i like to step if i don't do it too much" If you step a solo and it doesn't come out how you like it, try changing the arrows around, maybe put some jumps/freezes/mines to change how the solo is played, just toy around with it until it looks how you like it. If anything you can always scrap how you stepped a certain part and do it again!

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 12-8-2013 at 09:30 AM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

I thought you wanted to learn how to step Solo... I am very disappoint
Old 12-8-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

How to step Solo:

1. Step like you normally would in Singles (I'm serious)

As for guitar solos, I actually sync to the drum beats if I can and try to do things the chancellor way. I might elaborate more.
GammaBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
There's the Dark Chancellor way of stepping a solo where you listen very carefully and place each arrow 1 by 1 and make it pitch relevant as you go and this takes very long and just try to sync each arrow as best as you can switching to 12ths-192nds as needed making very beautiful rainbows.
rainbow theory
Old 12-8-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

when you're layering rainbow guitar solos, they don't have to be 200% technically correct otherwise you start ending up with really dumb cluster fuck solos to play through (re: NTM files, older Baq12 files, and BynaryFission files). just place arrows to the best of your hearing and play test the section multiple times until you feel that what you have best represents it—a good ear for distinguishing notes and sync is also a huge asset to doing this sort of thing. for the most part it's a trial and error process, with you having to make intuitive decisions on where to place arrows and to what a.k.a. selective layering.

essentially what you're trying to aim for is something that best represents the section, without going too overboard and becoming a cluster fuck with the layering—this is also mainly the reason why most peeps don't layer jumps and other shit on top of a solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBlaster View Post
How to step Solo:

1. Step like you normally would in Singles (I'm serious)
this is only applicable if you play solo and are somewhat adept in skill. people that aren't quite adept in solo will have no idea what kinds of patterns to avoid or use conservatively because everything will be awkward to them. I went through this entire process and pretty much I couldn't expand past placing all my steps in the center 4 notes until I was better at playing, rofl.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 12-8-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Callipygian
Senior FFR citizen
FFR Veteran

thanks for your replies, guys. I think I'll avoid rainbow theory and go for gundam's advice.
Old 12-8-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i can't step solo because i do exactly what gammablaster does, and end up with files like this

choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian View Post
thanks for your replies, guys. I think I'll avoid rainbow theory and go for gundam's advice.
tbh it's a balance... it really should be accurate and if you just go by what you feel it might be off

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
do this imo

but make sure that ends of being what it sounds like on 1.0 in that you may need to delete/add/shift notes

listening on .6-.8 seems to be best, slower makes it more garbled and incomprehensible, faster tends to be too difficult
and it's way better if you have a hq mp3

and it just takes tons of practice to be able to get the ear to distinguish guitar notes in where they are, their pitch, and how many there are
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
choof
Banned

depending on the instrument, you can use ddream and a wave filter to isolate
choof is offline   Reply With Quote