Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien
Default CAPTCHA and Games With A Purpose

Sup. I was bored, so I figured I'd share some information I've got about the thing Internet users love to hate.

So, CAPTCHAs. The word stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart" (though really, that's just the inventor trying to make it an acronym when the word comes from "capture"). Those who know what they are probably hate them. Those who don't probably also do without realizing it. You ever notice that when you sign up for a website, or even make a post in some places, you have to look at a picture and type in the letters in the picture? All of those are derivatives of the CAPTCHA. Their purpose is to make sure that you're a human being--computers (if the CAPTCHA is done right) can't correctly parse characters in the image, so automated bots can't figure out what the letters are and won't be able to type a correct response.

That said and done, here's some background information on CAPTCHAs. They were invented by a guy named Luis von Ahn, one of my professors at Carnegie Mellon University (which is how I know all this, his "introduce yourself to the freshmen" speech was all about it). They're based on the concept of the "Turing test", a generic term for something that allows computers and humans to be told apart from each other. The rest proceeded as the above paragraph implies. However, more recently, von Ahn has developed a new kind of CAPTCHA, called reCAPTCHA, which is so much cooler and more awesome.

reCAPTCHA is a method of using everyone on the Internet to perform a massively difficult task, specifically book digitalization. Computers and software have improved to the point where computers can recognize many words when scanned out of books, and can store the text in a digital form. However, there still exist a lot of words, especially poorly-scanned ones, or really obscure ones, that computers can't recognize. This is where reCAPTCHA comes in. A reCAPTCHA gives you two words: one of them is a word the computer already knows, and the other is a scan of a word it can't figure out. It matches your input against the word it knows to see if you're human, and assumes that you're right about the other word, which it then adds to its database.

The reason this works is because the word which the computer can't recognize is, by definition, impossible for a bot to get past. It's only there because it can't be recognized by a bot or computer. Then your answer becomes what the reCAPTCHA looks for when someone else gets that word. It examines the different results people put in and selects the one most likely to be correct, and uses that, so it's kind of hard to intentionally mislead. In this way, every time you fill out a reCAPTCHA, you're helping digitize some books, so be happy about it! As a side story, Professor von Ahn also told us that he received a series of emails from an illegitimate company in China that used bots to advertise itself, complaining that it had to hire a bunch of human workers to do what it used to be able to do automatically, just because of reCAPTCHA. So basically, reCAPTCHA created some jobs in China. Awesome, isn't it?

But that's not all von Ahn has done. He has an entire website devoted to similar concepts, Games With A Purpose. The most interesting/well-known one is the ESP Game. In this, two people are matched anonymously and shown the same picture. Each player has to type in words that describe the picture, and when two players match, they get a point. The goal is to get as many points as possible. This is a massive help to image search engines--if two people look at a photo and separately identify a dog, then a dog is probably in the photo somewhere and the word "dog" will produce a hit for that image. Google licensed this technology from von Ahn under the name "Google Image Labeler".

So yeah, check out the website, and try not to hate on CAPTCHAs so much. Especially reCAPTCHA, with all the good it's doing.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
FFRGreen
Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to FFRGreen Send a message via Skype™ to FFRGreen
Default Re: CAPTCHA and Games With A Purpose

Nice but tl;dr.

I learned something today CAPTCHAs, the word stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

EDIT: After I read it, its pretty interesting. That game is fun too. I don't know about you guys but I kind of like CAPTCHAs.

Last edited by FFRGreen; 12-16-2010 at 01:50 AM..
FFRGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Luis is a ****ing genius seriously

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

And he's teaching 251 again next semester! I have a floormate taking it with him, I can't wait to see the kind of stuff he pulls out.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Now I feel bad for typing in vulgar words for the word that I know isn't the one checking if I am a human.

There are two words in the reCaptcha and one of them is being checked for correct spelling and the other is looking for your correct spelling. A lot of the times you can tell which is which and type in non sense for the second.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
~HentaiXXX~
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ~HentaiXXX~

meh, I still hate on captcha/recaptcha.

I suppose it's gained a little of my respect because of the good it's doing.
~HentaiXXX~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

heard about this before - respect for recaptcha
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote