Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Forum Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Default Choose your own adventure

Oooooooooookay.

This is gonna be terribly difficult, so I'm gonna post the general rules here and see if people want to follow through with this, and see if people have any ideas for improvement before I actually start the game. So here we go.

I think it would be neat to start a choose your own adventure story that people can contribute to, and then play. Here's kinda how I think it should go down:

It will start with one post that starts a story. It would involve, i dunno, dragons or something, and will have an eight letter code at the top (I will explain this later). This is the beginning of the story every time the game is played.

Then the person will post two or more options. Each of these options will be followed by an eight character code. The next person will post a piece of the story following one of those choices. Their post WILL START WITH THE CODE FROM THE CHOICE THAT HE CHOSE. This may sound confusing and pointless, but just stick with me. Here's an example:

------------------------------------------

First post:
(From 98dfk4ed)

You are in a cave. It is dark and scary. There are passageways leading left and right. Which way do you want to go?

To go left, search vke94ks0

To go right, search dl93j09f

Second post:
(From vke94ks0)

You chose to go left. You are now at a waterfall, and the cave continues off to the left. You can either jump down the waterfall, continue going left, or go back to the first part of the cave.

To jump down the fall, search 4kf09ifd

To continue left, search fkcj9dkp

To go back, search 98dfk4ed

So this is how it works: You read the first post. If you decide to go left, then you search the code for going left (vke94ks0) in the "search this thread" bar at the top of the screen. You should then get two posts that show up: the one that you just came from and the one that continues the story going left.

If the person chose right, and they can't find the next part of the story, then they can create it. They just need to put "From xxxxxxxx" at the top and write the next part of the story.

But there needs to be endings. So let's say someone went right, and decided "I think that there should be an ending here". Then they would do something like this:

Third post:
(From dl93j09f)

You go through the right path in the cave. Unfortunately, there is an evil monster that eats you. Your last thoughts as you were being eaten are "I should have gone left..."

THE END

So that's how it will generally go down. Obviously, the posts will usually be longer, and on the large make more sense. Also there are some problems, which leads me to my next point...

PROBLEMS:

Ninja-ing

You don't want two posts for the same option. This could be fixed possibly by PMing.

People doing stupid things to piss others off

Like people purposely making 20 posts for the same option, or making random "you die, the end" posts everywhere. This could be solved by deleting and banning, but it may be a big burden on the mods.

Other problems?

I know this has some more problems (I had actually thought of some more which I can't remember right now), so post your thoughts.

Thank you for reading all of this. Please post what you think, problems you foresee, and if this should really be started. Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Breakdown16
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Choose your own adventure

I'd love to play this, but I'd advise against starting it. I'm completely sure that this won't work out because of ninja'ing and incorrect code posting. If people make simple errors in Hurt n Heal, I doubt this would work.

Made by arrekusuof93 at Ye Olde Photoshop Shoppe
Who remembers this thread? Brings back great memories XD
Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lxDestinyxl

This 'choose your own adventure' style of game is better left to books, not an internet forum. It was a nice try, but I don't think it will work out.
Old 01-2-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Okay, I think most people are against this, but I wanted to ask one more thing:
Does anyone want to just try it and see how it works out? Ya know, just give it a shot? (I spent like an hour writing all the rules to this game, I want to know if it truly wont work) If it doesn't work, I could just end it. Or is this pretty much the end of the line for this thread?
Old 01-2-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lxDestinyxl

I don't think that would be a good idea, to carry on something people don't agree with. I spend much time on my threads as well, over 12 hours for the FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingillremember View Post
Or is this pretty much the end of the line for this thread?
No, this is the end of the line for this thread.
Old 01-2-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
somethingillremember
FFR Player

KK then. It'll just end here. Where's Guidohunter when you need a lock?
Closed Thread