Old 12-3-2006, 08:08 PM   #21
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo
Default Re: I'm out of mana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
All American games look the same.
All Japanese RPGs that follow the same FF-esque battle system look and play the same, especially seeing as they all use washed-out unstylish Anime graphics.
Old 12-3-2006, 08:23 PM   #22
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Unfortunately, all people who say Blizzard sucks are just saying how very, very stupid they are.

Their games are truly great. They aren't the best, but they are good.

~Tsugomaru
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2006, 11:55 PM   #23
church_pk
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to church_pk Send a message via MSN to church_pk

D2 LOD was so fun, and when I say fun I mean I was addicted for 3 years.
Old 12-4-2006, 06:54 AM   #24
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Sorry but Moogy is right, WoW, along with most other american made games do have alot of the same....well...everything, each genre contains hundreds of games, but all of which are basically the same

ZOMG HALO IS SO ASM IT R TEH BESTEST EVAR!!!

really whats it like?

YOU GO AROUND WITH GUNS N STUFFS AND SHOOOT PEEPUL

really? just like unreal tournament...and rainbow six....and soldier of fortune...and counter strike...and wolfenstein...and medal of honor...and quake...and doom...and half life?

NO ITS WAY DIFRENT

-_- kay
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 07:27 AM   #25
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Sorry but Moogy is right, WoW, along with most other american made games do have alot of the same....well...everything, each genre contains hundreds of games, but all of which are basically the same

ZOMG HALO IS SO ASM IT R TEH BESTEST EVAR!!!

really whats it like?

YOU GO AROUND WITH GUNS N STUFFS AND SHOOOT PEEPUL

really? just like unreal tournament...and rainbow six....and soldier of fortune...and counter strike...and wolfenstein...and medal of honor...and quake...and doom...and half life?

NO ITS WAY DIFRENT

-_- kay
Ignorant statement. The physics and mechanics in the game "Halo 2" are quite different from each of the games you mentioned. In fact, each of those games have unique elements to make them appealing or revolutionary. I mean, you picked Wolfenstein and Quake and Doom, three of the first FPSs created. Of course, THOSE will be very similar. But to sit here and try to tell me that Halo 2 is the same game with the same mechanics, slightly tweaked, is complete insanity. Hell, the differences in Halo 1 and 2 were astounding. The game itself requires a lot of strategy and reflex play to fully excel in.

So please, don't ever do that again.

There are plenty of staff here that would agree with me fully, just ask:

Lightdarkness
87x
Synthlight
CyanoticXtc

Just ask anyone that's ever played Halo 2 on a regular basis.

Spec out
Old 12-4-2006, 07:51 AM   #26
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

There comes a point in every gamer's life when he just becomes compeltely burnt out on FPS games. But they are not all the same.

My little brother is a huge fan of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and I am too, because it involves a LOT of teamwork and toasting thin with a flamethrower >=D.
I myself am a HUGE fan of Natural Selection. You have no idea how awesome Natural Selection is. It's like...REALLY intelligent.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 08:34 AM   #27
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Gears of War, for example: truly amazing FPS with excellent strategy, graphics, AI, innovation, realism.
Old 12-4-2006, 08:50 AM   #28
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

So are we to say that every single Japanese game has its own genre and its own gameplay style? The chances are, that there will be many games for a single genre like the US, but the gameplay style will always be different.

Just like in America.

~Tsugomaru
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 10:10 AM   #29
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I never really like FPS games, im more into puzzle/thinking games and fantasy adventure like Legend Of Zelda.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 11:00 AM   #30
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Every game in the same genre is similiar due to the fact that it is in the SAME GENRE. However, if all the games were the same then either they all would suck or all would be awesome. This is not the case, developers can tweak different things about each game and either make it a great game or a ****ty one, just by getting the details correct.
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 11:17 AM   #31
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Usually when people resort to saying the people they're describing TALK LYK DIS N STUF means they don't have much of a basis for argument. =\

Really, any game in any genre is going to be similar to other games of the same genre. Same way any two games of football are going to be similar or two fights (even if with different rules) are going to be similar. You could dumb down FPS games and say it's just about shooting, you could dumb down RTS games and say it's just moving units around, and you could dumb down RPGs and say they're just leveling and clicking attack over and over. Just because you don't like the genre and the similarities between the games doesn't mean the games are all clones of each other. It just means you don't like the genre.

And to say that Japan makes better games than Americans, no matter what, is really ****ing ignorant. You guys obviously just like RPGs, and Japan likes to pump out some RPGs like crazy. There are some things Japan does a lot more of and is therefore better at, and the same goes for the US. For example, I don't think any US-made shmup has been anywhere as good as all the Japanese-made ones. This is probably because I can't think of more than one US-made shmup, and it's old as crap and really exploitable.

But seriously, every FPS game can be very different. The reason I like the FPS games I do is because I like more complicated, team-oriented shooters. Things like the Battlefield series (where you have to capture points and work as a team) or Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (where you have specific objectives to do with your team) or especially Natural Selection (it's a FPS+RTS blend, it's awesome) are cool because it's not just about how good you are at shooting, but how well you and your team work together. But it's not annoyingly focused on one person like the Capture the Flag modes from Unreal Tournament and Halo. Then there are things like Counter-Strike and Medal of Honor, where it's just a freaking deathmatch whether there are objectives or not. I hate that, especially round-based things because I hate dying and not respawning (I play games to play them, not to sit and watch others while I'm dead).

All I'm saying is, every game has unique features and things you may or may not like. And even if they were extremely similar, most all of them use different engines and gun systems. Like, I hate CounterStrike's gun system, because the guns are RETARDEDLY UNREALISTICALLY INNACCURATE after the first shot. I liked the old Medal of Honor recoil system, cuz you could correct for it and be accurate constantly if you were good. Most of all, I like games where you look down the barrel of your gun (Call of Duty and BF2 especially). Little things about the game can make it play completely different. There are many layers of differences between FPS games, and if you can't see them then you've gotta be retarded or something. =\

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 11:43 AM   #32
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Hahaha EB.

Americans can't make video games.

What the crap are you on.

You're telling Moogy and Co. not to stereotype, then you do it yourself.

Quote:
You guys obviously just like RPGs
Sure, I like me some RPGs, but in my Gamecube library I have a total of three. This is fewer than 10% of my entire library.

I cannot believe you think for a minute that American-made games can compete with Japanese-made games. There's not even a contest.

That's like saying soap operas can compete with anime. There's just no way.

Ok, I'm not like Moogy and I won't out and say everything from America sucks. I'm just saying the vast majority of non-Japanese titles are terrible, whereas the vast majority of Japanese titles are great.

Looking through my Gamecube library of 41 games, eight of them are probably American (EA, Activision, etc) and four of those titles suck. The rest were made in Japan and they're all good.

Last edited by Squeek; 12-4-2006 at 11:45 AM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 11:50 AM   #33
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

I don't think the American market makes few good games so much as an unforgivable amount of bad games.

But yeah just because you're an RPG fanatic doesn't mean that American games suck. Actually, in general, the best American RPGs beat the best Japanese RPGs.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 11:57 AM   #34
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
I don't think the American market makes few good games so much as an unforgivable amount of bad games.

But yeah just because you're an RPG fanatic doesn't mean that American games suck. Actually, in general, the best American RPGs beat the best Japanese RPGs.
Agreed.
Fable is fun but way too short.
Halo is pretty good.

Halo 2 sucks.
Old 12-4-2006, 12:41 PM   #35
Pumble
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
generic moogy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffr
WHAT DID HE JUST SAY LET'S MAKE LONG POSTS
ps i like games from nearly every genre

some games are good

some games are bad

omg
Old 12-4-2006, 01:27 PM   #36
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoecool1991 View Post
Halo 2 sucks.
Halo 2's single player campaign mode sucks balls. But the multiplayer, coupled with the power of Xbox live, is amazingly addictive and fun.
Old 12-4-2006, 03:26 PM   #37
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

i meant to ps in that last post

moogy probably intended to make everyone start whining rofl

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 03:31 PM   #38
FluorescentArmy
Forum User

Send a message via AIM to FluorescentArmy Send a message via Yahoo to FluorescentArmy

Japan sucks.
Old 12-4-2006, 03:57 PM   #39
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specforces View Post
Halo 2's single player campaign mode sucks balls. But the multiplayer, coupled with the power of Xbox live, is amazingly addictive and fun.
Yup, the missions in Halo 1 are amazing and really fun and hard. But the multiplayer isnt that great.

And Halo 2 is too easy, and it is also too easy to use glitches to your advantage, such as superjumps.
Old 12-4-2006, 05:20 PM   #40
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

What the hell is a "Halo 2"?

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote