Old 09-2-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1
Default Re: Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFRBowl

Sign me up, but dont you think if theres more players in a division and its harder to get top 3 in it that you should give more credits in prices than say d5 that will probly have less than 5 as usual and where 3 will get free credits cause the 2 others didt submit?

This is why i dont like pre-established prices. My opinion though, had to say it.
Old 09-2-2009, 09:07 PM   #22
Dark_Chrysalis
Something clever.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Dark_Chrysalis

Q: Alright then... how the hell do you pair these rounds up?
A: I will gladly show you... with pretty pictures so you can understand better! You will see in the following picture, I have the results from Round 1. Next to each persons score is, in order; 1st Tiebreaker (in brackets), 2nd Tiebreaker (in braces), Point marker (whether or not you get a point)

After we get all those figured out, we condense the list into standings. The names are put first in order of points (your Round 1 score is shown currently, but total points will be shown in later Rounds), then in order of 1st TB, then 2nd TB. In this tournament, the higher the Tiebreaker, the worse it is. Low numbers = good, like in golf.

Doesn't that look a little better? Finally, to pair the Rounds, we divide each section as evenly as possible.. currently, with 21 people @ 1 Point, the highest ranking person with 0 Points will have to be paired with someone with 1 Point. This is known as being "paired up", and there's no way for it to be avoided if odd numbers happen. So then, with 22 people now in the 1st section, I can pair 11 matches.

However, we dont simply go 1st person, 2nd person, etc. If that were the case, all the best people would play each other immediately instead of later in the tournament. Imagine if, in the NBA tournament, all the best teams faced each other for the 1st game. How lame would the Finals be when we get to them? To avoid this, we split each division up equally (in this case, a line after the 11th person). Then, we simply pair the people in the same position on their side of the line (noted by the blue numbers)

Long story short, a lot of work goes into these placements and match-ups, so start appreciating it . If this is a little too much beyond your understanding, don't worry about it; at least I know what I'm doing

Q: Well, how do tiebreaks work with the rankings then?
A: Tiebreakers for Swiss system aren't like regular tiebreakers. It isn't an extra song you have to play or anything like that. They are simply calculated statistics about how you've been doing throughout the whole tournament. They have some relevance when pairing Rounds, but they are most importantly used when many people have the same points, but only a few of them can advance. There is a tiny hiccup about them though: they have to be specifically tailored for each game. Tiebreakers for Chess will not be the same for Bridge or Scrabble. Some games even have 3 individual ones! Therefore, I have designed what I feel are comparable tiebreakers which should allow the technically better player to advance. They will be deemed T1 and T2.

T1 is simply a cumulative record of your score for each Round. Someone at 4-1 who gets Blackflags all Rounds would be expected to go farther than someone at 4-1 with 9-0-0-0 every Round. This pushes participants to strive for getting the best score absolutely possible for them, and not to simply skate by each Round. T2 is a little trickier. This will be a cumulative record of all your OPPONENT'S scores. If P1 and P2 are at 5-0 with all AAA's, but P1's opponent's only scored 7 Goods compared to P2's opponents scoring 82 Goods, most would agree that P1 had a tougher margin to defeat each Round. These two phrases should clear up any questions about what T1 and T2 actually mean to you, the players.

T1: Yeah, we both have the same score but I hit notes better so STFU
T2: Yeah, we both hit notes well but my opponents were harder to defeat so STFU

This is why good sportsmanship is key in this tournament. If leonid gets pissed because he lost 3 in a row and doesn't submit the next 2 Rounds, his opponents' tiebreakers are now wrecked with hundreds of Misses. However, if it becomes apparent that the opponent is just doing this to spite the player, or if an outstanding circumstance forces a player out of the tourney, the submitted score will stand for the player but the score for the opponent's tiebreaker will become 15 Goods worse. For example: Sprite- is playing MrRubix Round 5. Rubix AAA's Excite Bike, so Sprite- decides to submit a score of 0-5-12-15-284. Obviously, he's doing this for sabotage, so the awesome T.O. (me!) will help out Rubix by telling MrRubik's STATS that Sprite- got 17-15-0-0-0. However, Sprite-'s score will still stand for his own stats (aren't I nice). If for some reason a person didnt submit a score, you will automatically win and 15 Goods will be added to your TB2. If this still isn't clear, I can explain more once the situation comes to life. Hopefully I won't have to implement this since we're all such good sports, right?

If... IF... somehow both of these tiebreakers are the same, the 2 players will be considered exactly equal in skill. So if 8th Place and 9th Place in D3 are dead even, both will have to advance to the bracket and I'll have to work something out. Please don't do this to me XD

Q: Long winded fellow, aren't ya? Any advice for teh CPU noobs on submitting scores?
A: Well, I can't program like lightdarkness. Even if I could, Synth wouldn't let me use the site's stats for a dashboard of my own. Unfortunately, that means everyone has to take a SS of their scores. If you don't know how to take a screenshot, here's how: For PC, its PrintScreen or "PrtSc" (look for it in the top right of the keyboard), then pasting the shot in MS Paint or Photoshop or whatever; for Macs, Command-Shift-3 will save your screen as a PNG on the desktop. Try to get the score and the top right part of FFR that show's you're logged in. Bonus points for date and time too.

After you got the picture, go ahead and upload it onto Imageshack, PhotoBucket, or whereever you kids these days put that stuff. Take the link and put it between some image tags like so:

[img]url://picturesite.com/randomstuff/submission.png[/img]

And it will turn out like this:

Q: Not to sound greedy or anything (since this tournament sounds so ridiculously badass) but the last tournament I was in didn't really get much monetary support. I have to ask: how much are you packing?
A: I'm packing 750,000 but people have donated, making the pot even larger! Here's how the pot will be split up:

1st Place Overall: 200,000
2nd Place Overall: 150,000
3rd Place Overall: 100,000
4th Place Overall: 60,000
5th Place Overall: 40,000

1st Place in each Division: 40,000
2nd Place in each Division: 25,000
3rd Place in each Division: 10,000

DONATIONS
==========================
Dark_Chrysalis - 750,000
-FlukeRun- - 200,000
DARKLORDPANTS - 50,000
r3v0lut10nm4st3r11 - 7,000

Total Pot: 1,007,000
Placement Prizes: 925,000

DIVISION PLACEMENTS

D5
===================
-FlukeRun-
[TeRa]
A2P
alloyus
Bluearrowll
Myattboy
TC_Halogen

D4
===================
bob bob
JMC 9790
kjwkjw
krunkykai22
Kynosaur
LegendaryMaster
Niala
r3v0lut10nm4st3r11
TC_goelo
TC_Pr0
tgknight
Utukku
Vanilla MnM

D3
===================
8 Hour Whore
AC1speakerbox
Andrew Mitchell
Bolth Mannn
Dark_Chrysalis (ghost)
dragonmegaxx
firefox01
Gun92
hi_top
ic0slayer
megamon88
MetalAtlas
Rodrig0v
Sh0ckw4v3
will08
Xx{Midnight}xX

D2
====================
Brycexx
Card Man
ChiefOlukOneHand
DARKLORDPANTS
Guest15937
icefox63
Mioku
Nullwardog
psychoangel691

D1
===================
{Mystery}
JD_Flava
JohnRedWolf87
rusty_spoons
ssgoku42_00

Last edited by Dark_Chrysalis; 09-20-2009 at 03:18 AM..
Old 09-2-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
R3v0lut10nm4st3r11
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

count me in. looks like you put a lot of work into making this tournament and i hope it shows. Best of luck...

pstttttt add my 7k donation

Top 3 finishes

2nd Place-Can you Beat Dragon's Fury Tournament (expert)
2nd Place-Dragon Fury's Team Tournament (advanced)
3rd Place-Phantom/Slayer Rock Fest (advanced)

This might be the stupidest comment I have ever heard in my life.
Old 09-2-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Chrysalis View Post
In all fairness, I could just make the splits 10-6-4 for all divisions. If people like that more, I'll change it
I like that a lot more.
Old 09-2-2009, 09:16 PM   #25
will08
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

count me in
Old 09-2-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
TC_Pr0
Washed up d5 player
FFR Veteran

I'm in.
Old 09-2-2009, 10:46 PM   #27
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

I almost read half of that. In. I remember I've done one or two sorta like this before. Should be fun.
Old 09-2-2009, 11:10 PM   #28
Dark_Chrysalis
Something clever.

edit: nvm

Last edited by Dark_Chrysalis; 09-3-2009 at 01:59 AM..
Old 09-2-2009, 11:12 PM   #29
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

My basic understanding is this. We play one on one, you win, you get a point, you lose no points. Then after the normal rounds are done, you get seeded according to how you did normally, and then play a tournament style one on one thing to determine the winner? Is that it in a nut shell? lol

I don't know about points, like I said, I only read about half of the post.
Old 09-2-2009, 11:17 PM   #30
Dark_Chrysalis
Something clever.

Yeah, long post is loooooong.

Also, I put a little extra clarification as to what exactly the tiebreakers mean to you, the participants. You don't have to worry about how they are calculated, all you have to know is the better you play, the better your tiebreakers. Plain and simple. If I were to put the tiebreakers into phrases instead of numbers, this is what they would say:

T1: Yeah, we both have the same score but I hit notes better so STFU
T2: Yeah, we both hit notes well but my opponents were harder to defeat so STFU

All that extra crap at the end of the tiebreaker section is really just a formality. If noone throws a bitchfit or quits, I (and you) won't have to worry about it. If it does happen, I promise I will take care of it and explain exactly what's going on

Old 09-2-2009, 11:23 PM   #31
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

I'm not even going to worry about any of that lol
I'm just going to play whatever songs the OP says I have to. XD
Old 09-2-2009, 11:41 PM   #32
-FlukeRun-
FFR Player

In, if a SS like this is acceptable: (I use the flash file)

Old 09-3-2009, 01:48 AM   #33
TC_goelo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Sounds interesting
in btw

Old 09-3-2009, 02:02 AM   #34
Dark_Chrysalis
Something clever.

@Gun: Yes, that's it in a nutshell. One on one for points. I WILL seed everyone so you can see how well you did at the end, but only the top-8 in points will advance to the brackets

@fluke: That's going to be fine

Old 09-3-2009, 03:11 AM   #35
ssgoku42_00
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ssgoku42_00

DARK im in

2nd Place Can You Beat The Dragons_Fury team members tourney
3rd Place Dragons_Fury tournament novice division

Old 09-3-2009, 05:48 AM   #36
Bolth mannn
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

in for advanced
Old 09-3-2009, 06:02 AM   #37
LegendaryMaster
FFR Player

In D3 I think. I dont know.
Old 09-3-2009, 06:34 AM   #38
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3

Send a message via AIM to krunkykai22 Send a message via Yahoo to krunkykai22 Send a message via Skype™ to krunkykai22

HeY DaRk <3 ^_^

IN!
Old 09-3-2009, 06:37 AM   #39
Andrew Mitchell
Banned
FFR Veteran

in
Old 09-3-2009, 09:22 AM   #40
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1

I'm gonna have to be honest, after reading i dont exactly know how the 1v1 stuff will work lol, is that 1 opponent for like 4 days of a round or during one round we get to 1v1 more than one person? 4 days is a long time when you aaa'd the song within minutes lol.
Closed Thread