Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
rebelrunner26
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default New Laptop advice?

Since I'm going off to college next fall I've been looking around for a laptop, and I figured since I'll be spending far more time hitting arrows than doing homework, I'd ask for some advice as to what I need to look for to maximize FFR efficiency. I've been playing on a laggy desktop for 2 years and it's hard to FC/AAA anything because it decides to randomly ignore some notes that I hit. So...advice for processor/graphics and sound cards/ram/cache/anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD
Default Re: New Laptop advice?

Get a Toshiba Notebook Tablet like me.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
rebelrunner26
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

ok, apart from ffr if i add in these parameters....

preferably around 15.4'' screen (it's what my brother has and I like it)
needs to be able to edit videos efficiently with minimal lag/freezes
i'd like something really efficient for multitasking

i'm thinking like 2.40 GHz or faster, 3Gig DDR2 Ram, maybe 4Gig, and either a Core2 Duo or Centrino/Centrino2 processor

would that work?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Sh4d0wD3v1L
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Sh4d0wD3v1L

As much as I hate to admit it, you might be pretty solid with a MacBook. I don't like macs personally, but for what you want to do with it, it might be perfect.

Get a core 2 duo. If you want to spend the extra money for extreme multitasking get a quad core.

You would be okay with 3GB RAM, a 4GB upgrade would be totally optional. I would also suggest that you don't get anything that has on-board video. For something like video editing, I can't see that ending well.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
Solid Dreams
FFR Player

macbooks arent that good for ffr and things like that. Just get a toshiba or an asus.

Quote:
You shouldn't talk down to people you don't know anything about, acting like you know more and then try to show them up in the forum. That's how you get absolutely no where.
Solid Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
gafandriel
All the world is at war
FFR Veteran

Alienware

pl0x

mine runs all of it amazing.
gafandriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456

i was in the same situation as you are last summer. i needed a laptop for college but i wanted to play more ffr than work.

I bought a macbook and its been great and i never experience lag on it. they are more expensive than other laptops but i think the price is worth it.

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)
Adamaja456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

I like my Dell, and I'm pretty sure they can do all the things you want if you custom order one. Plus they have great customer service if anything is ever wrong.

I have a hard time playing FFR on the smaller keyboard, though.

Do not, do not, do not, do not get a Gateway.

Don't get a Gateway.

For the love of God do not get a Gateway.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
fido123
FFR Player

If you're big into movie editing, and don't care to run any other game but FFR, buy a laptop and put OSX on it. I think you may have to buy a stick of MacRAM because Steve Jobs is a Monopolistic bastard. If you want to be able to do pretty much anything else go with Windows...I would recommend other OSs but I'll assume you're not interested as it's a bitch to get drivers to work. I put together a quick laptop on Dell.ca which would fit your needs perfectly. Keep in mind it has a 3 year warranty included in that so you could piss on it and send it in and they'll fix it no questions asked...saved my ass many times. Sorry for the page stretch but resizing it distorts it too much.

Last edited by fido123; 03-19-2009 at 01:04 PM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
demonllama6124
im your grandpa!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to demonllama6124 Send a message via Yahoo to demonllama6124

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post

Don't get a Gateway.

whats wrong with a gateway? i have one and it works fine. only thing i dont like about it is the fact that it has an 80GB HD and 512MB RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
OP, WTFBrandon & demonllama6124

Only Men here with Manly Man hairy legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
leonid, please shut the fuck up before I make you.
Help decide which game I should play next. Trying to beat all my games
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...47#post4489647
demonllama6124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
OrganisM
FFR Player

Screw all manufactured computers. But for those of you that can't build one, there's got to be something to buy...

Also, FFR is a simple ****ing flash app. Use the right settings and you can run Crysis at playable framerates on fairly high settings using an 8800GTS (g80 stepping) and a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo with 2gb RAM. I don't want to hear about your genius interpretations of hardware, because you're wrong.

You didn't list the most important thing of all, aside from what you'll be doing with it: price. What's your budget? There are some great $5000 laptops out there. Of course, if you tell me what your budget is, that will dictate what specs we're looking at.

Sony laptops have been excellent lately [link] If I were you, I'd take a look at the CS or NS laptops. But then, if you have a budget of $500, my recommendations will obviously be different.

Here's a good-looking NS

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
musicdemon
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I can't see Crysis running on High on a laptop without some serious spending. It's not because the graphics can't keep up, it's mostly because the game is just coded really badly and lag is horrible compared to other games. My XPS 720 has an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, an NVIDIA GTX 260, and 4gb RAM and Crysis is the only game that runs really slow on decent graphics settings. Most of my other games run flawlessly with the eye candy turned up all the way. Here's some benchmarks I did using the Crysis Benchmarking Tool:

Run #1- DX10 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Medium ~~ Overall Average FPS: 35.125
Run #2- DX10 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 28.58
Run #3- DX10 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 22.16
Run #4- DX10 1680x1050 AA=4x, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 26.345
Run #5- DX10 1680x1050 AA=4x, 32 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 19.725

The sad thing is that these results are only from a timedemo used for benchmarking. When I was facing the final boss on the aircraft carrier in the pouring rain with explosions going off everywhere and a thousand little fires burning on the deck, I had to bump my graphics down to Low to get framerates around 30fps.

ANYWAY, don't get a laptop just for Crysis, because you might just get your heart broken

EDIT: On a brighter note, the expansion pack is supposed to run much smoother.

Last edited by musicdemon; 03-19-2009 at 06:44 PM..
musicdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Sh4d0wD3v1L
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Sh4d0wD3v1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post
I like my Dell, and I'm pretty sure they can do all the things you want if you custom order one. Plus they have great customer service if anything is ever wrong.

I have a hard time playing FFR on the smaller keyboard, though.

Don't get a Gateway.

I have a gateway. It runs really well...When it runs. Fried a mobo about 3 months in. Also have broken 7 keyboards because they were built poorly. I will say that their customer service has been nothing but helpful.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
OrganisM
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdemon View Post
I can't see Crysis running on High on a laptop without some serious spending. It's not because the graphics can't keep up, it's mostly because the game is just coded really badly and lag is horrible compared to other games. My XPS 720 has an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, an NVIDIA GTX 260, and 4gb RAM and Crysis is the only game that runs really slow on decent graphics settings. Most of my other games run flawlessly with the eye candy turned up all the way. Here's some benchmarks I did using the Crysis Benchmarking Tool:

Run #1- DX10 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Medium ~~ Overall Average FPS: 35.125
Run #2- DX10 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 28.58
Run #3- DX10 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 22.16
Run #4- DX10 1680x1050 AA=4x, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 26.345
Run #5- DX10 1680x1050 AA=4x, 32 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 19.725

The sad thing is that these results are only from a timedemo used for benchmarking. When I was facing the final boss on the aircraft carrier in the pouring rain with explosions going off everywhere and a thousand little fires burning on the deck, I had to bump my graphics down to Low to get framerates around 30fps.

ANYWAY, don't get a laptop just for Crysis, because you might just get your heart broken

EDIT: On a brighter note, the expansion pack is supposed to run much smoother.
Thank god, someone who has the kindness to substantiate what they're saying. Thank you, I appreciate it.

True, the only reason Crysis lags so badly is the inefficient use of drivers. You can build a $6000 system with two GTX 295's and still have terrible framerates.

However, there is one guy who was able to build a desktop with an 8800GTS w/g80 stepping and a 2.2/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, and he disabled some key settings which made it look almost identical yet tax the system far less. Here is that guide. For some reason this edition doesn't show the comp specs I don't think, but I read a related article in which he ran his "cheap high" settings on a 2.2/4 GHz dual core system with an 8800GTS(G80).

My point is that when you can run the most intensive game like that on a computer that is now a mainstream desktop comp, it's ridiculously stupid to think that running a Flash app takes a $6000 triple-SLI system with 24gb RAM and a Core i7 970 3.2 GHz Extreme processor.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."

Last edited by OrganisM; 03-19-2009 at 11:29 PM..
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
Solid Dreams
FFR Player

Yeah, there's no point in putting down 3000 dollars, or 2000, or even 800 dollars on a laptop just to play FFR.

And video edit.

Toshiba has a 500-600 dollar laptop that should fit your needs. just look on newegg.com, you need 2 gigs of ram for vista and that's it.

Less if you have XP. Easily done. :P

Quote:
You shouldn't talk down to people you don't know anything about, acting like you know more and then try to show them up in the forum. That's how you get absolutely no where.
Solid Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote