Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Survivor (TV show)

Hello!

To preface this thread, I'm going to mention that there will be spoilers and such here, so be cautious yada yada yada.

I'm going to update this thread once I get home with proper formatting & info and such, but I just wanted to get this out there while it's fresh.

There may or may not be another survivor thread on ffr, but frankly I don't really care too much and figure there should be a 2017 one anyways (there's threads last seen in 2015 in this subforum... not like it's particularly active so hey).

Anywho, here's the plan and what this thread will entail:

I'm going to rewatch every single episode of every season of Survivor, and post my thoughts on each episode as a kind of rolling commentary. I want to rewatch and get back into survivor basically, and this is the best way to motivate myself to do so. I'll probably watch and cover an episode a day, maybe more.

I'm posting this early as well in case anyone would be interested in watching alongside me or anything; I'll be starting at S01:E01 tonight once I'm home from work.

Also if anyone wants to get into this (probably fairly dated nowadays) show, now's a good chance!(?)

As a temporary closing note, survivor is more than just a reality tv show I'd say, and there's two ways to enjoy the show: enjoying the characters/plot, and analyzing the strategy and events. The former is probably more "casual" and common, while the latter is... less so? I go for a mix of both, but probably leaning to the way of analysis and strategy. A common method used in the community by some is via "edgic", which is basically editing logic, and how the editing of the show depicts the story to be a certain way (more prevalent in newer/ongoing seasons). I can cover what it is exactly I guess, but for now Google "Survivor edgic" if you're curious.

Anyways, this is that; expect more tonight probably.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Survivor (TV show)

Ken is the best
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
M0N3R
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Ken is the best
If only Adam hadn't made it to the finale.
M0N3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
DDR_Anna
FFR Player

Quote:
Ken is the best
Despite everything I've seen from the show I can't help but think the same thing for our king
Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Oh hey, I know someone that literally did this. (thesunfan)

I've rewatched the first few seasons of Survivor and I enjoy them immensely more than the new ones. Reason being is that the first couple of survivors, no one knows what they're doing in terms of winning the game (through politics and whatnot). No one wants to step on toes and no one wants to make enemies.

Literally there's someone in the first season that does something mechanically stupid just because they didn't want to make enemies.

Second season of Survivor is still my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
the sun fan
FFR Player

Not even necessarily looking at the edgic, but at how the show is edited is really, really nice.

Something really funny to look at from Season One is how Sean, a doctor consistently comes across as significantly dumber than the redneck truck driver, Sue.

I'm with Charu that Season One can't really compare to Season Two, but Season One is pretty watchable.

I think we all know who wins, but in case we don't, its really, really interesting to see the levels that the real players are thinking on compared to the people who have no idea how to win the million dollars (and this is true for the first 6 or so seasons).

I've been stuck on an episode in Fiji, haven't really brought myself to get past it, but I do want to make it to the promised land of China, which has the best cast imo of any of the seasons (Second Chance and Cagayan come the closest, but they're still way behind).

I second a lot of what Cel says about what makes the show great btw. There's a lot more layers to it, especially when you kind of see what is happening rather than are told what's going on and just nod your head to it, because the show has to edit itself for mass appeal.

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

is survivor like, basically the TV version of the werewolf game
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
the sun fan
FFR Player

Quote:
is survivor like, basically the TV version of the werewolf game
no, not at all

Old 06-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

I went to a casting call for the show and haven't even watched it lmao.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
Something really funny to look at from Season One is how Sean, a doctor consistently comes across as significantly dumber than the redneck truck driver, Sue.
This is a really good example of how people are distinctly separate from their characters often times.... well then there's Coach I guess, but hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Literally there's someone in the first season that does something mechanically stupid just because they didn't want to make enemies.
There's quite a bit of that in S1 actually as far as I recall, but I think I know what specifically you're talking about.
Also, S2 is a fairly nice season with cute feel-good people.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Celirra
FFR Player

Season 1, Episode 1: The Marooning
“Volunteering to be marooned” is some truly world-changing role playing.

I somewhat enjoy the salvaging of the boat, and it’s one of the cooler parts of early survivor seasons; as much as strategy is great, the survival aspect is an interesting component and actually ends up playing a big part into winning and strategy too; after all, a physically weak player is a mentally weak player.

On a very serious note, it’s sad seeing B.B.; I’m pretty sure he died a few years ago to a stroke. Rest in peace, but I won’t let it change what I say regarding him (I promise!!) and such.

Probst’s accent sounds so much different compared to the newer seasons. It’s almost unnerving.

“To win, you must survive the island, survive the vote, and ultimately survive each other” is a really good way to describe the early seasons. Surviving the island and each other is paramount to the vote, particularly the first. Most people aren’t even terribly bothered by the vote element, but I feel like Hatch’s little gears are spinning in his head right from the get-go. Note how he’s the first to mention just sitting around to talk; he knows how important relations are, and that it’s an important aspect; potentially even more so than the “survival” itself to him. Contrast this to Rudy, who gets flak from Kelly for being too focused on giving orders and such to optimize survival, and it’s… more clear somewhat why Hatch would have been deemed more likeable than a Rudy-esque. I also find it interesting how Kelly and Hatch are somewhat contrasted, seeing as they were ultimately the two finalists; Kelly is seen as negative about someone right away, while Hatch is positive and attempting to unify everyone better. The winner should be seen as more positive than the runner-up, after all (see: editing analysis).

Speaking of editing, Pagong pretty much instantly comes off as complaining and such. The struggles of Pagong and such I’d say are foreshadowing in a sense to later in the season, but that may be my own hindsight.

What kind of name is Dirk, anyways?

“I’ve got the million dollar cheque written already” is such a good winner’s quote.A lot of people look for these kind of little tidbits from people in early phase to base their winner guesses off of, and they’re often little subtle things that you may miss until you look back on it. It’s another component to using the editing to craft an idea about who might win, though there’s also a fair bit of fake-outs & red herrings so I have trouble looking specifically for it while the season is going.

BB’s joking strategy of “well hey, only we know where the water is so they can’t vote us out!” is funny to me, because that would legitimately be a strongly considered strategy in modern Survivor, and one that works to a certain degree as well. Similar-ish to something that happened in Samoa, but hey that’s many seasons from now.

Rudy: “I’ve gotta fit in, not them”. Guarantee you most people, regardless of age or lifestyle, would be too stubborn to think this way. Gosh, I love Rudy.

Hatch being shown just talking to a bunch of people and humouring them and such, he did a really good job with just getting on people’s good graces, save for maybe a couple of people. I actually forgot just how focused on him this episode was.

“All a rat is is a squirrel without a fuzzy tail” ok, Sue.

Early challenges are pretty neat, and are much more… maybe not intricate, but less factory-like. It’s maybe less balanced and fair for both teams, but it’s cool to see anyways. Admittedly, I don’t care a ton about challenges beyond just an entertainment side, so don’t expect much from me on that front beyond a “wow, __ did well!”

Sonja saying “I feel totally responsible” is a good example of a boot quote, which can go two ways typically. There’s two forms of “loser edits” so to speak; one in which the person seems weak and they go home because of it, or one where they seem very weak and is played up, for that *woah check out this sick #BLINDSIDE* element, and there can typically be little nuances to help point it out. S1 was largely before the whole surprise element that survivor editing goes for, so a lot of the writing was in the sand, despite a ton of people voting in different directions. Also the girls’ alliance is neat to see, given that they’re very very common in many seasons, but it’s also interesting that there’s a dissenter (Sue) as those are fairly common too, and the dissenters are usually the ones that go the furthest.

From a personal level, Sonja was pretty sweet in my mind and Stacey was a bit of a bitch, but in the end that’s more a personal thing and Sonja was the “correct” vote-off for sure, for whatever that’s worth. Sonja’s closing remarks of “go get ‘em, you guys” also shows an interesting note of how team-driven early survivor is, and how it is very much tribe vs tribe, rather than person vs person vs person etc etc.

Looking forward to Greg, too bad he wasn’t in this episode at all really, but that’s largely because Tagi lost the challenge, and therefore went to TC, and therefore needed more attention to get the story more fleshed out etc etc. before their vote-off.

I should practice this whole blogposting thing, this seems like a mess to read.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 01-31-2018 at 11:39 PM..
Old 06-22-2017, 03:40 AM   #12
the sun fan
FFR Player

Something that makes me sad that Sonja was voted out so early, and this is never mentioned, or hinted at beyond anything you couldn't possibly see unless you already knew why, but Sonja was on the same tribe as Richard almost certainly because she is a lesbian, and that was meant to push Rudy's buttons. Unfortunately, it just never came up. The whole deal with Richard coming out to the tribe (mainly Rudy and Dirk being the only ones that he's actually coming out to) would've been a lot different with Sonja there as well.

I also think Sonja saying "go get 'em guys" is more Sonja than team-oriented, as you'll see in the next boot, the boot doesn't really give much of a damn.

I don't really know much about this, but there were also reward challenges during the time in this episode, as well as the next one, but they didn't make the final cut, and from what I understand the rewards were fairly trivial, as the show hadn't really figured out how to give good rewards. (Compare a reward in season 34, which was literally 10 extra-large pizzas and the end of the pre-merge phase, to a reward later this season, which was literally a single slice of cheese pizza).

Focusing on stuff Richard says is one of the best parts about watching the first season, because it really, really shows the extra level that he was thinking on compared to almost everyone else. While I don't agree with this claim, some people say that no one has ever played a better game than he did this first season, and while I think its preposterous, you can see why people say it. There was no blueprint. Pagong had no fucking idea what they were doing, aside from arguably Jenna, depending on your sources. Tagi, for the most part, its clear who was playing the game and who was building a bowling alley in the sand, and even beyond that, you see the mental divide between Richard and the rest of his future alliance. Wiglesworth didn't know how to win, only how to go further. Sue knew how to win, she just didn't have the appeal. Rudy didn't know how to win, just that he had no choice but to stick with an alliance or he'd be a goner. Richard knew how to win, and the remaining episodes really are a Richard en-route to victory highlight reel.

Man, this turned out to be longer than I thought it would be.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

thesunfan, your fanboy side is showing!

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
the sun fan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
thesunfan, your fanboy side is showing!
Oh no! I'm so embarrassed!!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

YES CELERY

I've seen almost every season of Survivor, I haven't finished this season yet though thank you for the reminder
FOREVER WAITING
I might join you in some rewatching too ^^ I've been wanting to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected

Last edited by mellonxcollie; 01-17-2018 at 10:03 PM..
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Quote:
Oh no! I'm so embarrassed!!!!

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Something that makes me sad that Sonja was voted out so early, and this is never mentioned, or hinted at beyond anything you couldn't possibly see unless you already knew why, but Sonja was on the same tribe as Richard almost certainly because she is a lesbian, and that was meant to push Rudy's buttons. Unfortunately, it just never came up. The whole deal with Richard coming out to the tribe (mainly Rudy and Dirk being the only ones that he's actually coming out to) would've been a lot different with Sonja there as well.
I think it's good that it didn't aggravate him further, at least given the significance of the first season. If it was that drama heavy and such, it may have ended poorly and garnered negative publicity (see: Will in WA), and given how important S1 typically is for a show, it's probably a good thing it didn't work out that way. I think it's also just as lucky that Rudy is... well, not entirely what they expected. There were still some hilarious moments due to the whole homosexual/military situation, but they weren't such in an antagonistic way, which is great I'd say.

Just imagine if someone like Colton (who I hear is actually really cool and such out of the game) was in S1 on Rudy's tribe... then it might have been really bad.

Quote:
I don't really know much about this, but there were also reward challenges during the time in this episode, as well as the next one, but they didn't make the final cut, and from what I understand the rewards were fairly trivial, as the show hadn't really figured out how to give good rewards. (Compare a reward in season 34, which was literally 10 extra-large pizzas and the end of the pre-merge phase, to a reward later this season, which was literally a single slice of cheese pizza).
I think that's a testament to the shift the game has undertaken; rewards used to be focused heavily on helping your survival, be it mentally or physically. Even the one slice of pizza has that; it gives that connection to home, so to speak. Now with rewards like yacht trips and such being fairly common, it's less about helping survival and more about an actual out-of-game boon. I don't think it's better or worse either way, it's more just another sign of a shift in Survivor.

Quote:
Focusing on stuff Richard says is one of the best parts about watching the first season, because it really, really shows the extra level that he was thinking on compared to almost everyone else. While I don't agree with this claim, some people say that no one has ever played a better game than he did this first season, and while I think its preposterous, you can see why people say it. There was no blueprint. Pagong had no fucking idea what they were doing, aside from arguably Jenna, depending on your sources. Tagi, for the most part, its clear who was playing the game and who was building a bowling alley in the sand, and even beyond that, you see the mental divide between Richard and the rest of his future alliance. Wiglesworth didn't know how to win, only how to go further. Sue knew how to win, she just didn't have the appeal. Rudy didn't know how to win, just that he had no choice but to stick with an alliance or he'd be a goner. Richard knew how to win, and the remaining episodes really are a Richard en-route to victory highlight reel.
I'll discuss the whole Hatch = best player ever ordeal once I'm done my S1 rewatch, but I'd say that I disagree, though not too heavily. I think it's something that's impossible to really prove the merit of, because no season will be quite like S1 again, as there will always be the so-called blueprint to follow.

If going from a "Richard controlled the masses better than anyone!!", you could easily argue that Boston Rob did the same in RI, maybe even better; I know RI was a shitshow and some say the season was literally designed to give BRob the win, but I don't consider that diminishing of BRob's strengths.

If going from a "He innovated ____ so he's the best!" perspective, then many people did that. Cirie (I think it was her anyways) came up with the splitting votes strategy to avoid getting idol'd; Russell Hantz, love him or hate him, brought a whole new strategy to the game that's been seen often since; Sandra brought and perfected the UTR strategy (mostly UTR anyways), etc etc.

I think it's really impossible to tell if Hatch in S1 was the best player ever, because there will never be another chance to ever compare it fairly, and it's so different from everyone else that it can't even be put on the same level. Just like anyone who invented anything really; it's hard to call them the best at ___ because there's so many factors in place. Is Bill Gates the best OS developer? Did the first brewery make the best beer ever? Sure, neither of these are exactly to the point, but the gist of it is that I don't think it's all that possible to argue whether or not he was the best player ever.

Also you just reminded me that I need to go back to sucks sometime, I really should brush up on my strategy.

Quote:
Man, this turned out to be longer than I thought it would be.
I love it when things turn out to be longer than I thought.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 06-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #18
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
YES CELERY

I've seen almost every season of Survivor, I haven't finished this season yet though thank you for the reminder

I might join you in some rewatching too ^^ I've been wanting to do that
We could totally just like, marathon a season or two one weekend.
Only if it's a good season though

like Cagayan
or Vanuatu
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 06-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #19
Celirra
FFR Player

I actually have to skip tonight (wow skipping on day 2, smh), because my internet is shit right now so I can't stream episodes.

Oh well, at least it's almost the weekend, so I can make up for it
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #20
the sun fan
FFR Player

Cao Boi invented splitting the vote, not Cirie.
Cirie was the first to orchestrate a splitting of the votes that resulted in a plurality, rather than a majority, sending someone home, and this was in the final 6 of Panama.