Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Zaevod
FFR Player

Default Re: This really pisses me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy42690 View Post
For me, the hardest part of living with autism isn't the symptoms. It's the judgemental pricks like the one that wrote this letter. I can't even count how many times I've seen and heard such derogatory comments. I know I should just ignore people like this and not let it get to me, but knowing that there's so many people out there just like One Pissed Off Mother that's getting pretty hard to do. Really now, telling the parent to euthanize the kid because "we are ALL better off!!!"? That's just downright vulgar.

I'm glad Max has gotten so much support and I really hope they find whoever wrote this.
Woah, I find a lot of autistic people in the internet but I confess I never actually met one in real life :/
Zaevod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Everything about that letter is disgraceful. Ignorance, ill will, passive aggression... this lady has it all.

Quote:
For me, the hardest part of living with autism isn't the symptoms. It's the judgemental pricks like the one that wrote this letter. I can't even count how many times I've seen and heard such derogatory comments.
That's disappointing to hear. I'm under the impression that autism awareness (and an implication of better responses) has increased over time and will continue to increase. We should be able to largely get past this.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
gameboy42690
=/
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
That's disappointing to hear. I'm under the impression that autism awareness (and an implication of better responses) has increased over time and will continue to increase. We should be able to largely get past this.
It's gotten better over the years but there's still a tremendous amount of crap out there. To be fair though I probably hear about this kind of stuff more often being in the autism community.
gameboy42690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Alioth
Banned

Quote:
It's gotten better over the years but there's still a tremendous amount of crap out there. To be fair though I probably hear about this kind of stuff more often being in the autism community.
I do agree with that statement. It has been worse...especially when I was in high school ('06 - '10). Annoying people aren't going away anytime soon though...disabled or not. However, I do give everyone a chance in some form or another. I just do not get any entertainment out of someone's misery, and if it seems like I do, it's usually because my first defense is to go for the jugular..which isn't necessary.

With all that said, I do believe that having autism is a gift, but a curse at the same time. It's like being famous to an extent...people with any form of autism are usually incredibly talented IMO. However, you have to deal with miserable people at the same time, which can get really tiring.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
d4u7211
Aficionado of Awk
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to d4u7211

mfw when i read the letter

d4u7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
James May
FFR Player

Not going to comment on it. I read through it and I'm just about to lose it. I guess having a sister who has autism sort of impacts me even more and even more so when I've been involved with them within the school years. Just hope that Baka gets what she deserved...

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #27
DragonIIDX
Not dragon, but dinosaur
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DragonIIDX

Quote:
For me, the hardest part of living with autism isn't the symptoms. It's the judgemental pricks like the one that wrote this letter. I can't even count how many times I've seen and heard such derogatory comments.
Agreed. I have autism also, and I've had my fair share of being picked on in school. The comments used to get to me, but after so long of hearing them, having really matured in the last few years, and being out of grade school for a few years now, it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It's been great.

This letter is just way over the top though. Not even sure what to think about it... telling her to "euthanize" her kid so everyone would be "better off?" Are you kidding me? I really hope they find the person who wrote this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasko1000 View Post
banned for having an affair with peach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
d-guy and d-guy skype pals 10/15/13
Simfiles Updated 11/30/13

Last edited by DragonIIDX; 08-20-2013 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: forgot BEING
DragonIIDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #28
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Just call the police, file harassment claim, and be done with it. Everyone gets so butthurt over stuff that shouldn't have even been made public.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #29
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Well I do believe it's more than just filing a report and keeping it all hush-hush. The other half is about raising awareness of attitudes against autistic people. Very, very unfortunate situation I have to say. There will always be haters, but you're not doing yourself any favor by keeping those issues incognito. It's important that people are aware of them.

I'm not autistic but I certainly have met a lot of autistic people who are incredibly nice - and just look at the ones here on this site. I would've never known many of you have that condition, and I still wouldn't treat you guys any differently.

Would be interested to see when that person has been caught.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #30
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Well, to be fair there is a big difference between having an ASD and having Autism, since most people that have autism are mentally handicapped (have MR), whereas this rarely applies to other ASD's (nobody with MR is posting in this thread).

i.e. Aspergers and other ASD's are not Autism. There is actually a very important distinction between the two. I suspect many people in this thread are Asperger or PDD-NOS and not Autistic, since high functioning Autism is almost unheard of. Autism necessitates retarded cognitive development and language. The same signs present in people of normal cognitive development is called Asperger syndrome. People that have signs of Autism and functional impairment but do not meet full clinical criteria for diagnosis are referred to as PDD-NOS.

With that said, this letter is...incredibly stupid and rude.

Last edited by Reach; 08-20-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
Zaevod
FFR Player

Why do I have a strong feeling this "one pissed off mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is actually a bunch of stupid teenagers?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Because who the fuck says 'scram'
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #33
moches
FFR Player

I have nothing to add. Those of you who have to deal with these bigoted attitudes in real life are heroes.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
Zaevod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX View Post
Because who the fuck says 'scram'
Scram, you blockhead.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #35
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

i.e. Aspergers and other ASD's are not Autism. There is actually a very important distinction between the two. I suspect many people in this thread are Asperger or PDD-NOS and not Autistic, since high functioning Autism is almost unheard of.
The DSM is being updated to incorporate everything from Asperger's Syndrome through to the far Extremes of Autism as "Autism Spectrum Disorder" so this will shortly no longer be true, and I suspect Asperger's will just become the most high-functioning low-mental disabling point on a continuum that goes all the way to essential nun-functionality.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
The DSM is being updated to incorporate everything from Asperger's Syndrome through to the far Extremes of Autism as "Autism Spectrum Disorder" so this will shortly no longer be true, and I suspect Asperger's will just become the most high-functioning low-mental disabling point on a continuum that goes all the way to essential nun-functionality.
When I was in neuroscience, all of those disorders were already classified as ASDs, i.e. Autism Spectrum Disorders.

However, the emphasis on 'disorderS' was quite clear. They weren't the same thing at all.

So are you saying that they're all going to be collectively called an "Autism Spectrum Disorder" with no differentiation??

I highly disagree with such a change and am pretty shocked if that's the case.

I haven't followed the DSM 5 at all though so I'll have to look into it to see what's going on here.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Well, not no differentiation, just points of severity on a scale. As I understand it, this is mostly already being done.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #38
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

I bet the mom of the retard wrote the letter herself to get pity for her retarded son.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #39
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I think many of the high functioning autism cases I know of may not be autism at all. idk I hate to question a proper diagnosis, but looking at kids like my brother compared to people who call themselves "autistic" makes me wonder if people self-diagnose themselves and don't know much about it.

So I'm not going to read this letter, I've seen a few bits of it. Makes me sick. Get these people out of my country.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #40
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thhour View Post
I bet the mom of the retard wrote the letter herself to get pity for her retarded son.
I can't tell if you're trolling or just extremely insensitive. Overwhelming amounts of ignorance in just one sentence.